New Tipping Question - Norwegian Dawn Suite

Gampy1967

A new tipping question.  I know that while staying in a suite, I will need to tip the Butler and Concierge as they are not included in the DSC.  With the DSC now in full affect, do they still leave tip envelopes in the suite or do I need to bring a couple envelopes with me?

Thanks.

Been on 5 cruises with NCL, they do not do the "envelope thing" at all, tipping is up to you as are the envelopes you use...We always bring a few Thank you cards which we use when leaving something for either the Butler, Concierge or room steward...

Enjoy your cruise on the Dawn, we're booked for Feb 2020...

Not sure what you mean by DSC in full effect as it has been around for years and even the higher suite rates have been around for over three years.

We just ask concierge for envelopes.  On the big ships the put some on concierge desk last couple nights.

Have fun on the Dawn.

12 minutes ago, roboclam said:

Been on 5 cruises with NCL, they do not do the "envelope thing" at all, tipping is up to you as are the envelopes you use...We always bring a few Thank you cards which we use when leaving something for either the Butler, Concierge or room steward...

Enjoy your cruise on the Dawn, we're booked for Feb 2020...

Didn't even think about the thank you cards.  That is a better idea than just a plain white envelope.

I just ask the front desk for a few sheets of paper and a few envelops.  I write a thank you note and then put the tip money that I wish to give in the envelope for the individuals.  If I feel it is justified, I also write a HERO card for them and deposit it down at the desk.  Lately, I've had non refundable OBC on my account.  So instead of cash, I've gotten vouchers for the individuals and put them in the envelopes.  

A few cruises ago we started using vouchers for the concierge, butler, and room steward. Go to the front desk and they will just charge the desired amount to your account and give you a copy of the voucher and an envelope to present to the appropriate person. That way we don't need to bring lots of extra cash.

We usually write a note using the stationary pad that's always in the room, saying thank you. For the concierge, we just go to the desk and give it to them, and say our farewells. For the butler, we'll hand it to them if we see them, if we don't, we just leave it in the room.

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't use a enveope or a thank you card, I simply hand them the tip and express to them in person how they made my cruise enjoyable and thank them.  

I do what my dad taught me 50+ years ago.  I fold up the bill(s) within my right palm.  I extend my right arm to shake hands and press the funds into the recipient's palm.  Simultaneously, I look the recipient in the eyes and thank him or her sincerely (for whatever services were rendered).  An experienced recipient (virtually all Haven employees) will lower his or her palm into a pocket without looking, maintain eye contact, and tell me it was his or her pleasure.  

This little ritual may seem a tad old-fashioned, but to my mind it maintains a sense of dignity for both parties that handing over an envelope sometimes does not quite establish.

Edited by FLAHAM