We decided! Need your help on a few items

traveltripper

Ok, maybe just three items.  Thanks everyone for helping me pick a ship and itinerary. 

We are 2 adults, no kids. Mid-40s, not big partiers by any means.  We slave all year long for a 2 wk trip overseas, can't wait!

We chose Seaview, Oct. 23, departing from Rome. Plan is to stay in Rome 3-4 days prior to boarding.

First item: Balcony room --- which deck? With Bella experience, we get deck 9. With Fantastica, we get as high as deck 15.

Second item -- anyone have problems with gluten free in the dining rooms and/or buffet? My husband is allergic. 

Third item -- Dining time. I don't get it. If we choose 7:45-9:30, can we show up right at 7:45?

Rome is a great departure point as it is too hard to see as an excursion in one day. 

First:  It's a hectic cruise with all port days, how important would room service for breakfast be?  How badly do you need early or late dining?  Currently you will only get bottled water during meals, if you would like a drinks package how would that and the spa pass & other perks calculate towards going Aurea with the Easy package?  Most Bella balconies are right above the promenade, there are a few better choices above more quiet areas like by the infinity bridges.  Since I doubt you will be using the pool deck that much the higher deck cabins might not be as handy.

Second:  MSC has a special assistance form attached below that you can fill out, a head waiter will see that his menu choices are met.  Send it to MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com   It's best to also inform them once on the ship.

Third:  See item one.  Otherwise there is a fifteen minute window to get yourself seated for each assigned time.  After that you may not be allowed into the dining room = buffet.

Special Needs Form Current.pdf

28 minutes ago, Fostelo said:

One thing i will note is be careful of the overhang from the pool deck. Best option is midship or forward if you like the sun on the balcony 

Meaning we won't get sun if we are on the aft? We aren't too picky about that - as there is a port every day on this trip. But we don't like cigarette smoke and enjoy peace and quiet. Thank you Fostelo.

9 minutes ago, Até said:

Rome is a great departure point as it is too hard to see as an excursion in one day. 

First:  It's a hectic cruise with all port days, how important would room service for breakfast be?  How badly do you need early or late dining?  Currently you will only get bottled water during meals, if you would like a drinks package how would that and the spa pass & other perks calculate towards going Aurea with the Easy package?  Most Bella balconies are right above the promenade, there are a few better choices above more quiet areas like by the infinity bridges.  Since I doubt you will be using the pool deck that much the higher deck cabins might not be as handy.

Second:  MSC has a special assistance form attached below that you can fill out, a head waiter will see that his menu choices are met.  Send it to MSCExistingReservations@msccruisesusa.com   It's best to also inform them once on the ship.

Third:  See item one.  Otherwise there is a fifteen minute window to get yourself seated for each assigned time.  After that you may not be allowed into the dining room = buffet.

Special Needs Form Current.pdf

Thank you Ate!!

On the room - I'm not familiar with the Easy package. Bottled water during meals is fine. As to drinks...I don't drink, my husband has maybe one per day. Every so often I'll have a soda water or diet Coke. So we usually don't opt for drink packages. Since we are in port every day, we won't care about room service either. In the mornings we usually grab something in the buffet then get off the ship ASAP.  At night we like to have dinner in the MDR or buffet, whatever is easiest.

I think the main draw on upgrading to Fantastica is the deck - we can go higher up. I'm concerned that deck 9 will have bothersome smoke and noise.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the form. I've saved it and will do as you say when contacting MSC.

7 minutes ago, traveltripper said:

Oops - Ate as to the dining room. If we pick 7:45 then I'd like to eat at that time, not late as in 9:00 PM. But it sounds like if we show up at 7:45 PM then we are good - yes?

No. You request to dine either early or late. Then once at the port you are given your assignment. If you aren't happy with it, you go directly to dining room once on board & request the dining slot you prefer. IF you are Bella experience, your request has a lower priority behind anyone who shows up with their request who is Fantastica. It doesn't mean you won't get the time you want. Just that you are more likely to NOT get the slot you want going in at Bella. If anyone wants the "anytime" dining, that is reserved for Aurea bookings....

