Cat E should maybe be Cat H on R ships

Petoonya

This is an "if wishes were horses beggers would ride" post. So be nice- a bit of tongue in cheek here.

First O cruise was on Regatta 13-14 years ago Mediterranean with a G guarantee. So thrilled with an 'upgrade' to Cat E that pre-cruise that I never noticed on the deck plan that the cabin had 143sq ft, no sofa, and forward/aft orientation. Regardless the cruise was fabulous- everything- and we were stuck on O forever. But I never forgot the holy moley moment viewing that E cabin for the first time. For us the little bit extra cabin space with no window of the G, would have well outweighed the view of the lifeboats and tiny-ness of the E.

We always try to get G guarantees- book a G and watch  religiously for a guarantee as we could not afford to cruise O otherwise. But ever since that first O cruise I TREMBLE thinking that that E is what we'll get again NEXT TIME. Even as the saying goes "that's exactly what you bargained for" I think Cat E  is is the lesser comparing E and G. We've been very fortunate with upgrades or minimal cost upsells because of our TA- she once got us a penthouse and everything else has been an A or a B. Last cruise had an aft A2. If not for her we'd always be in E's.

But really, for those of you who are like me, frugal cruisers,  don't you find a G is nicer that a cat E?  Now fearful I'll be cursed with an E next cruise I have a guarantee for just for writing this. Truthfully we thank the heavens to be able to squeeze O into our financial picture even if it is in an E.

• Like 1

You're going to have a hard time getting the majority to buy into this theory as outside rooms have  been seen (and marketed) as more desirable for as long as people have been going to sea.

Whatever size the room itself may be, for many people a window is a must. 

Furthermore, the private veranda is THE SINGLE MOST POPULAR AMENITY in the Cruise Industry, today. 

Big is good, but it is nowhere near best......just ask the revenue department  :classic_wink:

Do you get a GTY cabin for less $ than if you choose a specific cabin?

I see the same price listed online   but maybe you get a better deal from the TA 

I will not book a GTY ..did it once on Princess

If  I cannot pick my cabin  then I do not book ..yes we have gotten upsells  but I always ask my TA to find out the location of the cabin if it is not where we like  then  I stay put

JMO

Stan and Jim....I'm certain you're correct- it's just a personal preference.

Most people would not book a GTY I agree LHT, but on a budget beggers can't be choosers. We'll take what we're given to board the ship. And I jump at a guarantee regardless if it's a G or an E if it gets me on the ship at a rate I can afford.  (Just prefer the G.) And no we get no better rate on a guarantee over a G. We've just gotten lucky to be upgraded to a nicer bigger cabin 8 out of 9 times. I'd love to have the luxury of choosing a pleasing location, but for some of us it's not possible

Edited by Petoonya

8 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Stan and Jim....I'm certain you're correct- it's just a personal preference.

Most people would not book a GTY I agree LHT, but on a budget beggers can't be choosers. We'll take what we're given to board the ship. A Cat E is what we'll l gladly on a guarantee to board O. (Just prefer the G.)

Size  wise  yes a G is better   

Do you have to accept  the E cat?  

I would object   if you booked  an inside  that is larger than the E

We booked an E once  & got an upsel to a C

we would make the E work  but was not my 1st choice  at the time

I am one of those people that need some natural light  so insides are not for me

17 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Size  wise  yes a G is better   

Do you have to accept  the E cat?  

I would object   if you booked  an inside  that is larger than the E

We booked an E once  & got an upsel to a C

we would make the E work  but was not my 1st choice  at the time

I am one of those people that need some natural light  so insides are not for me

Yes, was wondering if with a G guarantee I can refuse the E to stick with the G if it works out that's what we're assigned. Sincerely doubt it. Seems like you just do what they tell you to do with a GTY. I'm not griping at all- grateful to be on board at all. The windowless rooms are cozy to me but I'd take an outside or veranda with pleasure over them. The E actually worked fine for us but we missed the sofa.

One other thing I though of when we had that E cabin, 5 of the entertainment and enrichment cruisers were booked next to us. We figured they too were at the bottom of the barrel getting cabins we considered were lesser than G's. They have more clout to one way of thinking and not in mine.

Edited by Petoonya

I never have booked a G (because my husband needs a window to maintain his sanity) but our first three cruises ever, starting in 2008, all on Oceania, were in the E cabin, and we loved it.  We simply lucked out on our first cruise (on Nautica) because we naively booked only two months in advance for a September cruise; we took E guarantee and were assigned the most forward starboard E cabin, 6033.  That cabin and its port counterpart, 6030, get great light because rather than a large lifeboat obstructing the window view and light there only is a davit  holding a small zodiac; the zodiac hangs below the window.

