Foreign currency

bellemere

Does a Viking Ocean ship carry any foreign currency for passengers to exchange for with American dollars?   Just thinking about a one day stop in a country where you just want

to carry a small amount of local currency.

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, bellemere said:

Does a Viking Ocean ship carry any foreign currency for passengers to exchange for with American dollars?   Just thinking about a one day stop in a country where you just want

Thanks.

Not in our experience.  Most ports have an ATM that dispenses local currency or a money exchange.

AAA also offers foreign currency.  Got 4 different currencies for Viking Homeland cruise.  Put small bills from each in separate labeled envelop which I kept in cabin safe.
Viking does not exchange currencies but they will make Euros change from bills if they have coins which mostly they do.

There are also currency exchange companies where you can place orders over the internet and have the money shipped to your home. There is of course a fee built in, but for smaller amounts the convenience is worth it to me. We have used the same company maybe seven times, and they have been very reliable and quick. Just this week we had Swedish, Danish, and Russian currency delivered to our home three days after placing the order. We charge the transaction on our credit card, which provides that extra bit of security in the event there was ever a problem. I'm not sure I would want large sums of money coming through the mail, but enough for tips for guides and drivers and a little extra works great.

My bank allows me to order foreign online and then give me a choice of having it mailed to me or picked up at a banking center.  If it was over a certain amount then, you have to have it delivered to a banking center.

On 4/11/2019 at 4:50 PM, bellemere said:

Thanks.

To answer your original question, no, Viking does not do currency exchange on board its ships (not Ocean and not River).

They can break large euro bills for smaller but they cannot give you euros for another currency.

• 1 month later...