Fjords and alleged Norwegian Maritime Authority Changes

les37b

1 hour ago, RachelG said:

I got a video about ear wax (10 minutes worth)

That’s odd.  It;s takes me right to the live broadcast after a quick 10-second ad.  The ads will always be random, but no longer than 10-seconds.  Currently, at 1:18a Eastern, there are still nearly 600 passengers on the ship.

9 hours ago, chrism23 said:

As I understand it, the restriction at Flam will go into effect in 2020 and my June 25th visit will not be affected.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  

Also, and this is an inconvenience so thanks in advance.  The ports the  Wind will be stopping at are Alesund, Bronnoysund, Leknes, Tromso, Honningsvag. Hammerfest, Olden and Bergen.  Does anyone have any insight on what I should or should not do.  

Are port restrictions in Flam based at all on ship size ?  The Wind, for example, has a capacity of 295 passengers.  Do they get hit with the 4000 passenger mega ships.  The difference is night and day. Anyhow.

cheers

I think it’s safe to say the restrictions being imposed are not down to size and seemingly are purely on emissions. In 2020 Silversea are still showing cruises for the Spirit and Whisper but the Wind is now removed in 2020 but still sailing in 2019.

To be 100% sure, I would recommend you contact SS for your own concerns regarding your voyage, but I believe it will remain unaffected by these newly introduced changes. I was informed on Friday, so if you haven’t (and reading the link posted) this summers cruises are not affected but will be from 2020.

Take this thread as a heads up and a question as I believe actions have been taken and it may be mine is the only cruise published that is affected and I would have expected anyone else receiving a similar email I received, may have posted.  This thread was raised to ask exactly that so it may be my voyage is the only one. In short only Silver Sea can answer, but it does seem that the filters in place on the 296 pax Wind don’t meet the criteria and so not allowed. I say that purely based on what has come to light and stress to be sure,contact SS. But if CC means anything, I think you won’t be affected and have a fantastic criuise to look forward to.

i would expect that the refit scheduled for August 2020 may remedy this if it is possible. Again just a guess, but with the Cloud not showing up for sailings either, maybe it’s not possible. Time will tell.

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

That’s odd.  It;s takes me right to the live broadcast after a quick 10-second ad.  The ads will always be random, but no longer than 10-seconds.  Currently, at 1:18a Eastern, there are still nearly 600 passengers on the ship.

It's a crazy mess with that Viking Sky ship.  From the Associated Press/AP in the New York Post this morning, they had this headline: “Tugs tow Norway cruise ship after 463 rescued; 17 injured”  with these highlights: “More than 450 passengers were airlifted off a cruise ship that got stranded off Norway’s western coast in bad weather before the rescue operation was suspended Sunday so the vessel could be towed to a nearby port.  Five helicopters flying in the pitch dark took the evacuated passengers from the tossing ship in a painstaking process that continued throughout the night.”

Not sure doing a March cruise in this part of Norway would be that fun or enjoyable.  Glad we had better weather when we were there up to the top of Europe on the Silver Cloud in July 2010. This AP story also noted: "Photos posted on social media showed the ship listing from side to side, and furniture smashing violently into walls.  The airlifts continued at a steady pace Sunday morning, as the vessel was being prepared for towing by two tugboats to the nearby town of Molde."

Full story at:

https://nypost.com/2019/03/24/tugs-tow-norway-cruise-ship-after-463-rescued-17-injured/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 45,163 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

• Like 1

From the London/UK Times late this afternoon, they had this headline: “Britons winched to safety from stricken cruise ship in Norway” with a picture of the Viking Sky being docked in Molde, Norway.  

Here are some of their story highlights: “British passengers described the ordeal today of being winched up to helicopters from a stricken cruise ship in howling wind and heaving seas on a treacherous stretch of the Norwegian coast.  Derek Browne, from Hampshire, said the rescue had been frightening. 'I’d never been in a helicopter before. There were a lot of high winds, hovering overhead and the winchman came down and we were then collected up and so I shut my eyes as we arrived into the helicopter and there were 15 of us for about a 20-minute ride.'  Some 200 Britons were among 915 passengers and 458 crew aboard the two-year-old luxury ship. About 20 injured passengers were taken to hospital while others suffered minor injuries, mainly caused by loose furniture and fittings which careened across the decks as the vessel rolled violently in waves up to 25 feet high. There were many Americans and Australians among the passengers.”

Here is more on the history with these Viking ships:  "The cruise line, which was arranging for passengers’ homeward flights, has suffered other recent engine failures. The Viking Sea, one of six identical ships, suffered an engine problem in December of 2016 which kept her stuck in Barcelona. In 2016 she temporarily lost power in Malta. In August of 2015, the Viking Star lost power in an engine after leaving Tallinn and the cruise was cancelled."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/britons-winched-to-safety-from-stricken-cruise-ship-in-norway-rjg9mrjs8

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 44,629 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta. 

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the UK Times, here is their visual of ship being docked in Norway.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

1244065499_ScreenShot2019-03-24at7_18_34PM.thumb.png.32c572a457e88d7769387ae45a4e9754.png