Haines

Kar1679

Try a flight over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying. I've gone with him several times and it is spectacular. I've rented a car and driven up the highway a ways for the scenery. In town the Hammer museum is a nice little stop.

I took a nice easy hike in Haines (to Battery Point).  Also visited Fort Seward, took the little bus around town, and talked to a couple of friendly locals about what life was like there.  It was a very nice day, though admittedly not as spectacular as a flight over Glacier Bay.  

Pics of my time in Haines:  https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/01/haines-alaska.html    

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DougH said:

Try a flight over Glacier Bay with Paul from Mountain Flying. I've gone with him several times and it is spectacular. I've rented a car and driven up the highway a ways for the scenery. In town the Hammer museum is a nice little stop.

Hmmm looked up the Mountain flying looks awesome!!  Now to maybe re jig some stuff so I can do it.  Did you book before or the day off.  Just wondering on clouds 

I talked to Paul well in advance of the cruise.I usually do a B2B from Vancouver so had two chances with Paul,  both times I've flown from Skagway. With only one person he tries to fit me into his schedule, with two or more 'm sure he can give you a date/time. Both flights we spent a lot of time in the air, last flight we actually landed on a Mountain Pass overlooking Glacier Bay. Spectacular to say the least

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kar1679 said:

Hmmm looked up the Mountain flying looks awesome!!  Now to maybe re jig some stuff so I can do it.  Did you book before or the day off.  Just wondering on clouds 

I would never book the day of for this trip.

We rented a car and went to Chilkat and Chilkoot Lake State Parks, drove some of the Haines Hwy and went to Kroschel Wildlife Center. The rental car was cheaper than the excursion to just the Wildlife Center and we got to see the rest of the area as well. We rented the car from Captain’s Choice. It was an older Subaru, but the price was reasonable and it served our purpose.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JT1962 said:

We rented a car and went to Chilkat and Chilkoot Lake State Parks, drove some of the Haines Hwy and went to Kroschel Wildlife Center. The rental car was cheaper than the excursion to just the Wildlife Center and we got to see the rest of the area as well. We rented the car from Captain’s Choice. It was an older Subaru, but the price was reasonable and it served our purpose.

We've done this twice, except Kroschel.  Haines is a great place to grab a rental and explore.