Viking Sky survivors

KyOh

13 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Andy, if memory serves, wasn't this described before (probably in association with the Sky incident) - either by you or....geez...can't recall his username....like yourself a very experienced mariner. Thanks, as always, for your fine explanations.

Unfortunately, the memory is receding with age. It may have been explained during during the original incident.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Unfortunately, the memory is receding with age. It may have been explained during during the original incident.

We recall that you introduced the "Swiss cheese model" to all of us in the weeks after the incident. You and chengkp75 were at that time, and remain, reliable voices of expertise, calm and sanity. Team JD thanks you both!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kittycrews said:

Cruising now on Silver Nova. Bartender was on Sky with us all. We continue to cruise but age and mobility issues keep us closer to home in Scotland. Still see your photo pop up, jd, from 2022 cruise.  Best wishes to all.

Of course living in a beautiful area such as Scotland makes staying "closer to home" a bit easier as one gets older and less mobile.

Every trip I plan has to compete with just staying in our own beautiful area (not to mention medical appointments).  But since we spent time driving around Scotland a few months ago, she has been calling our names to return for more cruising and more land journeys.

One of DH's hobbies is photography, and he was in seventh heaven there.  There  is still so much more to experience, but it's just the getting to Europe and back that is the hardest (even if we fly "business") not so much the being there. Since retirement, we have started combining more experiences in Europe, e.g., doing a port-intense cruise, then an easy-going land tour nearby,  then another intense cruise, then  visit friends and relax, then land, etc.,  to  avoid repeating the dreaded agonies, anxieties and commotions of repeated (not to mention ridiculously expensive ) long-haul flights to/from California. 

I hope you are enjoying the Nova, and wish you well!

21 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

Every trip I plan has to compete with just staying in our own beautiful area (not to mention medical appointments).

I can totally relate to this and have to agree.

an easy-going land tour nearby

This is what we're going to be leaning towards I suspect...especially DIY car trips. I like fly/drive also, but within the US. No interest in doing independent travel overseas.

There  is still so much more to experience,

Yep, but I'm coming to the realization that, for various reasons, there are many places that are still on a "bucket list" that I'll probably never get to. Waited too long. Have to be realistic of changing circumstances but yet more than thankful for whatever travel we've done. I'll never forget being in a shop in downtown Baltimore right after a cruise and got talking to one of the employees. He was simply in awe of our having just completed a cruise. From the conversation, it became pretty apparent that such travel was likely beyond his means, along with countless others. All of us here on CC, sharing experiences of world travel, should not take it for granted but rather feel truly grateful for having the resources, etc. to be able to do it.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

My sister-in-law is currently on RCL's Greenland cruise (roundtrip out of Bayonne). They had 4 northern lights sightings during 4 consecutive evenings. Amazing! Map shows the auroral activity going right through lower Greenland just now. Solar maximum during this current cycle is probably next year. Someone on the live thread just posted this picture. There are lots more, but this one's really good. More than I saw in '19.

IMG_1617.thumb.jpeg.92e35c767eb812baa7754c7bb6974d35-1.jpeg

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are the chances of using the voucher from this cruise only to wind up on another cruise that also has encountered significant issues (nothing like the Sky of course) that will result in yet another as of yet undetermined voucher amount?! Out of 11 ports on our MS sailing, we’ll only have gotten to 3 of them along the way due to extremely low water levels. I had no idea the water level situation this summer was so bad here till someone on the cruise after ours started talking about it. I’m reading that the same situation is present in the Panama Canal and many lines are canceling their trips through there. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

What are the chances of using the voucher from this cruise only to wind up on another cruise that also has encountered significant issues (nothing like the Sky of course) that will result in yet another as of yet undetermined voucher amount?! 

Significant issues are hard to predict 😊. Without going into specifics we've found in similar circumstances that, working together with Viking and our TA, vouchers have been issued or reissued and honored without question. Refunds in any form apart from vouchers are rare. So we reapply our vouchers to new adventures (rather than risk losing them entirely). We've sometimes not had precisely the voyages we'd planned but found ways to enjoy the voyages that we got 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Significant issues are hard to predict 😊.

Really?  Lol.    just kidding of course

We didn’t want any more vouchers but we’ll surely use them. Thinking might redo this cruise only southbound IF things improve with the water levels. 

I’m not expecting any sort of refund but do expect they will be increasing the originally stated 25% due to losing so many ports. They said they will evaluate the entire cruise in a few weeks. This might well be one of the least successful sailings on the MS

Edited by OnTheJourney

12 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

What are the chances of using the voucher from this cruise only to wind up on another cruise that also has encountered significant issues (nothing like the Sky of course) that will result in yet another as of yet undetermined voucher amount?!

Didn't realize that this was a rhetorical question.🤭  We were on an Auckland-Sydney voyage (not with Viking) early this year where more than half the port stops were cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, the sort of thing that's listed in the contract as ineligible for any compensation. Looks like Viking has offered you some voucher compensation for the missed ports? Not as gratifying as getting to all of the ports or a cash refund but more than many lines would offer.

45 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

Didn't realize that this was a rhetorical question.🤭  We were on an Auckland-Sydney voyage (not with Viking) early this year where more than half the port stops were cancelled due to adverse weather conditions, the sort of thing that's listed in the contract as ineligible for any compensation. Looks like Viking has offered you some voucher compensation for the missed ports? Not as gratifying as getting to all of the ports or a cash refund but more than many lines would offer.

I sort of thought you took me too literally. I was not actually posing a question. No problem! Thus far they’ve promised 25% of cruise fare in vouchers but I suspect this might change. 

AUS - NZ has been a dream trip of mine for a long time but very honestly I doubt I’ll ever get there at this point. Good on you for making the long journey. Doubt I could talk DW into going that far anymore. Sorry to hear of your port cancellations. 

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
22 hours ago, JDincalif said:

and all good things in the year to come.

Sure hope so. The ending of this year is one I'm ready to move on from due to significant medical issues for DW that started during the summer and will hopefully resolve or at least start to improve in the coming months. So no travel for us anytime soon and nothing whatsoever planned or booked. We were lucky that we made it through the Mississippi trip without the need for medical intervention.

If the current situation, for whatever reason, wouldn't improve as hoped for, I'm grateful for all the many and varied travel experiences we've had the good fortune to enjoy these past 43 years, not the least of which was our most interesting adventure with all of you!

Stay healthy and well everybody. That's the most important thing, always. Money / travel plans, etc. don't mean a thing if you're not well enough to make use of it.

Edited by OnTheJourney
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, Haworth said:

I hope things improve health wise, I can totally sympathise with you having been diagnosed with advanced prostate cancer a couple of months ago. I had no symptoms it was picked up as part of a routine blood test.

We're stunned and saddened to learn of your unexpected diagnosis  Our thoughts, and those of everyone in this community, we're sure, will remain with you through this new health challenge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1