How much USD to exchange?

MistyRo76

We are in Havana for 23 hours (7AM to 6AM). We will likely still be out exploring Havana at night when the currency exchange place closes for the day. So we need to ensure that we have enough cash exchanged to last us (but not too much). 

Anyone have any thoughts on this? 

Our tour guide told us to pay him in US Dollars so that will be covered no problem. We will be having lunch and dinner in Havana and will be going out to experience the night life that evening, probably doing a self guided pub crawl. The place we are planning to go for dinner is in Vedado area so will need transportation there and back to Old Havana/port area. Will also likely want to do a little shopping (cigars, trinkets, etc.). 

Would love to hear how much everyone else would spend in a full day there. 

Thanks!

We plan on getting $600 CUC for 2 days 

That’ll cover our excursion each day, tips, drinks at diff bars, lunch both days and some cigars and rum.....not a big cigar smoker so just picking up a small sample pack of 5 and at least 1 or 2 bottles of rum 

10 minutes ago, Sailor Taylor said:

A related question - Do you exchange the currency at a local bank before you leave?  

No, CUCs are not allowed out of the country. There is a huge currency exchange right where you get off the ship & through customs - you can't miss it.

1 minute ago, victory2020 said:

No, CUCs are not allowed out of the country. There is a huge currency exchange right where you get off the ship & through customs - you can't miss it.

Thanks!

So I can only exchange for CUC right before I get off the ship?  Would there be a huge line on the first morning we arrive in Cuba because I can only imagine everyone will be there trying to get some CUC. 

1 hour ago, Baletrina said:

Is the exchange rate 1:1? 

Yes and no.  In terms of exchange rate, CUCs are on par with the US dollar, but there is a 10% surcharge for USD as well as a 3 exchange fee for any currency, so you will get 87 CUCs for $100.  You can avoid the 10% surcharge if you have some other currency such as  Euros or Canadian dollars, but the 3% exchange fee applies to all currency.  It is possible to save money by getting Euros or Canadian dollars in advance but unless you are talking several hundred dollars it probably isn't worth the hassle.  If you have leftover CUCs, you again pay the 3% but not the 10%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Sailor Taylor said:

Thanks!

So I can only exchange for CUC right before I get off the ship?  Would there be a huge line on the first morning we arrive in Cuba because I can only imagine everyone will be there trying to get some CUC. 

You have to get off the ship & through customs before exchanging. There are many windows open & theyget you through really fast. There is usually someone directing you to an open window. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Baletrina said:

Thanks for explaining that. Makes more sense the way you explained it. 

So how much are things like a cocktail? dinner? tee shirt? Trying to get an idea of how much to convert.  

Drinks were 5-7 CUCs in early March. A small bottle of Havana Club 7 year was 8.75 CUCs the white Havana Club was under 5 CUCs , cigars were varied. We didn't see any t-shirts, there are plenty of handmade items in the squares sold by locals.