Ocean Medallion = Glorified cruise card?

fishin' musician

12 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

We were on Regal Princess 3/3/19.  We used a cruise card.  We just ask for it.  The only thing we had to do different was to let our steward know we did not have a medallion.   Because without the medallion we would all ways show up as our room being vacant to him.

Question is why did you do that?

25 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Question is why did you do that?

First reason, we were told at check in that it had a magnet it it.  (That is what we were told).  We did not want that.  Weather the check in person was right or wrong I have no idea.

Second, cruise card fits flat in my small purse and DH's pocket.

Edited by geocruiser

3 hours ago, geocruiser said:

We were on Regal Princess 3/3/19.  We used a cruise card.  We just ask for it.  The only thing we had to do different was to let our steward know we did not have a medallion.   Because without the medallion we would all ways show up as our room being vacant to him.

There is still a slot in the door for the cruise card?

• 2 weeks later...

OP here, back from a week on the "Medallionized" Regal Princess.  Third time on this really nice ship.  So about this little doodad thingy.  It was nice to have the door open when bring two cups of coffee back to the room in the morning!  Nice to be able to locate DW when she's on deck soaking up the sun.  But that was about the extent of the niceties.  Getting on and off at ports of call was slower with the doodad thingy and really seemed to gum up the process when some were boarding and some were going off.  It was like it could not handle both simultaneously, so they stopped those going off.   When getting something from the bar or shops sometimes you had to tap the doodad thingy on a pad, sometimes you didn't.  All in all, not terrible, but needs work.  I guess I'll stick with the glorified cruise card moniker. 

I found the various apps to be pretty bad, they should be at best in beta or pre-release.  Some of them were impossible to log out of.  Some sort of worked.  And the relation between internet access and intranet access was horrid.  Several apps had a remember me check box, but none remembered me.  When you did log out you had to go thru a bunch of hoops to get back on line each time.  There is also an IT team and a Medallion team that really needs to be merged as they seem to share the resources... when support is required the Medallion team may send you downstairs to the IT team or the IT team may send you upstairs to the Medallion team.  There is now permanent Medallion Class promotion throughout the ship (painted above the pool bar), and it is just not here yet IMO. 

The Concierge app was a nice alternative to the Patter, but we had that on the Crown in December, so I don't consider it a Medallion thing (although it may have had a different name, it appeared the same).