Mosque attack in New Zealand

Ladybentley

1 hour ago, medtech71 said:

What is with the modern world’s incessant need to have every feeling validated?  Especially by people they don’t even know?  

a) what does this even mean, and b) were you on the Solstice in New Zealand on that sailing in question, and c) are you from New Zealand, or d) are you just chirping in where you don’t belong to have your words in print without being involved in the event aka a very sad “15 minutes”?.  This thread addresses how those of us who were ON THAT SAILING feel.

29 minutes ago, medtech71 said:

a) Figure it out

b) No

c) No

d) You weren’t ‘involved in the event’ either.  No more than I was thousands of miles away.  Not a little bit...not in any way.  Being in the air space or territorial waters of a place where an event is occurring, doesn’t make you part of an event. 

Sad you.  I am still in New Zealand, feeling it all, until April 2.  I do not want to jump to conclusions, but feel you may be from a country of mass shootings and/or violence, and you are completely numbed by it all.  To the original poster, and to all New Zealandera, please know most of us feel it with you.

16 hours ago, Muffinz said:

sometimes when something bad happens, the only thing people can think of is getting as far away as possible from the 'bad thing'

We lived in Christchurch and were there for the Earthquakes in 2011 - the only thing I could think of was getting out of Christchurch - away from the Earthquakes

Many people in Christchurch are probably thinking the same after this horrible massacre.

Maybe the Captain didn't want to 'scare' passengers by saying there had been a massacre in Christchurch?

Maybe if he did mention it, it might have changed the mood of some passengers and they would no longer enjoy the cruise?

but seeing as Solstice was in Tauranga when it happened maybe the captain could have just said something like "Earlier today there was a terror attack in the city of Christchurch... and briefly say what had happened....?

I don't know how I would have handled it if I was the captain

Excellent thoughts.  Whatever the captain does some will approve and some will be outraged.  This one erred on the side of leaving current news to be reported by news agencies.  Maybe prayers and condolences 24 or 48 hours later is best?  Who knows?

I am posting from the Eclipse which is currently still in South America.  Cape. Leo Palaiokrassas actually did an announcement of sympathy at 6:15 PM the day we learned of the attack.  He also indicated that any New Zealander who needed to call home to check on loved ones should go to Guest Relations and GR would place the call.  We were sitting in the Ensemble Lounge listening to music, and folks from all nationalities clapped their support.  The general consensus seems to be that it was a very nice gesture.

• Thanks 1

We’re currently on Solstice, and Captain Zisis just called for two minutes of silence to commemorate the victims of the shootings, since today is the memorial service.  All ship services and activities were paused.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lisiamc said:

We’re currently on Solstice, and Captain Zisis just called for two minutes of silence to commemorate the victims of the shootings, since today is the memorial service.  All ship services and activities were paused.

It was surreal , i went past a park and there were hundreds of people in small groups , some hugging each other , others holding hands . This Tragedy has hit our country in a way that most people wouldn't understand . Its just not how we as Kiwis do things , we are kind , forgiving and in most cases tolerant . The monster who was not a Kiwi who inflicted this pain on our country has only made us stronger , more tolerant and forgiving . Love wins every time .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/22/2019 at 3:49 AM, Northern Aurora said:

I am posting from the Eclipse which is currently still in South America.  Cape. Leo Palaiokrassas actually did an announcement of sympathy at 6:15 PM the day we learned of the attack.  He also indicated that any New Zealander who needed to call home to check on loved ones should go to Guest Relations and GR would place the call.  We were sitting in the Ensemble Lounge listening to music, and folks from all nationalities clapped their support.  The general consensus seems to be that it was a very nice gesture.

Wonderful to know that the Captain of the Eclipse made this gesture, even while sailing in other waters.  Classy.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:59 PM, kowhairob said:

It was surreal , i went past a park and there were hundreds of people in small groups , some hugging each other , others holding hands . This Tragedy has hit our country in a way that most people wouldn't understand . Its just not how we as Kiwis do things , we are kind , forgiving and in most cases tolerant . The monster who was not a Kiwi who inflicted this pain on our country has only made us stronger , more tolerant and forgiving . Love wins every time .

I continue on my NZ travels, and Kiwis are indeed warm, lovely people.  I am enjoying every moment (except for watching a certain group of tourists who do not care about “do not feed the animals” etc, who prefer selfies to saving endangered species).  Continue being you, do not let this unnamed Aussie Nationalist mar your personal National humanity, beauty and warmth.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:39 PM, lisiamc said:

Thank you for this update, that makes me feel better about The Solstice (though The Eclipse did it right”