Promised Flight Change Fee Refund -- Now Ignored by NCL. Help?

GarNik831

12-day cruise for January 2020 out of New Orleans was cancelled by NCL.  Flights had already been booked for the initial cruise, and had to be changed.  I re-booked to a 9-day Western Caribbean, also out of New Orleans.  I did this by phone and was given the 15% discount for the new reservation as promised in their cancellation letter.  Now, for the airline ticket change fees – where they promised a refund of up to $300 per person -- they directed me to a different phone number. 

I called this separate number (waited 30+ minutes), and was then advised that I had to contact NCL through the website help section, "After You Cruise".  So not a direct email, but a "pop up" form (standard now), which allows for attachments to include my receipts.  Now, "After You Cruise" doesn't allow you to pull down the cruise date because obviously the cruise hasn't occurred yet (it's in February 2020).  I chose to use the "Before You Cruise" help option, advised them of my situation and attached all of my receipts showing the old and new flights with the change fees paid.  

It's been two weeks and I have submitted the request twice, with no response.  I'm pretty frustrated.  I booked my initial flights in good faith, and re-booked my flights for the new cruise, staying loyal to NCL.  Why is it so hard to even get a response -- never mind my $420 back in change fees!

Has anyone had experience with airline change fee refunds?  Is it because they won't refund them *before* my cruise and I must wait until the cruise has been completed?  Is there a more direct email address that I should be using?  You'd think they would at least tell me either way.

Any assistance or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks all.

I would call back in hopes of getting a PCC that knows how to handle this.   If they redirect you to the website, ask for a supervisor.   

I can't believe NCL would have ever decided to be in the airline business, surely they had to have known in the planning phase before launching free airfare that there would be all sorts of flight issues and cancelled cruises and issues like this.    

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

I would call back in hopes of getting a PCC that knows how to handle this.   If they redirect you to the website, ask for a supervisor.   

I can't believe NCL would have ever decided to be in the airline business, surely they had to have known in the planning phase before launching free airfare that there would be all sorts of flight issues and cancelled cruises and issues like this.    

It sounds like OP booked air on their own.

It took about 4 weeks before our airline reimbursement was processed 2 years ago.  I think there are only a few people assigned to the online "cases" and once they approve it, it goes to another department to cut a check ad mail it to you - which takes another couple of weeks.

Edited by herdingdogmom

3 hours ago, GarNik831 said:

12-day cruise for January 2020 out of New Orleans was cancelled by NCL.  Flights had already been booked for the initial cruise, and had to be changed.  I re-booked to a 9-day Western Caribbean, also out of New Orleans.  I did this by phone and was given the 15% discount for the new reservation as promised in their cancellation letter.  Now, for the airline ticket change fees – where they promised a refund of up to $300 per person -- they directed me to a different phone number. 

I called this separate number (waited 30+ minutes), and was then advised that I had to contact NCL through the website help section, "After You Cruise".  So not a direct email, but a "pop up" form (standard now), which allows for attachments to include my receipts.  Now, "After You Cruise" doesn't allow you to pull down the cruise date because obviously the cruise hasn't occurred yet (it's in February 2020).  I chose to use the "Before You Cruise" help option, advised them of my situation and attached all of my receipts showing the old and new flights with the change fees paid.  

It's been two weeks and I have submitted the request twice, with no response.  I'm pretty frustrated.  I booked my initial flights in good faith, and re-booked my flights for the new cruise, staying loyal to NCL.  Why is it so hard to even get a response -- never mind my $420 back in change fees!

Has anyone had experience with airline change fee refunds?  Is it because they won't refund them *before* my cruise and I must wait until the cruise has been completed?  Is there a more direct email address that I should be using?  You'd think they would at least tell me either way.

Patience is your friend. If it has only been two weeks NCL doesn't work that fast. Wait about six weeks and then pursue the matter further.

I have absolutely no problem waiting weeks, even months, for a refund if I know that it is coming eventually.

My issue is being brushed off on the phone, and having email submissions not ever replied to -- particularly when their automated response states to "please allow 3 business days".

Just let me know the score, instead of keeping me hanging in limbo.

Thanks for your help, everybody.

Edited by GarNik831
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, GarNik831 said:

Took 3 months for a check for our refunds. You’re at the back of a long, long line of changes and cancellations. Be patient. 

We we had two cruises cancelled this year already. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Just thought I would update.....

Received an email from US Guest Relations today.  I was advised to expect a refund via cheque/check for the flight change fees within 4 to 6 weeks.

All's well that ends well.