Buying smoked salmon at port

aalonzo2019

Hello All question,

we we are going on an Alaskan cruise this May and I saw in multiple ports they sell smoked salmon. If I want to buy a couple of jars for home can I buy them and bring them on the ship? We’re cruising round trip out of Seattle and home is Los Angeles. 

It's different for OP than the linked discussion last year - those folks were entering Canada before heading back, whereas this is an RT Seattle (so unless they take the canned salmon off in Victoria Canadian customs is irrelevant).

OP - if there's a small local brand you sample and enjoy, buy away. Just don't OPEN the can unless you want to eat it all on the ship! Factory sealed cans of salmon, prepared in the US, you'll have no problem taking to elsewhere in the US. But yeah, if you can find smoked salmon you enjoy locally in Costco or through Amazon it'll probably be cheaper!

The smoked salmon you get in Alaska will probably not be the farm raised junk common in the big box stores.   At least I hope not.  

I can't imagine this would be a problem, but you can also ask before you buy.   Stores catering to folks from the lower forty eight probably get this question all the time.    

I have never had smoked salmon from a can.

It is always a filet, sliced or not, laid flat and vacuum packed.

Some WONDERFUL smoked salmon in Canada.  MUCH better than the stuff from CostCo or most US sources.

On 3/11/2019 at 2:37 PM, aalonzo2019 said:

Hello All question,

we we are going on an Alaskan cruise this May and I saw in multiple ports they sell smoked salmon. If I want to buy a couple of jars for home can I buy them and bring them on the ship? We’re cruising round trip out of Seattle and home is Los Angeles. 

It is not a problem.