Just now, kiminey65 said:

No. You request to dine either early or late. Then once at the port you are given your assignment. If you aren't happy with it, you go directly to dining room once on board & request the dining slot you prefer. IF you are Bella experience, your request has a lower priority behind anyone who shows up with their request who is Fantastica. It doesn't mean you won't get the time you want. Just that you are more likely to NOT get the slot you want going in at Bella. If anyone wants the "anytime" dining, that is reserved for Aurea bookings....

Ah, ok. Thanks for explaining that process!

2 hours ago, traveltripper said:

I think the main draw on upgrading to Fantastica is the deck - we can go higher up. I'm concerned that deck 9 will have bothersome smoke and noise.

I've not been on Seaview in Med.  Seaside limits smokers to the starboard side of the promenade, perhaps someone can elaborate on Seaview.  There are decent Bella balconies, but currently not a lot of choice on your sailing.  The $90pp more to go Fantastica is a little high since it no longer gets drink vouchers, but it will get you a better cabin choice and give you a very good chance at your preferred dining time.  $530pp more for Aurea is a stretch even for drinkers.  My only advice on a higher deck, other than not being under the pool deck, is to possibly stay away from the forward elevators as they get taken over by the Yacht Club priority which can become aggravating when it's seven decks up or down.

1 hour ago, Até said:

I've not been on Seaview in Med.  Seaside limits smokers to the starboard side of the promenade, perhaps someone can elaborate on Seaview.  There are decent Bella balconies, but currently not a lot of choice on your sailing.  The $90pp more to go Fantastica is a little high since it no longer gets drink vouchers, but it will get you a better cabin choice and give you a very good chance at your preferred dining time.  $530pp more for Aurea is a stretch even for drinkers.  My only advice on a higher deck, other than not being under the pool deck, is to possibly stay away from the forward elevators as they get taken over by the Yacht Club priority which can become aggravating when it's seven decks up or down.

My thoughts exactly. Good thoughts on the Yacht Club, although I was thinking forward. We could take the stairs to the buffet, but that's on deck 8! I'm leaning towards deck 11.

Their website says you get 12 drink vouchers including gelato with the Fantastica upgrade. I'll call and ask about smoking rules. Thank you!

1 hour ago, traveltripper said:

Their website says you get 12 drink vouchers including gelato with the Fantastica upgrade. I'll call and ask about smoking rules. Thank you!

Unfortunately the 12 drink vouchers are being discontinued as of the end of this month.

Hi Daisy, just figured that out by calling. The person I spoke with was not very helpful. She kept saying, "well usually..." and that didn't really get my confidence. I'm thinking of just calling back and trying another agent. While I was talking to her I could hear what sounded like a thousand other agents packed in a room. Kind of disappointing and not really what I'm accustomed to.

Well, I called back, got another person, who had no idea about decks, smoking, etc. She put me on hold for about 10 min and I got pulled away for a work item so I had to hang up! Yikes. Not trying to judge the whole company on this, but man this is not the greatest experience!

How important is a balcony to you, and how big a gambler are you?  I recently sailed Seaside, sister to Seaview.  When I booked, it was suggested that I book an OV gty, and would probably be upgraded to a balcony.  Why?  Ther are 80 OV cabins, about equally divided between Bella and Fantastica.  There are 1315 balconies.  I went for the Fantastica OV gty, and was assigned a Fantastica balcony on deck 14.  We would have been fine if we had just been given an OV, but it was fun to gamble a bit.  I did not book a Bella OV gty because I didn't want to chance getting upgraded to a Fantastica OV.  One caution about balcony cabins on Seaside/Seaview:  Some of the cabins for two have a tub/shower combo instead of a stall shower.  It is a nice deep tub, and actually gives you a larger shower area than the stalls.  It does decrease the interior spae in the cabin slightly, so you only get a love seat instead of a full couch.  EM

Well, I called back, got another person, who had no idea about decks, smoking, etc. She put me on hold for about 10 min and I got pulled away for a work item so I had to hang up! Yikes. Not trying to judge the whole company on this, but man this is not the greatest experience!

