experience booking excursions on board?

Pwrmaster7

The excursions for both islands I want are sold out as I didn't book my cruise until 60 days out (my first cruise). I called NCL and they said they are good about getting people where they want to go on excursions once on board. Has anyone had any experience with this? I am on the Epic April 13th thru 20th if that matters and am interested in Jost Van Dyke while at Tortola and Trunk Bay while at St John. Thank you all very much :)

Generally speaking, NCL withholds a certain amount of inventory for excursions so that they can be booked onboard.  Cruise passengers that do not book direct with NCL may not have access to book online, so they always keep some in reserve.

Other CC'ers may be able to tell you where to go to book on your embarkation day.

2 hours ago, noobcruiser said:

Generally speaking, NCL withholds a certain amount of inventory for excursions so that they can be booked onboard.  Cruise passengers that do not book direct with NCL may not have access to book online, so they always keep some in reserve.

Other CC'ers may be able to tell you where to go to book on your embarkation day.

Generally, NCL never holds inventory for onboard booking. There is no business reason to do so. Sold out usually means sold out. There may be onboard cancellations, so there is a potential to get on a tour. Unlike restaurants, they can't over book a shore ex. 

If an excursion sells out, there is a tiny possibility that the tour operator will add another bus, but not normally. 

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Generally, NCL never holds inventory for onboard booking. There is no business reason to do so. Sold out usually means sold out. There may be onboard cancellations, so there is a potential to get on a tour. Unlike restaurants, they can't over book a shore ex. 

If an excursion sells out, there is a tiny possibility that the tour operator will add another bus, but not normally. 

This is really putting a damper on my vacation. I know next time if I am booking a cruise to call ahead to ensure the excursions I want are still available. I figured such a large cruise line would have enough room to accommodate their passengers.... Live and learn

You have a couple of options through NCL

1. Keep checking online to see if something opens
  2. Do the same with the ShoreX desk once onboard

I would also select another option. We had a similar experience last cruise and our Option B turned out to be awesome and better than Plan A or C would have been in that it rained and part of our excursion was inside and they kept us inside during the rain.

Tortola we really liked our Beach Break. On the way we had a tour of the island (can still see a lot of damage post hurricane) and 3 hours at Cane Garden Bay Beach - chairs and umbrellas at an extra cost, we spent $20 for three loungers and an umbrella, I had my own snorkel mask and snorkeled from one end of the beach to the other. There are also restaurants and bars on the beach, but we didn't buy anything. On our first trip to Tortola we did the Virgin Gorda Baths. It is one of those things I suggest you do at least once, so perhaps that can be a plan B or C.

We stayed in St. Thomas and went to Coral World as Discover St. Thomas was sold out and didn't open while we were onboard. Also we gave my nephew the option and he preferred Coral World anyway. He made a great choice, Coral World was a big hit with the family and we had time to go next door to Coki beach. I saw the most colorful fish and an octopus there.

If you're going to Nassau and want something other than Atlantis, Blue Lagoon was excellent. Easy large boat over, sea life encounters if you want those or just walk by and observe others have them, beach chairs galore, various beaches available, great buffet lunch and dining area, clean restrooms, attentive and available staff. Rich and Famous house tour on the way to the island, party time on the way back. We thought it was a great value.

Got on the Jewel in Singapore on 3/4, went to the shore excursions desk that night and booked 5 of the 6 tours I wanted.  The first stop, on day 3, only had 3 tours and every one was sold out.  It was explained to me that other tours in Thailand had been cancelled because they involved elephants.  Evidently NCL is taking the side of the elephants.  My wife was disappointed that we did not get to see monkeys trained to pick coconuts. 

Taking this from an entirely different perspective, you don’t need to book excursions through NCL. Start looking on the internet for private excursions for what you want to do. They are typically half the price and more intimate than those booked through the ship.

Another option is to get off and look for tour operators near the pier, if you are willing to take that chance. Plenty of choices there as well.

We have done both and always had a great time.

22 minutes ago, Jembeccatoo said:

Taking this from an entirely different perspective, you don’t need to book excursions through NCL. Start looking on the internet for private excursions for what you want to do. They are typically half the price and more intimate than those booked through the ship.

Another option is to get off and look for tour operators near the pier, if you are willing to take that chance. Plenty of choices there as well.

We have done both and always had a great time.

I agree, the reason cruise lines have limited numbers on excursions is because many/most book independently. Check out the CC ports of call, and TripAdvisor.

NCL did add additional busses for the Paris excursions on my TA last year. That being said, there are limited seats on a catamaran to Jost so it is unlikely. People do cancel so make sure you check in at the excursion desk first thing and make sure they know what you want. Another possibility for St. Thomas if it is available is the Kon Tiki. It is a really fun day, with a live band on the boat and a great beach stop.