Removing guest from reservation?

gemduncan

I booked a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Legend for March 2020. I booked an Ocean Suite for 3 people. My husband has decided he does not want to cruise. So this means it will just be me and my 10 year old daughter. Girls trip!! 

I tried calling Carnival but the wait time is forever! Does anyone know if I will still be able to keep the per person room rate? Or will I have to pay more? I got an awesome rate because I booked 18 months in advance. I did the $50 per person deposit and I purchased the insurance. I’ve already paid $1,000 down on the cruise. 

If if it’s going to cost more, then I might just pay the $50 name change and invite my mom to come with us.

I had a similar issue awhile back. The rate for the first 2 people didn’t change. However, they made me switch rooms because mine was for 4 people and we went down to 3. Normally when u make changes to reservations like yours, they would make you pay the full deposit now. However, since you’ve put $1000 down, I don’t think it will matter. 

My refund was all put towards a future cruise credit minus $50. 

• Like 1

I had this happen a few weeks ago.  Had booked a suite that sleeps 3, my PVP told me if one person cancelled than they might move me to a similar suite that only held 2.  But I was told the per person rate would not change - DS and I would be paying the rate for the first 2, and they would simply take off the smaller amount for the 3rd passenger.

Well unfortunately when I called in to cancel the person who backed out, they did indeed move me to a 2 person cabin (thank goodness one was still available) but then told me I had to pay the higher rate for a whole new booking - saying it would cost more.   I told the service agent that the booking was already crazy expensive, and if it went higher I would have to either cancel or move to a cheaper cabin.   She heard that and said she needed to call her supervisor, I was on hold quite a while but I got to keep my booking at the same price per person I originally had.  If I had someone else to take the spot of the friend who cancelled, I am sure there would have been no cost since I had not booked early saver.  

The one thing they did not do was refund the deposit of the 3rd person.  I was told it rolled into the whole cruise fare and I will just owe that much less when I need to make final payment.   I'm going to double check this now as it seems you get 5 different answers at Carnival if you speak to 5 different people.

33 minutes ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

I had this happen a few weeks ago.  Had booked a suite that sleeps 3, my PVP told me if one person cancelled than they might move me to a similar suite that only held 2.  But I was told the per person rate would not change - DS and I would be paying the rate for the first 2, and they would simply take off the smaller amount for the 3rd passenger.

Well unfortunately when I called in to cancel the person who backed out, they did indeed move me to a 2 person cabin (thank goodness one was still available) but then told me I had to pay the higher rate for a whole new booking - saying it would cost more.   I told the service agent that the booking was already crazy expensive, and if it went higher I would have to either cancel or move to a cheaper cabin.   She heard that and said she needed to call her supervisor, I was on hold quite a while but I got to keep my booking at the same price per person I originally had.  If I had someone else to take the spot of the friend who cancelled, I am sure there would have been no cost since I had not booked early saver.  

The one thing they did not do was refund the deposit of the 3rd person.  I was told it rolled into the whole cruise fare and I will just owe that much less when I need to make final payment.   I'm going to double check this now as it seems you get 5 different answers at Carnival if you speak to 5 different people.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you contact your PVP to make the changes? Since they're the one who told you the rate wouldn't change, you probably could've avoided the whole, "I need to talk to my supervisor" thing. That thing about the other person's deposit does sound strange. If you booked a rate that doesn't have a non-refundable deposit, then I'd think you'd get that back. I mean, that is the point of a refundable deposit, after all. I'd definitely call your PVP about that, because you're right...if you talk to multiple customer service reps, you often get multiple answers. Been there.

I am less than happy with my PVP, he started out great and now aside from dropping everything to make a booking he is under the radar.  I ran into it when I tried to pin him down on the booking price & getting a price drop - I got the story about how there's no way to know since there are no more cabins in this class left unbooked that sleep 3.   He doesn't return emails, and at this point I don't really trust what he comes up with verbally without a paper trail.   

I'm leaning towards other cruise lines in general now, but if / when I book another carnival it won't be through him.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

I am less than happy with my PVP, he started out great and now aside from dropping everything to make a booking he is under the radar.  I ran into it when I tried to pin him down on the booking price & getting a price drop - I got the story about how there's no way to know since there are no more cabins in this class left unbooked that sleep 3.   He doesn't return emails, and at this point I don't really trust what he comes up with verbally without a paper trail.   

