Fog prevents Majestic Princess from docking in Dunedin

On 3/31/2019 at 7:27 PM, MicCanberra said:

Cool, hope you get some smooth seas.

So far so good. We had moderate seas yesterday (2-3 metres) but hardly noticed them. We were cruising about 16 nautical miles off the coast.

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So far so good. We had moderate seas yesterday (2-3 metres) but hardly noticed them. We were cruising about 16 nautical miles off the coast.

Good stuff, enjoy your cruise and have a drink for me.

I am happy to report that the Bluff Oysters at the Wellington restaurant we went to were as delicious as the others we had. 

My next challenge is to find somewhere in Akaroa that has them. 😄

47 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I am happy to report that the Bluff Oysters at the Wellington restaurant we went to were as delicious as the others we had. 

My next challenge is to find somewhere in Akaroa that has them. 😄

Enjoy while you can. Heard a whisper that the boats are coming in later each day which could indicate that its taking them longer to fill their quota.

53 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Try these places.

Bully Hayes Restaurant & Bar - 57 Beach Rd

The Trading Rooms Restaurant & Pantry - 71 Beach Rd

We tried the Trading Rooms two years ago. Worst fish and chips I've ever had. Yuck!!!

I'll check out Bully Hayes, plus Murphy's on the Corner, Church St and Rue Jolie, sounds interesting.

47 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Enjoy while you can. Heard a whisper that the boats are coming in later each day which could indicate that its taking them longer to fill their quota.

I've only got two more port days so fingers crossed !!!!!

I worked out it had been 12 years since I last had Bluff Oysters which is why I'm making the most of them this trip. 

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Hopefully they will be in time for the cruise passengers' lunch time rush.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:30 AM, DrOfBytes said:

We're on board the Majestic Princess.  We were prevented from docking in Port Chalmers (Dunedin) today due to thick fog.  I wonder how often that happens?  The captain said we only had a small window to pull in to port since it has to coincide with the tides and we missed our window.  Of course, there are a lot of disappointed passengers (and crew!).  We had booked the Taieri Gorge train trip.  I guess we'll have to plan another trip to New Zealand some day!  Weather looks decent for the Fiordland National Part tomorrow at least.  Really looking forward to that.

We're just sitting outside of port now going no where.  The crew had to scramble to come up with activities to do today on board the ship.  An unplanned sea day!  We'll make the most of it.

I was on the Majestic Princess beginning of March, we too missed Dunedin due to fog closing the port. It cleared very quickly but apparently we still couldn't go in due to missing our tidal window. Very annoying. Princess had already shortened the arrival and departure times of 2 or 3 of the ports (Dunedin was one of them) some weeks before departure which I didn't understand as they would have known the tide times well in advance!

Oops I've just realised the op was talking about the same cruise. 

Edited by phoenixx
Added more info

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I found Bluff Oysters at Billy Hayes in Akaroa. Just waiting for them to be served. We're having an early lunch so we don't miss out as they have a limited supply.

Good job, I am glad you found some.

The restaurant we went to in Dunedin didn't have Bluff Oysters ☹ so my brother insisted on stopping at a fish market and buying me some. They are often shipped pre-shucked in sealed containers so I was allowed to bring them onboard as long as I eat them in our cabin. So we will be having a pre-dinner oyster snack! 😃

19 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The restaurant we went to in Dunedin didn't have Bluff Oysters ☹ so my brother insisted on stopping at a fish market and buying me some. They are often shipped pre-shucked in sealed containers so I was allowed to bring them onboard as long as I eat them in our cabin. So we will be having a pre-dinner oyster snack! 😃

Nice one. Your brother is a good man.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:30 AM, MicCanberra said:

Nice one. Your brother is a good man.

He is indeed, although I think he thought it was quite amusing. Anyway, with a glass of champers and some lovely dark bread from the buffet we had a delicious snack.

20190404_180820.jpg

• 3 months later...