Newbie Debarkation Question - Indy 15 June Southampton

Hi all,

Hope this question isn't too silly - it's my first cruise so I really don't know exactly how to plan everything for my return....

The itinerary says home to Southampton at end of cruise approx 5am....  I appreciate that can change somewhat and it takes time to get off board. 

To ensure I don't make my return train booking too early.... could I ask what you would assume is a safe time.  Initially I assumed booking my return train for around 10:30 should be okay - now I'm not sure. As I've never done this before, perhaps you can give me the benefit of your experience. 

The reason I'm asking is that some trains have 3 changes etc but a few are direct and that's what we'd like to book.  I'd rather sit around in Southampton than be on and off train changes.  The direct trains can get booked up so I want to try to book it if possible for a safe time, if that's possible.

Also, again, apologies if this also seems rather a silly question, but, on debarkation day I have read there can be lengthy queues for getting off.... what are the options for waiting a little and taking your time getting off?    

Thank you in advance of any help.   I totally understand things can go wrong, times can change etc - but it's just a vague idea so I can try to play safe. 

Faye x

Edited by Faye G

While I disembarked from the QM2 in Southampton my experience will be different as UK immigration was on board so we did that during our transit.  You didn't say if this is your first UK port as that will make a difference in how much time to allow.

What I can say is the wait for a taxi to our hotel was quite long, which you should figure into your planning if you plan on a taxi to the train.  It is possible to walk, dh says 20-25 mins.  Also remember there are others trying to disembark so there will be a line.  Sometimes you can do an early walk off but you have to be able to carry all your luggage off yourself. 

Hi njkruzer,

Thank you for your reply.  The cruise starts and ends in Southampton.  I'm not too worried about getting there as we have no choice but to get our 4.5 hour train on the day, so have geared to arrive by 12. 

Apparently I used the wrong word... it's disembarkation - hope it still made sense though.

It's the return day that is worrying me a little simply because it seems necessary to book a train and the direct trains are non-transferable (so if we miss it we can't get the next one), so I need to try to work out a time and then maybe add an hour or so, just to be sure.  But sounds like 10 or 11 might just be okay... perhaps 11 is better and the worse thing would be that we'd need to pass some time having a coffee. 

Yes, even waiting for a taxi will be something I should consider... it's amazing isn't it how the most obvious things slip right through your mind 😕   

Thank you.

Edited by Faye G

The ship will be docked  tied up and customs cleared very early. If you choose to walk off yourselves with your luggage you can be quayside by 8.15am.

We will do that- we have a 5 hour drive to get home (car is parked nearby) but DW needs to be in Scotland that evening, so the quickest exit we can make, the better. 

• Like 1

Hi, your question is not silly.

Indy normally docks at 5 am.  Passengers start leaving the ship at approximately 6:45am. 

You have a choice of how you depart the ship; You can either self-depart  or allow the ship help you depart.

Self-departing is where you carry all your luggage off yourself and you decide when you leave the ship (normally between 6:45 - 9:15 am). 

Ship departure is where you leave your cases out the night before (all you need to carry is an overnight bag) and leave the ship during the time slot that you are given. You then pick your cases up dockside. If you don't like the time slot you are given you can change it, before your cases are left out the night before. 

We always use ship departure and pick the 8:15 time slot. We normally depart the ship between 8:15 - 8:30 and are normally by our car, which is parked near the ship, by 9 am.    

Hope this helps.    

• Like 1

Hi there Faye, we live in Manchester and get the train regularly after a cruise from Southampton and get one round about 10.30 with no problems.

We now prefer to get a later train and not rush off the ship, we have a coffee at the station, this is for two reasons. 

If there a lot of ships in there will be a lot of people with lots of luggage trying to get on the train and it can be a struggle to store your luggage . Sometimes there can be a delay in getting off the ship if the terminal building gets  chocker as everyone is channeled through customs. 

If you want to be off first you can do self disembark and keep your luggage with you the night before , i.e. you do not put it out in the hallway for collection next day in the terminal. We do this anyway when we get off the ship at last call for our later train so it is not sitting in the terminal.

We have two train journeys coming up this year, one in May for the Indie, returning after a cruise on Explorer and later in the year for Preziosa.

Done this journey many times , 😆, much more relaxing than driving .

• Like 1

It is a 12 min walk from the ship to the station - I have done it many times pulling luggage!!!! 

When you disembark and come out of the terminal, you turn left away from the ship, up to the mini roundabout and turn right through the arch. Cross the road at the lights by the Novotel, straight on, up a slight hill, over another set of lights and you will see the station to your right slightly below you!

Very slick disembarkation procedure. Put your cases out by 11 the night before (remember to leave out clothes  and shoes for the next day.. lol..beginners mistake!). Your cases will have a numbered tag. You disembark by number and the cases are all lined up under the appropriate number in the arrivals hall. 

• Like 1

Faye G, no such thing as a silly question!

I usually catch the 09:30 National express coach and have never had any issues. Southampton is normally a very quick port to leave. I let the cruise line take my luggage off for me - never been more than 20 minutes from ship to kerb.

Taxi lines can get a bit long but as previous poster said it's an easy walk.

Pete

• Like 1

Wow!  Amazing replies - thank you all so much - they are all really useful to me.

My hubby said book the 10:17 rather than wait over an hour later for the next, saying it'll be fine... like he knows, you know 😉

If there is one thing I definitely know - newbie or not, is that cruisers are all really nice people... thank you all again

Regards

Faye 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Faye G said:

Hi all,

Hope this question isn't too silly - it's my first cruise so I really don't know exactly how to plan everything for my return....

The itinerary says home to Southampton at end of cruise approx 5am....  I appreciate that can change somewhat and it takes time to get off board. 

To ensure I don't make my return train booking too early.... could I ask what you would assume is a safe time.  Initially I assumed booking my return train for around 10:30 should be okay - now I'm not sure. As I've never done this before, perhaps you can give me the benefit of your experience. 

The reason I'm asking is that some trains have 3 changes etc but a few are direct and that's what we'd like to book.  I'd rather sit around in Southampton than be on and off train changes.  The direct trains can get booked up so I want to try to book it if possible for a safe time, if that's possible.

Also, again, apologies if this also seems rather a silly question, but, on debarkation day I have read there can be lengthy queues for getting off.... what are the options for waiting a little and taking your time getting off?    

Thank you in advance of any help.   I totally understand things can go wrong, times can change etc - but it's just a vague idea so I can try to play safe. 

Faye x

The train station is 7 minutes away and taxi costs around £7.

There are 2 entrances so make sure you are dropped off at the right side.

If you carry your own cases you can go up to the Windjammer for breakfast and disembark around 9.15 at leasure not having to worry about your cases lying in the terminal outside.

We always use a local taxi company called Radio Taxis and you can ring them and they will send a taxi to the terminal for you.

They will text you with the taxi make and registration number.

A train at 10.17 gives you plenty of time.

We have sailed from/to Southampton many times and got trains back to Durham and flights back to Newcastle.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 1