Tell me about ncl's "free" airfare

Cafedumonde

Airlines vary depending on your home airport and where you are flying to.  You will be charged for bags. (I dont think they use SWA)  They told us the flights about 150 days out but will confirm 60 days out.  Actually two different airlines.  Seats will depend on availability.

We had Delta with a connection though Atlanta one way and Delta with a connection through Charlotte on the way home.

Same day arrival for cruise departure. Departure same day you disembark.

We paid extra fees for our checked luggage and seat selections.

Had our air confirmed less than 60 days out.

Remember if you use the free air promo NCL automatically adds on transfers to and from the airport. 

Would I do it again. No. To stressful to arrive day off.

By the time I paid seat and luggage fees I could have flown Southwest for just a bit more with better times.

The transfer cost for the two of us was more than if we had just hired a private taxi to and from the airport/pier.

People here say transfers are optional.  NCL automatically adds them and hopes you won’t notice because they bury the cost.  Click on “details” on the booking page or ask NCL or your TA what you are being charged for transfers and if you don’t like the price, decline them and ask for a refund/credit against total.

People have also posted that for $25 (I assume per person) you can fly in one or two days early.  Before deciding call NCL or ask TA to confirm that one too.

If you have minor children isn’t there some airline rule that children must be seated with parents?  I can’t imagine any airline sticking a preschooler in 12C and the parent in 30A (or any minor, for that matter) but I always fly American so I get free advance seat assignments.  Do others have experience flying with children and not getting advance seat assignments?

We have opted to pay the $25.00 each in order to fly in the day before.  I didn't want to feel so rushed.  This will be our first time to use the "free" airfare promotion.   My only worry is that they will put us on the worst flight with the worst seats and have very little connection time between layovers.  Its a trade off for the cheap airfare.   My TA said we could back out if we decided we'd rather get our own airline tickets.   I keep going back and forth on what I want to do.  

Thanks to all for the feedback on this.  We have a reservation on hold with the flights and are trying to decide if the flights are worth it.  We normally do one inside and one balcony cabin, but to get the flights for everyone we had to switch to oceanview for the inside room which added on $1200 to our over all cost.  The transfers are $32 per person, so I guess more like $1350 to overall cost.  We are not very worried about sitting with our kids (youngest age 9 and 11), but we would prefer it to keep on eye on them so that they do not annoy other passengers.  Lol.  So we would pay to sit with them.  We would have to pay for bags because it is almost a 2 week cruise (no laundry rooms on ncl, right?).  So it is probably a toss up for cost with southwest as others have pointed out.  Out of Houston.  I am tempted because I like the idea of everything being taken care of.  We could also take the "free" flights for the balcony room and switch the oceanview back to inside, save the $1200 and buy our own flights for the inside cabin.  We would not be on the same flights in that situation, which I guess is not a huge deal but very inconvenient.  

22 minutes ago, fsa1155 said:

We have opted to pay the $25.00 each in order to fly in the day before.  I didn't want to feel so rushed.  This will be our first time to use the "free" airfare promotion.   My only worry is that they will put us on the worst flight with the worst seats and have very little connection time between layovers.  Its a trade off for the cheap airfare.   My TA said we could back out if we decided we'd rather get our own airline tickets.   I keep going back and forth on what I want to do.  

We also worry about less than optimal connecting flights.   Even if you are fairly  close, I suspect they will not put you on a direct flight. 

We just found out our fights at 55 days- day before arrival. We are on American nonstop arriving at 10am. Returning we are nonstop leaving 340pm. 

Seats- you pick yourself either the free ones or pay. There were plenty of free ones available together- advise getting as soon as you get flight information. 

5 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

We just found out our fights at 55 days- day before arrival. We are on American nonstop arriving at 10am. Returning we are nonstop leaving 340pm. 

Seats- you pick yourself either the free ones or pay. There were plenty of free ones available together- advise getting as soon as you get flight information. 

