Arctic Circle

flteacher

I am beginning my search to get to the Arctic Circle.  I know that I have to go to Fairbanks before the land journey begins.  My dream is to get to Gates of the Arctic National Park.

If you have any information to help me get started, any favorites in Fairbanks, etc., please help!  Holland America does not offer any excursions when doing the land journey first, hence my search.

We are not going until next summer, so I have lots of time to plan for what we want.  

Thank you so much!

Getting to the Gates of the Arctic NP is pretty complicated.  The nearest town (accessible only by plane) is Anuktuvuk Pass, which is reachable only by bush flights from Barrow or Fairbanks.  There are no visitor facilities there (hotels, restaurants, etc.) and the only access to the national park is by foot or a chartered flight.  

There are plenty of excursions (fly/drive or drive only) up the Dalton Hwy from Fairbanks, where you'll cross the arctic circle, which is just a sign by the side of the road, by the way.  

Can I recommend an alternative that - in my mind at least - could provide a much more enjoyable, and probably cheaper way to experience the arctic?  (Don't answer, here it comes anyway. 😉 )

You can fly on a scheduled Alaska Airlines jet from Anchorage to Kotzebue, an Inupiat Eskimo village on a branch of the Arctic Ocean, for around $320 round trip, or, if you have some Alaska Airlines frequent flyer miles, for as few as 5000 miles each way (i.e. 10K round trip.)  (This price is comparable, or even cheaper, than many of the fly/drive or drive-only excursions up the Dalton.) 

Kotzebue is above the arctic circle, so, depending on when your visit takes place, you'll be able to see at least "midnight" sun, but possibly 24 hour sun if your visit occurs during the 24-hour period (roughly all of June and into early July.)  

In Kotzebue there's a comfortable Native-owned hotel across the street from the beach - http://www.nullagvikhotel.com/ - which costs roughly the same as comparable lodgings in Anchorage or Fairbanks.  You can stick a toe in the Arctic Ocean, visit the regional cultural center, visit a working fish camp... lots of activities.  

If you have more time (and I'd make time if it was me) I'd also visit Nome, which is served by the same plane as Kotzebue (the flight stops in Nome going to or coming from Kotzebue.)  Nome isn't above the arctic circle (it's on the Bering Sea, not the Arctic Ocean) but it's a fascinating place - very historic and full of colorful characters, including the loonies who dive to the bottom of the ocean to suck up gold.  (Watch Bering Sea Gold on the Discovery Channel.)

The unique thing about Nome is that there's a substantial road system radiating from the town out into the Seward Peninsula bush.  You can rent a vehicle in Nome and drive out into the sticks, where you're likely to see wildlife ranging from muskoxen to caribou and reindeer, moose, foxes, maybe a bear or two, and a bazillion birds.    Look here:  http://www.alaska.org/destination/nome/scenic-drives and http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=viewinglocations.sewardpeninsula

Visiting one or both of these places would give you a glimpse of parts of Alaska that 99% of visitors never experience.  It would be well worth your time.

Edited by Gardyloo
  • Like 1

Whether you drive by yourself or take one of the tours, like those offered by the previously mentioned, "Northern Alaska Tour Company", get yourself a copy of "The Milepost". The 2019 edition just hit the book shelves and it contains almost 20 pages of mile by mile detail on the Dalton Highway (The Haul Road). Although I've lived in Alaska all my life and been on the "Slope" a lot (back when I was gainfully employed that is) I've never driven the haul road. After reading this thread and now reading the "Milepost" my appetite for the trip is juiced, but I'm not taking my truck, I'll book the Arctic Ocean Adventure, with NATC.  

PS-----If you really want to get into the nation's second largest national park, (The Gates of the Arctic), there are quite a number of adventures you might look into. Most everybody I know wants to see the Arrigetch Mountains, but you sure can't drive to do that.  https://www.alaskaalpineadventures.com/alaska-destinations/gates-of-the-arctic

Edited by kennicott

Thank you all so much for all of the ideas to consider and research.

I am overwhelmed by all of the possibilities...seems like we will be adding another trip to experience even more that Alaska has to offer! 

...I will have more questions as I delve into research!...😊 

A few years back we went to Barrow (flew from Fairbanks), with a population of about 4,400. We stayed at the Inn across the road from the airport, and stayed three days. There’s a wonderful museum/cultural center, and we took a midnight tour with Daniel and Mario (got their names from the Inn). Our most memorable experience was walking along the beach in the middle of the night and watching the sun march across the horizon. It was July and the sun never set; got close to the horizon and then moved from west to east until it started to rise again. We were tired the next day, but thrilled with our experience! 

On another topic - we went above the Arctic Circle in Norway last year. We spent a few days above it on our cruise and had an amazing time. So beautiful. We also were there during midnight sun.

If you like Alaska, you will also like Norway. I know - another trip! :)

Edited by Coral