Zuiderdam Atrium Bar question

When the Vista class ships were built they all had a bar on Deck One of the Atrium near guest services.  Is this still used for bar service on Zuiderdam, or is it just an empty unused space?  I know it was ripped out of the Westerdam, but think it still remains on Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Noordam.  If not being used for bar service it would seem better to rip it out and use the space better, even if it were just to improve foot traffic flow through the Atrium.  An disused bar is rather an eyesore and sad IMHO.

image.png.5041b49758f5a079e95fb74ac5876cb5.png

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

The space was never used as fully as the designers seemed to envision. Except the removal of the original ceiling sculpture I personally love what was done to the Westerdams atrium. Definitely better than a sad disused bar taking up the space. 

I know Zuiderdam is heading to drydock in December for about 7/8 days and I’d love to see the Atrium, Pinnacle Bar and Ocean Bar redone but doubt that will happen. Probably little interior work will take place beyond normal maintenance 

1 hour ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Except the removal of the original ceiling sculpture I personally love 

That was removed on the Westerdam?  If so, BOO!  That was an interesting piece of art, I think.

Maybe, then, there is hope for the eventual removal of that "stalactite" type piece of "art" in the Atrium of the Eurodam.

Post renovation Westerdam Atrium ceiling and "sculpture"

image.thumb.png.c559a2021bbbdceab82706331058c996.png

While it creates a brighter, more modern and open look I have to admit the original Crystal Sculpture WAS beautiful!

Related image

I agree that the melting jellyfish vortex of doom on the Eurodam is one of their least successful atrium centerpieces

1 minute ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

New Atrium ceiling and "sculpture"

image.thumb.png.c559a2021bbbdceab82706331058c996.png

While it creates a brighter, more modern and open look I have to admit the original Crystal Sculpture WAS beautiful!

Related image

Thanks for posting these two photos AtlantaCruiser72!  I agree with your comments.  I really liked the crystal sculpture as I have on the other ships that have such.  They are beautiful and add much to the ambiance of the Atrium and the public space surrounding it.  I sail on Westerdam for the second time in July and look forward to seeing this "new space" for myself.  I appreciate a preview view!  Thanks, again!

Overall I think the Westerdam renovation is the most cohesive and successful of the Vista Class refits over the last few years, but sad when such beautifully crafted pieces of art are completely discarded. 

The photo review here on Cruise Critic is an excellent preview of her: https://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/westerdam-306/ 

The Atrium Bar, at one time known as the "Olive Pit," on the four Vistas used to be a busy place at certain times of the late afternoon/early evening, especially during the mixology classes. When Westerdam went to her Freeport dry-dock in April 2017, she had something known as the "Rijksmuseum at Sea" installed in her Deck 1 Atrium floor. The Rijksmuseum at Sea is based on the famous museum in Amsterdam, and on Westerdam includes reproductions of some of its most famous paintings, as well as hands-on workshops. This project included the removal of her Atrium Bar and the Deck 2 to Deck 1 Atrium stairs, a popular place for formal/Gala evening pics. (they, the stairs, not the pics, now stop on Deck 2 on Westerdam).

Zuiderdam was the next Vista to enter dry-dock in October/November 2017 where her Deck 1 Atrium area and carpet received a makeover and her shorex desk took off for the Crow's Nest however, she did not get the Rijksmuseum at Sea and both her Atrium Bar as well as her Deck 2 to Deck 1 Atrium stairs were retained. Same story with Oosterdam after her March/April 2018 dry-dock. 

It appears the Rijksmuseum at Sea idea has either been ground-filed after having been put on one ship and/or been put on a Seattle hold of an undetermined time period for the remaining three Vistas, the two Signatures and the two Pinnacles. It also seem the Atrium Bar, or at least the removal of same and the Deck 2 to Deck 1 stairs cut-off, were/are an integral part of getting the museum. So now, apart from Westie, you'll have what appears to be a bar that is unused/has no use in future plans. Same thing (no longer being used), btw, appears to be happening with the teens-only "Oasis" sun deck on the "S" and "R" ships

Image result for Rijksmuseum at Sea

Rijksmuseum at Sea on Westerdam, Deck 1 Atrium outside Guest Services

westerdam18.jpg

So they took the time to take out the crystal sculpture and replace it...which I feel looks great...but they left the “stairs of death” in the atrium?  Their removal on NA was one of the best things.