Yes, the cabin is small but we had them remove the round table and only slept, showered and dressed there.  We hung out in the beautiful library or on the pool deck. 

I should add that in 2011, we took a Baltic cruise on Marina (its first year of operation) and husband fell in love with the larger “O” ships so we never have returned to any of the Oceania “R” ships.  (And admittedly on Azamara, we always have had veranda cabins.)

I think you're going to be in the majority Pam as Stan and Jim said people like windows over enclosed spaces. 650+ pax is the max size ship we'll sail on so we're R people. Going to have to wait and see what we're assigned on the upcoming cruise. If it's an E at the pier I guess we'd be SOL.

Yikes! I am very sorry that you feel that way.

Two other nice things about the E cabin IMO: close to the forward elevator and, for queasy sailor me, great mid-ships location!

I guess this does not help so I wish you the best of luck in getting what you prefer.  

We booked an inside once, for a 31 day cruise and found we had no issues with it. While I prefer a window or balcony I'll take any of them. Like Petoonya it's frequently a money issue. I'd rather go twice in an inside or OV instead of once in a Veranda or PH. 

1 hour ago, ORV said:

We booked an inside once, for a 31 day cruise and found we had no issues with it. While I prefer a window or balcony I'll take any of them. Like Petoonya it's frequently a money issue. I'd rather go twice in an inside or OV instead of once in a Veranda or PH. 

That says it all ORV. Give me two G GTY's over a veranda cabin assignment on O and I'm over the moon. Give me a paid for veranda assignment and I couldn't afford the cruise.

11 hours ago, Petoonya said:

650+ pax is the max size ship we'll sail on so we're R people.

That is  too bad   because  IMO  the O ships  are very nice  & you never feel like there are 1250 pax onboard

they do not feel like big ships to me  but that is just my opinion

We did a B2B  in an inside on a small ship  not Oceania  the cabin might have  been 84 sq ft I then discovered I need  a window of some sort :classic_biggrin:

We only took the inside to get a longer cruise in our budget

If I could not afford  a C or D cabin on O  I would try the E  as we are not in the cabin very much anyway ..the only thing that puts me off the E is the crew may be outside your window at anytime  LOL

Hopefully you will get your inside cabin

• Like 1

Thanks LHT. Maybe one day we'll try an O ship if I can convince husband. He has become so accustomed to the nice upgrades we get it'll serve us right to get an E!

Edited by Petoonya

We booked at "E" once.  I would never do it again. We don't spend much time in the cabin, but when there is not room for two people to shower and dress at the same time, then the cabin is too small. I have heard from others on this board that love them, and find them the undiscovered gems.  Not me.  I will take an inside over an "E" any day. 

41 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

We booked at "E" once.  I would never do it again. We don't spend much time in the cabin, but when there is not room for two people to shower and dress at the same time, then the cabin is too small. I have heard from others on this board that love them, and find them the undiscovered gems.  Not me.  I will take an inside over an "E" any day. 

I love the diversity of opinion being expressed just in this thread alone.  

I found that sailing in the E cabins led us to meet many fellow cruisers because we spent so much time in the ship’s common areas.

It also forced us to put everything away because without a sofa there was practically nowhere at all to toss our clothes or any purchases! 😁

1 hour ago, CintiPam said:

It also forced us to put everything away because without a sofa there was practically nowhere at all to toss our clothes or any purchases! 😁

Hahaha!! An excellent point.

Like KS&JW felt we were doing contortions getting around each other in the E- and we're both tall narrow people. If nothing else and this is where we end up maybe I can find someone in an inside to trade with before they unpack! Regardless where we end up, we get onboard and count our blessings to be able to cruise these incredible ships.

Edited by Petoonya

4 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Hahaha!! An excellent point.

Like KS&JW felt we were doing contortions getting around each other in the E- and we're both tall narrow people. If nothing else and this is where we end up maybe I can find someone in an inside to trade with before they unpack! Regardless where we end up, we get onboard and count our blessings to be able to cruise these incredible ships.

If that is how you feel, why do you bother with the Guarantee at all? :classic_blink:

Book the inside cabin  that you like best and let those pesky  upgrades go to those who will universally enjoy them.

37 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

If that is how you feel, why do you bother with the Guarantee at all? :classic_blink:

Book the inside cabin  that you like best and let those pesky  upgrades go to those who will universally enjoy them.

As I've said 8 out of 9 times we end up either being upgraded or offered an A or B, or once even a penthouse at an extremely reasonable price. The guarantee works beautifully economically for us but there is always a chance we will not be able to afford the upsell and be stuck with the E. It's my choice and we're still willing to take the risk even tho the law of averages says someday we'll get the E. To me an E is still an H. Not to WS and some other passengers but definitely to me. They are not universally enjoyed as you see from this thread.

Edited by Petoonya