Boston bus to port

btracing03234

The MBTA has a bus (SL2) on the Silver Line that you can take from South Station to the Flynn Cruisport Boston (renamed from Black Falcon).  Just get off at the Dry Dock Ave stop. 

Lyft, Uber and cabs are also abundantly available..... my preferred method due to ease

We used Uber to get from the Black Falcon (Flynn?) terminal to the Union Oyster House and returned back from Faneuil Hall: it was less then 12 dollars each way.   The bus station I think is even closer to the terminal and would be even cheaper, I am sure.  

There is a bus stop right by the port, but we were only there once last year.  We walked around the area the day before our cruise and then saw it again at disembarkation.  You could probably get more information asking this on the 'East Coast' departures board.

1 hour ago, btracing03234 said:

Is $25 cost of taxi or both?

The adult fare for the P & B Bus is $16 per person.  The $25 must be for the taxi, with tip included.  I know it seems like a lot, given the distance between South Station and Black Falcon, but the lights on Summer Street are very long and the meter keeps ticking.

I'll be going on Gem out of Boston in 9 days, and plan to take the Silver Line.  It is sooo easy, and there is no charge on the return trip to South Station.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, vince_g said:

The adult fare for the P & B Bus is $16 per person.  The $25 must be for the taxi, with tip included.  I know it seems like a lot, given the distance between South Station and Black Falcon, but the lights on Summer Street are very long and the meter keeps ticking.

I'll be going on Gem out of Boston in 9 days, and plan to take the Silver Line.  It is sooo easy, and there is no charge on the return trip to South Station.

I contacted Bus company and asked about taking luggage on Silver Line. Was told keep it to a minimum and small, so figured luggage size would be a problem. What do you take and have you had any issues? We are on Gem on the 29th, as well!

I contacted Bus company and asked about taking luggage on Silver Line. Was told keep it to a minimum and small, so figured luggage size would be a problem. What do you take and have you had any issues? We are on Gem on the 29th, as well!

I commuted to work on SL2 for a few years. It is also the airport bus, and has a space just for luggage. It can get crowded at rush hour, and I wouldn't want to haul a steamer trunk on there, but general luggage is fine. 

SL2 is not a Bus company like Greyhound.... it is part of the public transportation system in Boston (MBTA).  It is normal for people getting off Amtrak / Greyhound etc at South Station and taking SL2 to the Seaport area hotels and convention center..  I'm sure if you show up with 4 bags per person you may get some dirty looks but normal cruise luggage is fine. 

Last cruise I took SL2 from Black Falcon to South Station and taking luggage on is no issue.  I am not sure if you have looked at the cruise ship schedule, but it shows the Gem with an ETA of 12:00.  We will be getting into Boston a little after 9, so I guess we'll have breakfast somewhere to kill some time.  They can't open the terminal and check anyone in until she is docked, because they need to offload the computers before they can check anyone in.  Are you as excited as we are??

29 minutes ago, vince_g said:

Last cruise I took SL2 from Black Falcon to South Station and taking luggage on is no issue.  I am not sure if you have looked at the cruise ship schedule, but it shows the Gem with an ETA of 12:00.  We will be getting into Boston a little after 9, so I guess we'll have breakfast somewhere to kill some time.  They can't open the terminal and check anyone in until she is docked, because they need to offload the computers before they can check anyone in.  Are you as excited as we are?? 

Thank you for the information.  Guess we can take our time getting to the port!  Last cruise was on Pearl to Panama Canal in 2016, so we are super excited!

Just keep in mind there is very little to do by Black Falcon.  Your best bet is to hang out at south station area grab some breakfast and then cab/uber it the pier 20 minutes prior to your allocated boarding time.  It may cost you an extra 20 bucks but IMO it is worth it.  

On 3/20/2019 at 6:04 PM, vince_g said:

Last cruise I took SL2 from Black Falcon to South Station and taking luggage on is no issue.  I am not sure if you have looked at the cruise ship schedule, but it shows the Gem with an ETA of 12:00.

Where can I find the cruise ship schedule ETA?

On 3/20/2019 at 6:37 PM, btracing03234 said:

Thank you for the information.  Guess we can take our time getting to the port!  Last cruise was on Pearl to Panama Canal in 2016, so we are super excited!

After giving it much thought, we changed our plans to arrive in Boston around 12:00.  We are going to have lunch someplace, and then get to the pier around 1:45 - 2:00.  With boarding expected around 1:00, things should be pretty calm by the time we arrive.  Not having to leave as early will be sweet too!

On 3/21/2019 at 8:55 AM, MrElvis said:

Lyft or Uber best and cheapest private way to get to the terminal ,comfort and convenience

I looked at the Uber app. If there are 2 riders, is there a place to indicate the number of riders?

Have you had any issues using the app and/or having the driver arrive?