Knitting needles a problem on flights out of Australia?

My wife is a knitter and she always has a few projects to work on even on cruises.  She was told that knitting needles are not allowed on flights out of Australia.  Is that true?  We have a cruise scheduled into Australia this fall, will she have a problem taking her knitting needles home with her?

Put them in her checked luggage, not her carry on . Same thing with nail scissors, metal nail files, and anything that can be used as a weapon or tool.

Edited by Russell21

5 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Put them in her checked luggage, not her carry on .

We thought of that, but we travel very light, carry on only.  If we have to pay check a bag just to take knitting needles, I'll buy her new needles when we get home.

I'm not sure if this is still current but some years ago metal knitting needles weren't allowed but plastic or wooden ones were. It may pay to avoid metal knitting needles just in case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

Put them in her checked luggage, not her carry on

You are incorrect with regard to knitting needles - my wife knits regularly on Qantas international flights. Only time she’s ever had an issue was one officious Flight Attendant who said she couldn’t knit during takeoff - but the Head Flight Attendant overruled her

The OPs wife may want to look at wooden needles and also circular needles that save dropping stitches when travelling 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bee Guy said:

We thought of that, but we travel very light, carry on only.  If we have to pay check a bag just to take knitting needles, I'll buy her new needles when we get home.

I think that’s the answer, take them, if you are told “No” toss them and buy a new set when you get home.

i know many clients have had them confiscated at Court.

16 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Possibly because they do not want anyone on board the plane making a racket.😛

With that, & your other funny, just checking that for your upcoming Comedy Cruise, are you travelling as a passenger, or are you part of the entertainment ?? 🙄

22 minutes ago, mr walker said:

With that, & your other funny, just checking that for your upcoming Comedy Cruise, are you travelling as a passenger, or are you part of the entertainment ?? 🙄

Passenger for sure, I am too lazy for Stand up, prefer to sit and have a drink instead.

24 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Passenger for sure, I am too lazy for Stand up, prefer to sit and have a drink instead.

I'm not sure how it  became 'Stand Up' for someone telling jokes, and whether the need to be standing is 'a suggestion' or mandatory.

I guess you would be more of a Dave Allen type of comedian, sitting in a chair sipping on a drink 

As I always knit on flights I can confirm knitting needles can be taken on board. When asked Qantas said to place the needles in the trays provided for laptops etc so the person checking could see them, avoiding any confusion.

That said I do not use steel needles, very bad for the hands.

Whenever I fly out of Australia (Sydney), which is a couple of times a year, I take my knitting. I usually wait till the plane has taken off and everyone is settled, then I start knitting and hardly stop the whole trip. I'm addicted! I just keep my knitting low key, don't flaunt it. There's never been a problem. Occasionally a flight attendant has shown interest because she knits too. 

Going through security prior to the flight has always had me a little on edge, but my knitting paraphernalia has never been mentioned. I was once chosen for a routine carry-on bag check but the knitting wasn't a concern. 

I take plastic needles to knit with on a flight; don't want to court trouble and if my needles WERE to be taken it wouldn't be a loss. (Other than I'd go crazy without knitting on a long flight.)

Sorry to hijack this thread, just wondered sofmall if you knit for charity. 

wrapwithlove.org could always do with some help if you do. 

So much need in the world, I thought I would mention it. Amazing how many squares I can knit on a long haul flight. When finished our blankets are sent around the world.

Hi I am flying  from Canada to Sydney  and I am wondering about wooden needles that I knit sock with do I declare them when I enter Australia. I have read you need to declare your wood products. Also I tend to put my circular needles in my checked luggage as I was not sure you could take them in your carry on.

I too would go nuts without my knitting or crocheting on a long flight. It sure makes a long flight go faster.

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

I'm not sure how it  became 'Stand Up' for someone telling jokes, and whether the need to be standing is 'a suggestion' or mandatory.

I guess you would be more of a Dave Allen type of comedian, sitting in a chair sipping on a drink 

Yep, I can handle that.

7 minutes ago, juniper berries said:

Hi I am flying  from Canada to Sydney  and I am wondering about wooden needles that I knit sock with do I declare them when I enter Australia. I have read you need to declare your wood products. Also I tend to put my circular needles in my checked luggage as I was not sure you could take them in your carry on.

I too would go nuts without my knitting or crocheting on a long flight. It sure makes a long flight go faster.

Better to declare than be possibly fined for not declaring.