Has anyone ever had a Max bid rejected?

BlushPell

Hello All,

I am trying to bid on an upgrade on my upcoming cruise on the Sun and was wondering if anyone has ever bid the max and then not actually gotten an upgrade. I realize there are not many upgraded rooms on the Sun but was just wondering as a general rule for all other bidding has anyone ever had that happen? Just curious.

I currently have a BA balcony that I won't be disappointed if I stay in but thought the price(even the max) was still good for bidding on and yes there are still rooms available for the category that I am bidding on and we are just over two weeks out.

Thanks

Edited by BlushPell

I would do a mock booking and see if the current price of the category you want is less than the max bid. You can always call your TA and pay to upgrade. Even after final payment. Do some research to make sure you you don’t fall into the trap of the bid. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlushPell said:

Hello All,

I am trying to bid on an upgrade on my upcoming cruise on the Sun and was wondering if anyone has ever bid the max and then not actually gotten an upgrade. I realize there are not many upgraded rooms on the Sun but was just wondering as a general rule for all other bidding has anyone ever had that happen? Just curious.

I currently have a BA balcony that I won't be disappointed if I stay in but thought the price(even the max) was still good for bidding on and yes there are still rooms available for the category that I am bidding on and we are just over two weeks out.

Thanks

I've bid twice, I've found the MAX bid has always been more than just booking the cabin direct

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bid pretty close to max bid on the Bliss Alaska and got rejected.  My original booking was in a sail away ms. Haven rooms were almost sold out and remaining suites were insanely priced. the sail away rate for ms was ridiculously inexpensive.  It was still a huge savings over booking outright to bid almost max and was pretty surprised we didn’t get bids accepted. It was husband’s first time not in Haven and he was pretty bummed but once onboard we ended up really enjoying the spa, racetrack, specialty dinners, some excursions we normally wouldn’t have sprung for... and in the end we were better off knowing he’s just fine not in the Haven. We found a couple excellent specialty servers and made sure we had them for meals, had an excellent room steward and hit the spa whenever it wasn’t packed out.  Just by adjusting our schedule to be behind the masses we avoided the crowds and had an excellent vacation. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses. I have checked and my max bid is $400 total to upgrade from a BA to a mini suite.  If I called and got the room at the current rate  it would be it would be between $920-$1150 more total depending on location so I would rather take a chance and bid. Not sure why the bidding price is so much lower than the booking price. I will keep an eye to see if it drops too and then maybe change with calling directly.

I thought the $400 would be great if I could get it and I would save a lot. It's a roll of the dice to get the upgrade but right now way cheaper than booking direct. I'll keep everyone posted if I get it.

You could bid the MAX and still not get the upgrade because someone else has date/time stamp

bested your MAX bid -or- had a better cabin to barter with offering NCL an opportunity to make even

more money on the transaction.

I.E. you were in a Balcony and that other bidder was in a Mini-Suite (on the SUN that is definitely

a more desirable cabin) and won the same MAX bid - now NCL can entertain an upgrade for

Mini-Suite yielding more money in the process.

Sadly when one is rejected or denied an upgrade the reason or other details of the winning bid

are never known - unless by chance you run into that winning bidder while cruising to discuss it.

As noted above compare the MAX bid against the Buy It Now for a few dollars more get that

stateroom without the hassle of bidding for it - also getting all the bennies perks promos that go

with that stateroom. Of course if you win an upgrade you take with you all your present perks so

add that to the comparison while you may not get all the goodies that go with outright purchase.

Nice if you win a bid to a suite your DSC and gratuities if paid in advance are paid at a lower rate.

Many factors to consider in what is the best deal and course to take.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, newty25 said:

I personally don't think a mini suite is worth much more than a balcony room and probably would not pay much for the upgrade.

That's assuming the Sun BA to MS is the same as Getaway BA to MS.

The Sun's Mini Suites are HUGE compared to the rest of the fleet

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

The Sun's Mini Suites are HUGE compared to the rest of the fleet

This is why I am bidding the Max. To upgrade outright is a crazy amount of money especially for such a short cruise but the mini suites especially the AFT mini suites(which currently are available) are what I would like(I know I cannot pick location on a bid) I cannot afford to upgrade outright because for some reason it is $1150  more. I didn't put in an upgrade request for a MS on the Pearl(my last cruise) just because it wasn't really that different than my balcony room but the MS on the Sun seem so much larger!

Edited by BlushPell
  • Like 1

My wife and I have sailed the Sun twice, never had an aft mini but we did have a forward once and a port side the other time. Absolutely love the Sun. It doesn't have all the glam and glitter of the newer larger ships but it has a pool deck large enough for the amount of people on her Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlushPell said:

This is why I am bidding the Max. To upgrade outright is a crazy amount of money especially for such a short cruise but the mini suites especially the AFT mini suites(which currently are available) are what I would like(I know I cannot pick location on a bid) I cannot afford to upgrade outright because for some reason it is $1150  more. I didn't put in an upgrade request for a MS on the Pearl(my last cruise) just because it wasn't really that different than my balcony room but the MS on the Sun seem so much larger!

Do you realize that a mini suite is nothing more than a balcony cabin with a larger bathroom?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Do you realize that a mini suite is nothing more than a balcony cabin with a larger bathroom?

Yes. 🙂

I have to take everyone's comments and consider the bidding. I have never had the mini suite so it always looks so enticing to get something you have never had. I would think the $ would be worth the aft mini suite but not sure about the regular mini suite. Maybe I'll just lower the bid or cancel it and spend it on something else. I appreciate everyone's input!

1 hour ago, C cruise said:

I watched a video of an aft mini suite - yes, the bathroom is so big but so is the room and the balcony...I was surprised how much bigger it was over a regular balcony room.

It's the balcony that interests me with the lounge chairs. I would love to have that instead of a regular chair.