Best Excursions for Toddlers in Nassau?

klmxt4

We are taking our young kids to Nassau and so far we're just planning on taking the water taxi over to Atlantis, exploring/shopping there, then walking to the free beach next door. I'm just wondering if anyone has found a great excursion for young kids (2-4 range), or another activity they enjoyed? We don't really want to drive anywhere since we won't have car seats for the taxi/bus. We will also have to head back to the ship around lunchtime for nap, anyway, so a half day is ideal (we'll be up early, anyway, haha!).

1 hour ago, Theosprey247 said:

The Aquarium. The first time I took my kids to Nassau we just walked around, but they were older than yours.

I have actually been thinking about that! Did you think it was worth the admission price?

I would do Blue Lagoon, personally.  They have early tenders back shortly after lunch as well.  You board the ferry/tender at the dock by your ship.  Ride over to the island.  So easy, safe transportation and not much walking either.

Since it's a lagoon, it's crystal clear, white sand, shallow, and no waves. It's absolutely perfect for a 2 - 4 year old and you can still go out a bit deeper and swim if you want.  When ours were 2 and 4, we brought them there and it was great.  Been 3 times as it's just so good for toddlers.

Atlantis isn't that great and it's a ton of walking.  The beach is a long walk from the main entrance, can be hit or miss there since it's exposed and a ton of pushy vendors and it's a public beach without great facilities.  Then a long, long walk back to the water taxi.  Wouldn't be my choice at all with a 2 and 4 year old.  I've stayed at Atlantis, by the way, I'm very familiar with it.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BNBR said:

I would do Blue Lagoon, personally.  They have early tenders back shortly after lunch as well.  You board the ferry/tender at the dock by your ship.  Ride over to the island.  So easy, safe transportation and not much walking either.

Since it's a lagoon, it's crystal clear, white sand, shallow, and no waves. It's absolutely perfect for a 2 - 4 year old and you can still go out a bit deeper and swim if you want.  When ours were 2 and 4, we brought them there and it was great.  Been 3 times as it's just so good for toddlers.

Atlantis isn't that great and it's a ton of walking.  The beach is a long walk from the main entrance, can be hit or miss there since it's exposed and a ton of pushy vendors and it's a public beach without great facilities.  Then a long, long walk back to the water taxi.  Wouldn't be my choice at all with a 2 and 4 year old.  I've stayed at Atlantis, by the way, I'm very familiar with it.

I'm not familiar with Blue Lagoon, but it sounds perfect! I will definitely check it out! Thanks! 😀

13 hours ago, BNBR said:

So, I know you can book outside the cruise line, but I'm looking at RC's Excursion site and found a Blue Lagoon Beach Day and Stingray Encounter that seems like a great deal ($49pp). It says you have to be 4 years old to do this... so I'm not sure if that means we could bring our 2 year old and he just wouldn't be able to participate, or if he wouldn't be allowed on the tender at all? I may email them for clarification, but wondering how you booked for a child under 4, since you've been a few times.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, klmxt4 said:

So, I know you can book outside the cruise line, but I'm looking at RC's Excursion site and found a Blue Lagoon Beach Day and Stingray Encounter that seems like a great deal ($49pp). It says you have to be 4 years old to do this... so I'm not sure if that means we could bring our 2 year old and he just wouldn't be able to participate, or if he wouldn't be allowed on the tender at all? I may email them for clarification, but wondering how you booked for a child under 4, since you've been a few times.

You want to book through the cruise line for this one. If you book direct you would need to cab to a different transportation point. So book with the cruise line. 

We always booked the beach day and not sting rays, so I'm not sure how you would do that. I have heard that sting rays are a little "secret" to go cheaper though as you still get the beach day. 

I'd just reach out and ask. 

10 hours ago, klmxt4 said:

He’s old enough to take the tender to the island, but not old enough to do the string rays, I’m guessing someone would have to stay with him on shore.

10 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

He’s old enough to take the tender to the island, but not old enough to do the string rays, I’m guessing someone would have to stay with him on shore.

The sting rays are not off shore.  Family can hang out, watch, take pictures, etc.  You hang out on a platform in a controlled environment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2019 at 10:33 PM, klmxt4 said:

your 2 yo doesn't have to participate in the stingray encounter. As a matter of fact, none of you have to. :) It's just cheaper to do it Stingray + Beach than Beach alone.

When we went to the Amber theater, I gave them our excursion tickets, and they (honestly) didn't even count us or anything. EVERYBODY who was going to the Blue Lagoon was in the Amber theater: beach break, stingrays, dolphins, and seals.  Then we ALL walked out and lined up on the pier. A big crowd. We were all given bracelets according to what we were doing - we just told them we needed the stingray bracelets. Then we boarded 2 ferries. I don't remember anyone checking our sea passes for what excursion we registered for.

Once we got to the island, beach goers went left, dolphin encounters went straight and left, and stingray people went straight and right. But you can just go left to the beach and not worry about the encounters.

So, we did it 2 weeks ago, and LOVED it. You get to pet a stingray on a platform, so nobody needs to know how to swim, and y'all get to wear the vests anyway. You can also snorkel with the stingrays in the same enclosure, but we didn't care to, because the water was cold (it's deeper on that side). So we just went to the lagoon side beach instead. :) Lovely! Got chaises under a tree, swam, relaxed.

Make sure to walk over to the North Beach side. The kids and adults will have a ton of fun looking at the fish in a very shallow water. Make sure that 2 yo wears floaties if he/she doesn't know how to swim. It's about knee deep there. The lagoon side is about thigh deep and you can find places that go a bit deeper.

Here is my review, plus other people's.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1