best way to get local money?

powerdog

1 minute ago, powerdog said:

Would like to have modest amounts of local currency for Sweden and Denmark. What's the best way/place to convert $25 to $50 of US money? Can it be done by Viking on the ship? Thanks.

Unless it has recently changed Viking does not change currency onboard.  Your bank may be able to supply you with it before you go but money changers and ATMs are pretty much everywhere.  On WC1 we used ATMs only in banks and had no problems whatsoever.  At moneychangers we used US$.  Yes, you take a hit on the exchange and might have foreign transaction fees at ATMs but if they don't make a few $$ providing this service for travelers then changing money would be a real hassle.  Every business exists to make some money. 

We always use Visa wherever possible, but do purchase small amounts of foreign currency for each port from our local bank before departure. Similar to Jim, if we require additional cash, will only use ATM's at a bank.

Also note that neither Denmark or Sweden use the Euro.

We got the ours at Wells Fargo.  It's not our bank but you can order from them.  We sat down and figured out about how much we would be spending including tips and ordered that amount. If we had any leftovers, Wells Fargo would buy them back.  We ran out in Denmark but luckily the cabs accepted credit cards.  I think we got 7 or 8 different currencies all at the same time.  We liked having the money beforehand so we didn't have to take the time in port to look for an ATM.

Bank of America has reciprocal agreements for ATM use with several European banks.  Deutsche Bank (Germany and Spain), BNP Paribas (France), Barclays (UK and Ireland), etc.  BAC also has an agreement with Scotiabank for ATM use in much of the Caribbean.

My recollection is there was a foreign exchange fee of 3%

American Express also has a robust network for ATM cash withdrawals.  Danske Bank in Denmark, Bank Pekao in Poland,  Sondrio in Italy, Euronet in much of Europe, etc.

You enroll a card, and link it to an eligible US bank account.  There's a fee, of course.

We always get more than we think we’ll need from the bank before traveling.  We store the leftovers in our safe until either we go back, or some young person we know is going there.  We stick the leftovers in a bon voyage card for them 🙂

Recently, a niece and her husband were going on their first trip out of the country, to Spain, so we gave them each a card with 500 Euros in it.  Needless to say they were quite surprised and happy when they opened them!

21 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

We always get more than we think we’ll need from the bank before traveling.  We store the leftovers in our safe until either we go back, or some young person we know is going there.  We stick the leftovers in a bon voyage card for them 🙂

Recently, a niece and her husband were going on their first trip out of the country, to Spain, so we gave them each a card with 500 Euros in it.  Needless to say they were quite surprised and happy when they opened them!

Raggy,

Lois and I just love leftovers.  I will email you our address.  We promise to be excited too when you send each of us 500 Euros.  Thanks pal!🍺

• Haha 2

Never had US Dollars refused for a tip.  Use bank ATMs for local currency if required, but a credit card works in most places.  Certainly in Sweden and Denmark.  On WC now and no way would pay fees for all the different currencies required.  ATMs in Rio de Janeiro were out of cash on a Sunday, but a Money Exchange filled the bill.   

Thank you all for the helpful replies. A few things about my situation: 

We live in northern Vermont, and there are no large bank branches here. I checked a few Vermont bank websites, and it looks like the ones that have any foreign currency only have Euros, and money for Mexico and Canada.

I guess our best bet it to arrive at our first city, Copenhagen, and get money from a bank ATM there. I know that my card has the "Plus" logo on it, but I'm not sure that does any good, as Visa's website mentions fee-free withdrawls only for U.S. ATMs.

With our bank, they normally stock US & Sterling, but with about 2 weeks notice will bring in any currency and deliver it to the closest branch.

We also have a "Plus" ATM and have always been able to find a suitable ATM. Costs of using are another issue.

On 3/6/2019 at 7:18 AM, jiminyC_fan said:

We got the ours at Wells Fargo.  It's not our bank but you can order from them.  We sat down and figured out about how much we would be spending including tips and ordered that amount. If we had any leftovers, Wells Fargo would buy them back.  We ran out in Denmark but luckily the cabs accepted credit cards.  I think we got 7 or 8 different currencies all at the same time.  We liked having the money beforehand so we didn't have to take the time in port to look for an ATM.

I do have an account at Wells Fargo & do the exact same thing that jiminy_Cfan does.  I like to give tips in the local currency to the guides.  Usually we charge everything else on a card that doesn’t have a foreign transaction fee.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2019 at 4:31 PM, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Golly, I'd be happy, too!  And, hey, I'm going to Spain later this year...and I can think of several swell ways to "appreciate" 500 euros....  Should I post my snail-mail address?!?!  🙂