Knitting needles a problem on flights out of Australia?

On 4/3/2019 at 9:55 PM, juniper berries said:

Thanks that is what I will do.  

You sound like two of my friends, always knitting : ) 

Could you switch to plastic needles for the trip? Certainly not the same feel but, it seems, no need to declare them.  

PS - I'm a hooker (of rugs). I won't be bringing any of that paraphernalia with me, lol.

Edited by Adventures ahead

Thanks for the suggestion. There are plastic sock needles but I think air port security might think they are weapons due to the shape of them. And they are very expensive. I have checked a knitting store  in Sydney and they sell a brand of bamboo needles that you can get here in Canada. So i am hoping I will be ok and I will declare them and hope I have no problems. I am lost without my knitting or crocheting. 

My Dad used to hook rugs on burlap and used wool fabric cut in thin strips. I still have the rugs he made. Is this the type yo do.   

I recall that when tight restrictions were placed on carry-on items (nearly 20 years ago), knitting needles were banned, but I am pretty sure, that that decision was later reversed. As a few people here have said, they carry knitting needles with them and there is no problem.

13 hours ago, juniper berries said:

Thanks for the suggestion. There are plastic sock needles but I think air port security might think they are weapons due to the shape of them. And they are very expensive. I have checked a knitting store  in Sydney and they sell a brand of bamboo needles that you can get here in Canada. So i am hoping I will be ok and I will declare them and hope I have no problems. I am lost without my knitting or crocheting. 

My Dad used to hook rugs on burlap and used wool fabric cut in thin strips. I still have the rugs he made. Is this the type yo do.   

Yes, that's the type of hooking I do. Times have changed : ) My cutter is like a mechanical pasta cutter and modern practice is to hook on linen that looks like burlap. Sounds like you'll be ok with your plan.

I'm bistitchual so I usually take my crochet on the plane and pack my knitting (on circulars) in my case.  Only once have I had anyone query and it has been at our local country airport and the person at security was told that of course knitting and crochet could be taken on planes.  I'm assuming that the security person was either new or had no idea that people did things other than look at their phones at airports or in planes.  It is pretty boring to sit and do nothing when you are used to crafting.