That's ideal.  Thanks for the information.

We have opted for the 'free' flights, paying to fly in two days before our Sunday cruise, and home the same day.  

I am sure our situation is slightly different as we are coming in days before, however the PCC told us that flights are typically early morning or later in the evening, generally not during the middle of day.  We were also encourage to call in and speak to the Air travel department to request morning flights.  

We only had to pay for the transfers on the return flight. 

Now to plan a weekend in Miami before getting on the Encore

On 4/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, erdoran said:

If you have minor children isn’t there some airline rule that children must be seated with parents?  I can’t imagine any airline sticking a preschooler in 12C and the parent in 30A (or any minor, for that matter) but I always fly American so I get free advance seat assignments.  Do others have experience flying with children and not getting advance seat assignments?

If the child is above 5 yrs of age they can sit them anywhere they would like.  The airlines will try to sit together but it cannot be guaranteed. I have a feeling though that anyone would be willing to switch after 10 minutes next to a talkative 6 yr old that isn't theirs lol

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MamaLady76 said:

If the child is above 5 yrs of age they can sit them anywhere they would like.  The airlines will try to sit together but it cannot be guaranteed. I have a feeling though that anyone would be willing to switch after 10 minutes next to a talkative 6 yr old that isn't theirs lol

On 4/7/2019 at 6:54 PM, erdoran said:

There is no law that airlines must seat child next to adult. Families need to be proactive and if free seats aren’t available pay for the seat assignments so they csn be seated with their children. Then keep eye on the flight to make sure no plane changes.

It is not fair to expect someone who paid for an aisle seat at the front of the plane to move to the back middle seat because someone figured the airline would move people because they chose not to pay for seats. As flights get fuller usually the undesirable seats (middle) are left. Threatening a kid on someone because they won’t move is rude.

On disboards there are stories about this subject and kids being separated. Sure some people have luck getting free seats checking in at 24 hours - is that a risk to take with small kids ? Someone stated Frontier Airlines guarantees families sit together- not true. 

If it’s imperative your child sit with you pay for a seat together- nobody has to move because of somebody else’s wanting to save money. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh but there is no rule- just explaining things . Pay to sit with your family! My babies are 22 and 23 I always pay for seats if no free ones are available. We get aisles across and behind each other and wouldn’t give them up if we paid because of someone’s poor planing.

Go to the transportation forum on disboards (Disney themed message board). Several threads on this exact thing. 

12 minutes ago, andymattmom said:

There is no law that airlines must seat child next to adult. Families need to be proactive and if free seats aren’t available pay for the seat assignments so they csn be seated with their children. Then keep eye on the flight to make sure no plane changes.

It is not fair to expect someone who paid for an aisle seat at the front of the plane to move to the back middle seat because someone figured the airline would move people because they chose not to pay for seats. As flights get fuller usually the undesirable seats (middle) are left. Threatening a kid on someone because they won’t move is rude.

On disboards there are stories about this subject and kids being separated. Sure some people have luck getting free seats checking in at 24 hours - is that a risk to take with small kids ? Someone stated Frontier Airlines guarantees families sit together- not true. 

If it’s imperative your child sit with you pay for a seat together- nobody has to move because of somebody else’s wanting to save money. 

Sorry if that sounds harsh but there is no rule- just explaining things . Pay to sit with your family! My babies are 22 and 23 I always pay for seats if no free ones are available. We get aisles across and behind each other and wouldn’t give them up if we paid because of someone’s poor planing.

Go to the transportation forum on disboards (Disney themed message board). Several threads on this exact thing. 

Unfortunately, that isn't always possible.  Some airlines, Delta for one, does not allow you to pay for seat assignments when booking economy tickets.  I'd never heard of that before (having flown several airlines over the course of several years) and was shocked when I called them to pay for our seat assignments.  So sorry for your harshness but it isn't always poor planning.  Sometimes it's just crappy airline policies.  

