British isles

happytraverler

Could someone tell me what it's like cruising the British isles?  I'm a little nervous about the ocean being rough.  I've done Mediterranean, Baltic, Caribbean with absolutely no problem except for the  leaving the Baltic going into the North Sea it was 20 minutes of fear.  Thinking of going end of July beginning of August 2020 Oceania Marina

I went there about that time on Marina and everything was fine. The only issue is that we missed Edinburgh due to weather. But I don't remember it being rough. 

Is the OP asking today about the odds in July 2020 of a NorEastern type storm blowing across the North of Scotland and into the North Sea?  What totally anecdotal story will have any effect?

My recommendations are (1) get a cabin in mid ship on a lower deck. (2) take along meds and (3) pick another cruise if you’re highly prone to seasickness.

I’ve been on a large car ferry out of Belgium going to Dover, in the English Channel , in August and many of the passengers were hanging over the rails! Nasty! Return trip was as calm as a pond!

absolutely no promises at to what to expect!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, happytraverler said:

Could someone tell me what it's like cruising the British isles?  I'm a little nervous about the ocean being rough.  I've done Mediterranean, Baltic, Caribbean with absolutely no problem except for the  leaving the Baltic going into the North Sea it was 20 minutes of fear.  Thinking of going end of July beginning of August 2020 Oceania Marina

We are booked for the same cruise. Norway first then the British Isles. That's a good time for weather in Britain and I don't anticipate any problems.

We’ve done two British Isles cruises on Cunard, both lovely. Most days will be port days so if the seas are a bit rough, which they weren’t on our cruises, it will be during the night. 

If you are prone to seasickness I agree with pinotlover, low cabin in the middle of the ship.

Edited by Classiccruiser777
  • Like 1

We did this cruise last year on Oceania and were lucky with very calm seas.our cabin was forward and still no trouble.But you can run into rough seas just about anywhere at any time. Get that mid ship cabin on a low deck.It was a great itinerary.

• Like 1

The North Sea is very unpredictable

Are you sailing right around the Island? Will you be sailing over the top of Scotland and the Orkneys and Shetland? 

Will you be visiting Ireland and Wales?

All very unpredictable. As Reacher says : Hope for the best plan for the worst.

Have a great trip

July-August is a good time to do it.  Did it many times when I crewed on the SS United States ('67-'69); and more recently as a passenger on the Riviera in July/August last yr.  The seas were fine every time with one exception and that was a late sept. crossing from southampton to ny.  

Hi Happy Traveler! I am already booked on the trip you mention in your OP.  I get seasick very easily, but with advanced planning and preparation,  usually am fine.  Rough seas definitely don't deter me from traveling, and I am really looking forward to the port heavy itinerary on this sailing.  Hope you decide to join us!!!

Hi, CanEcosse and Ksolluday—I am a fellow cruiser on the Marina in July, 2020. Had a wonderful experience on Marina ten years ago and I am thrilled to return.

We were on the Regatta on a cruise that went around Cape Horn. The weather there is notoriously awful. Our experience was as smooth as the Med!

However, prior to reaching the southern tip of the continent, we hit 25 foot seas that caused us to miss a port and caused much sickness. Not me, though! Guess I am lucky. My DH and in-laws were not as lucky.

bottom line: you just can’t tell. Take a chance!