I'm leaning towards other cruise lines in general now, but if / when I book another carnival it won't be through him.  

I know the feeling. We didn't care for our first PVP that Carnival assigned to us. We were constantly playing phone tag. There were times when we couldn't call him, so we'd email him with simple questions that would've only taken a few minutes of his time to answer, but he took forever to reply. When he finally did reply, it was always to say, "Call me." Then we'd repeat the phone tag game. We said to heck with him. We were recommended our current PVP from someone and he's been fantastic. The first time he helped us was with our cruise last year, and he didn't even book it. The family that was supposed to go with us cancelled and created a huge mess, but he took good care of us even though it wasn't his booking. We just spoke with him this morning to book our next one. Depending on who you get, they can make a world of difference.

1 hour ago, gemduncan said:

I don’t have a PVP. Should I get one? I’m planning to call Carnival today to find out what will happen if I drop my husband from my reservation for the Ocean Suite room.

Suites do not have the occupancy restrictions like the standard cabins do.

So unlike the "booked 2 in a room that sleeps 3 and they moved us" posts above, you can keep the same cabin if you want... or move to a Double Occupancy Ocean Suite if there's an available one in a more desirable location for you.

7 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

Suites do not have the occupancy restrictions like the standard cabins do.

So unlike the "booked 2 in a room that sleeps 3 and they moved us" posts above, you can keep the same cabin if you want... or move to a Double Occupancy Ocean Suite if there's an available one in a more desirable location for you.

Yet I booked a vista suite that slept 3, and absolutely was not able to keep it with one of us canceling.  

1 hour ago, Animal Farm said:

Gemduncan,

If you get a chance you can email me and I'll give you some info on what a GREAT PVP can help you with.

Cindy.Fink@cityofomaha.org

Hi Cindy - I just sent you an email. Thank you!

All - thank you all for the information. I just spoke to PJ at the customer service number. She was very helpful and extremely knowledgeable. She said she's been with Carnival for 8 years.  She said that Carnival cannot downgrade me class levels.  She said that I will keep an Ocean Suite or better if they have to move me.  She said that there is a $125 + $49 deposit fee, but $75 of that would be put towards a credit for a future cruise within 24 months.  She also recommended that I remove the vacation protection for my husband only. The $129 vacation protection would also be applied towards a credit on a future cruise with Carnival.    

My cruise is not until March 2020 and I have until January 2020 to make any changes.  I'm going to wait until January 2020 to make any changes in case my husband changes his mind.  But I feel relieved that Carnival will not downgrade my level of class (Ocean Suite).

• 2 years later...

Sorry for bumping up an old post, but I like to search before making a new post. 

Anyhow anyone know how this process is going now in 2021. We will be cruising in 2022 with our daughter who is 2. She did get an exemption but do to the limit bubble tours and not able to even walk around the port we may not bring her. Still debating if I just no a no show with her or call my PVP on this one. Thanks and sorry for bring up the past post. 

I also don't want to take a spot for someone else who is trying to get exemption, we just don't know if we take her and just enjoy the ship.  

Edited by gnegron22

6 hours ago, gnegron22 said:

Sorry for bumping up an old post, but I like to search before making a new post. 

Anyhow anyone know how this process is going now in 2021. We will be cruising in 2022 with our daughter who is 2. She did get an exemption but do to the limit bubble tours and not able to even walk around the port we may not bring her. Still debating if I just no a no show with her or call my PVP on this one. Thanks and sorry for bring up the past post. 

I also don't want to take a spot for someone else who is trying to get exemption, we just don't know if we take her and just enjoy the ship.  

You would be taking an exemption from another family should you "no show" her.  

On 11/19/2021 at 9:32 PM, Elaine5715 said:

You would be taking an exemption from another family should you "no show" her.  

that is a bigger issue, we don't want to this but we also don't want to cxl her yet just incase something changes in the next month or so. Trust me, as a person who loves cruising and recommends this as a go to vacation for families I don't want to take anyones space.