Meraviglia from Rome next month- some questions

anneincostamesa

Hi all- love this forum and all the great info from the members!  

Heading out of Rome (Palermo, Genoa, Barcelona, Marseilles, Valletta)  on April 7 with a group of 14 of us, from age 8 to 76, celebrating my parents' big 50th anniversary. My dh and I are the only ones who have cruised before, on Celebrity for our honeymoon back in 2002! We are booked on the Bella experience, on deck 8 with a couple of adjoining cabins. Still working out the details but so excited for this big trip!

Questions:

-Upon embarking, do we check our carry on bags with a porter, or do we just take  them on ourselves?

-My sister is bringing her 3 kids, and I my two. What is a good laundry package to consider?

-Is it easy to grab the train in Marseilles to go to Provence? Or better to stick with the cruise excursion?

-Are premium coffee drinks included in the Non-Alcoholic package? (the only drink I care about is coffee :) )

-Is the Rabat, Mosta and Mdina City tour a good option for the Valletta port? My son and nephews (ages 12 and 14) are intrigued by the Knights and I think this would be a great excursion.

-Is the Thermal Pass worth it? I am eager to sit in the Himalayan salt room and I love a good sauna.

Thank you in advance!  We booked this over a year ago and can't believe it's almost time to cruise!

I can only answer a few of your questions.  I've numbered yours so my numbers will correspond to the relevant questions.

1.  You take your hand-luggage to your cabin;  if it's not ready when you board, there is often an area where you can check it in so that you can get lunch, hand-luggage free.  Just be cognisant of the time you have to collect it.

2.  There are usually 2 laundry packages - 20 items for €30 and 40 items for €50 (IIRC).

5.  Premium coffees are included in the non-alcoholic package:

Unlimited soft drinks and more! Refresh yourself whenever you like with a choice of alcohol-free cocktails, sodas, energy drinks, bottled mineral water, flavoured water, fruit juices, a wide range of premium coffee drinks, hot chocolate delights, organic tea and soft ice cream. The drinks included can be ordered in all onboard bars, as well as the self-service buffet and restaurants, excluding speciality restaurants. 

6.  Sounds like a great excursion!

7.  I'm not a Spa person so can't really advise.  However, with such a port-intensive itinerary, will you have enough time to try it out?

Hope you all have a wonderful time and congratulations to your parents on their milestone anniversary.😊

Edited by Beamafar

Bea, thank you SO much for this valuable info!

I had seen some questions earlier about what is included in drinks packages, but yes there it is in black and white 🙂 

There seem to be some wonderful excursion options- hard to pick one!  Valletta looks absolutely fascinating and I thought an excursion would help us get the most bang for our buck.  The other places we will wing it. Luckily the crowd I'm with is pretty laid back and just looking forward to the whole experience, with a few pre-planned things thrown in. 

Thanks for the congratulations...very blessed to be able to celebrate the milestone together in such a grand way, with extended family!

You certainly are very blessed!  As are your parents that they'll have the family around them to celebrate.

Valletta is indeed fascinating and beautiful, even to just stroll around.  But you're right to consider doing an excursion to get the most out of the visit.

There was a very early Meraviglia thread with info about the Spa.  I'll do a search and see if I can locate it.  If I do, I'll post a link on here.  I mentioned it very briefly in the first review of the ship that I posted on here.  I'm sure I have photos a couple of photos; if you like, I'll post them.  The following is what I said at the time:

The Spa itself comprises of changing rooms for men and women with lockers and showers - 22 massage rooms, 20 therapy rooms, 2 saunas - one hotter than the other, 2 sensory steam rooms - 1 dark, 1 bright, 2 Mediterranean baths (dry air with showers inside) again sensory 1 light 1 dark, a jacuzzi for legs and feet only and a jacuzzi comprising 6 'beds' - 3 either end, 3 heated loungers, 2 relaxation rooms and a Paradise shower. This is a rectangular glass cubicle with 4 shower heads in a row. There is an entrance at one end and you exit at the other. When you enter, the first shower emits cold water. You then advance to the next which is hot. The third is cold but not as cold as the first and the last is hot but not as hot as the second. I was told by someone who used it that by the time you reach the last shower you will want to experience a hotter shower than you get! I haven't used it so can't comment. What I can say is that the Spa area is amazing - to me anyway. As I'm not a Spa person I don't have a baseline to compare it with.

There are 4 types of approach used - 'Relax', 'Purify', 'Excite' and 'Tonic'. Each one has a colour code and you get a coloured stick for the experience you choose which has symbols on. These correspond with signs outside the various rooms and the time you should spend there as well as some other symbols with meanings which I didn't go into with the girl who gave me the tour. There was just too much to take in - I haven't used the Spa yet so haven't any new information apart from what I've posted here.

Great description- thank you!  It sounds like quite the comprehensive offering of a spa experience, truly.  

Thanks for the nudge to consider how much it will get used, as our trip is port-intensive and we are sure to go ashore at all the destinations. We will have to think over the schedule. But, boy, it sounds like a great option!

We did this cruise last month out of Genoa. You will love it. Check the MSC site for your cruise the Rabat, Mosta and Mdina City tour was part of a three port package price that was discounted. Try and see if you can watch the ship sailing into port that morning . Its indescribable, I couldn't move. The layers of history and culture are right in front of you. Also when the ship is in port look for all the houses next to the dock with painted doors and balconies. Its a great picture from the ship.

One thing to be aware of, before you go to Mdina they took us to a glass factory. You can see glass being blown in the factory but its connected to a large sales room with signs that say you break it you bought it.

Hi. I am Maltese. Valletta, Mdina and Rabat are all very fascinating places to visit, historically speaking (and not only!). Malta is full of history and there are many places of historical importance to visit (especially in Valletta, Mdina & Birgu). And I agree with 'plimouth pilgrims', and many other cruisers, that the sailing in our port is absolutely breathtaking. I never miss it when I cruise :classic_cool: :classic_rolleyes: 

Great, great advice!  I'm a former flight attendant and was blessed to visit a number of beautiful locations in my line of work. Getting to see a new place really revs my engine, and with this itinerary, I've only been to Rome. And that place never gets old or too familiar. 

The Netflix series Fat Salt Acid Heat nicely profiled Genoa in the "Fat" episode...can't wait to explore there, too!