The US agents don't sell a lot of Med cruises, and Seaview is pretty new.  Sorry to say unless you get lucky or know who to talk with at MSC US it is better to research or ask questions here.  You will usually get a more accurate answer here.  One of the inconveniences of cruising MSC, luckily their on-ship experience is better.

Edited by Até

3 minutes ago, Até said:

The US agents don't sell a lot of Med cruises, and Seaview is pretty new.  Sorry to say unless you get lucky or know who to talk with at MSC US it is better to research or ask questions here.  You will usually get a more accurate answer here.  One of the inconveniences of cruising MSC, luckily their on-ship experience is better.

Ok, well that's good to know. I'm definitely an American (but try very hard not to act like an ugly one). Here, if you give bad service on the initial call it's assumed the whole thing is bad. We have pretty cut-throat business. 

I wonder if it's best to just book online and avoid the whole MSC agent thing.

I was trying to figure out smoking - since we are non-smokers. Wondering which side has it. Thinking the 13th deck is good for us, but not sure forward, aft or mid. Thank you Ate.

49 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How important is a balcony to you, and how big a gambler are you?  I recently sailed Seaside, sister to Seaview.  When I booked, it was suggested that I book an OV gty, and would probably be upgraded to a balcony.  Why?  Ther are 80 OV cabins, about equally divided between Bella and Fantastica.  There are 1315 balconies.  I went for the Fantastica OV gty, and was assigned a Fantastica balcony on deck 14.  We would have been fine if we had just been given an OV, but it was fun to gamble a bit.  I did not book a Bella OV gty because I didn't want to chance getting upgraded to a Fantastica OV.  One caution about balcony cabins on Seaside/Seaview:  Some of the cabins for two have a tub/shower combo instead of a stall shower.  It is a nice deep tub, and actually gives you a larger shower area than the stalls.  It does decrease the interior spae in the cabin slightly, so you only get a love seat instead of a full couch.  EM

Hi Em! Oh that's funny. Well, we aren't big gamblers. Not on a 2 wk trip overseas. Balconies are SUPER important to us. When we went to Scandinavia it was soooo romantic sailing into those ports. We are coming from Denver, Colo. so we MUST see the sea!

Back to the deck. I'm still stuck. We want to avoid cigarette smoke. We will def go for the Fantastica experience, but which deck?? 

Back to the deck. I'm still stuck. We want to avoid cigarette smoke. We will def go for the Fantastica experience, but which deck?? 

Well, MSC smoking policy is reportedly a lot more lax on Med sailings.  I've not sailed MSC there so don't know if smoking is restricted on either side of the promenade.  If you're going Fantastica then there are cabins far enough above the promenade that you won't get noise or smoke from there.  I think I've only ever seen it mentioned on Seaside cabin reviews on decks 9 and 10.

4 hours ago, Até said:

Well, MSC smoking policy is reportedly a lot more lax on Med sailings.  I've not sailed MSC there so don't know if smoking is restricted on either side of the promenade.  If you're going Fantastica then there are cabins far enough above the promenade that you won't get noise or smoke from there.  I think I've only ever seen it mentioned on Seaside cabin reviews on decks 9 and 10.

You know, I realized how silly I was being - of course if are on deck 13 its unlikely we'll smell cigarette smoke from the boardwalk. LOL

Thank you!!!!

8 hours ago, Fostelo said:

Smoking area is on port side on Seaview midship. And i agree Smokers out on balcony all the time on my seaview cruise 😮

Yeah, there's always the balcony smokers. So...is port side even numbers or odd? Which side do you get to see the ports on?