38 minutes ago, MamaLady76 said:

Unfortunately, that isn't always possible.  Some airlines, Delta for one, does not allow you to pay for seat assignments when booking economy tickets.  I'd never heard of that before (having flown several airlines over the course of several years) and was shocked when I called them to pay for our seat assignments.  So sorry for your harshness but it isn't always poor planning.  Sometimes it's just crappy airline policies.  

Basic Economy on Delta does not allow for seat selection clearly stated on their website (and you agree to terms prior to purchasing)- you get seat at check in. This is obviously cheapest ticket.

Regular economy fare which is more than Basic economy does allow seat selection. It clearly states difference (I just did mock Basic Economy vs Economy booking). So that is in person not reading what they are buying NOT airline. 

As I stated not being mean or harsh just stating the facts clearly stated on airline website. It is a fact people don’t read terms (and no it’s not small print a box clearly explains the difference between BE and economy)— no small print. People choose cheapest fares but sometime not the smartest idea. Good thing about NCL airfare perk is they don’t appear to book Basic Economy so people should be able to find seats together. 

I apologize if I offended anyone just frustrating when people don’t read terms of what they are buying and expect someone who did to move to accommodate them. For a single traveler or families who don’t care where they sit Basic Economy is probably great option, but for families with small children not good as you can’t choose seats like you can with regular Economy . I attached screenshot of what it clearly states when getting Basic Economy- prior to purchase. From Delta website . 

6B968F2E-8E5E-41A1-AD0A-184E53EF2A6F.png

Edited by andymattmom

2 hours ago, andymattmom said:

I agree that it is best for families to sit together which is why I was asking the original question... would the free air allow us to sit together? It is something on which I place a priority.   But I disagree with your assertion that children are an imposition of some kind.  It depends on the child, just like it depends on the adult.  I have been seated next to adults on planes who were downright disgusting for a variety of reasons and would have given my left arm to have been seated next to a tidy little 6 six old watching a tablet with earphones.  I have a lot of experience with children and many 6 year olds are golden and much less offensive than your average 50 year old.

16 minutes ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree that it is best for families to sit together which is why I was asking the original question... would the free air allow us to sit together? It is something on which I place a priority.   But I disagree with your assertion that children are an imposition of some kind.  It depends on the child, just like it depends on the adult.  I have been seated next to adults on planes who were downright disgusting for a variety of reasons and would have given my left arm to have been seated next to a tidy little 6 six old watching a tablet with earphones.  I have a lot of experience with children and many 6 year olds are golden and much less offensive than your average 50 year old.

I agree!  Also, I've definitely have switched seats so parents could sit with their kids (flight attendant approved) before. Most people are understanding if you just ask them and explain the situation (Providing that they aren't asking you to give up a different class of seat) 

I end by saying I understand if it is out of the parents control that they weren’t able to get seats with their child - late connection, delay, airline issue is one thing. 

If a person knowingly purchased a supersaver fare to economize knowing with that fare they weren’t able to get seat they are rude and inconsiderate. On the Basic Economy it clearly states you won’t get seats until check in.

I agree with post above there are some kids I’d rather sit by than adults. I again apologize if I was harsh or offended- just stating facts that if you want to be guaranteed you sit with your family you need to pay for fare where you can get seats. 

NCL books economy seats, not basic economy. They also look to keep connections to one or less. 

We took the promotion and will use NCL Air for the first time at the end of summer. I am likely going in a day early, but really didn't want to spend extra for hotel, meals, etc for the extra day. But it will be less hectic and give us a chance to enjoy Barcelona, so probably the smart play.

Wow, I have learned something.  I had no idea airlines were allowed to separate parents and grade school children!  Mine are grown, and 99% of my travel is by myself for business, so I was unaware.

But by the same token, it sounds like a parent traveling with 5 and under can get seated with children “free”?