Oosterdam Deck 5 question

kentuckycruiser

I know this is the place to find an answer! We are staying in 5004 for an upcoming Alaska cruise. I was wondering if the forward portion of deck 5 is open for viewing? I cannot tell from the deck plan if there is a door on that floor to the front.

My concern is that viewing on the balcony of the glaciers may be limited, although the room is near the front.

thanks!

Thank you. That opens up another question. When the ship has a Glacier viewing day or morning, does the viewing occur when you actually get to the glacier (and it is in front of the ship) or is there a scenic cruise on the way to the Glacier? Our ship does Hubbard and Stephen's passage. I always remember when in college my siblings and I were in an inside room while our parents had a much nicer room. Of course, the three siblings all slept in and missed the glaciers.

Edited by kentuckycruiser

We were last at Hubbard 17 years ago, (our first HAL cruise!) so my memory is a little hazy, but as I recall it took 2 or 3 hours to sail slowly up Yakutat Bay, and I think they had the forward decks open for the whole time.  But IIRC there wasn't as much to see on the sail-in as in Glacier Bay. When we got there, we sat for the majority of the time facing the glacier straight ahead. If they do that in your case, your view from 5004 won't be too good, and you would be better off going out to the public front deck.

Edited by catl331

I think the sail up Yakutat bay to Hubbard Glacier is one of the prettiest sails in the world. It's right up there with the sail down the Hudson River on a balmy August night at 1:00 AM, sailing the Stockholm Archipelago, and sailing near the Lemaire Channel in Antarctica. Simply gorgeous.
At least on a clear, sunny day, that is.

I would be outdoors, watching everything I could see. If you get lucky, you will see seals 'playing' by sliding off ice floes and climbing back up---so they can slide off again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, catl331 said:

p.s. - you do realize that Hubbard is not in Glacier Bay, right?  🙂

I know that Hubbard Glacier is a glacier in Alaska.  I swear I spent 8 minutes planning this cruise and I need to actually study up. I've done Alaska twice but its been 16 years since my last trip and another 16 before that one!

2 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I think the sail up Yakutat bay to Hubbard Glacier is one of the prettiest sails in the world. It's right up there with the sail down the Hudson River on a balmy August night at 1:00 AM, sailing the Stockholm Archipelago, and sailing near the Lemaire Channel in Antarctica. Simply gorgeous.
At least on a clear, sunny day, that is.

I would be outdoors, watching everything I could see. If you get lucky, you will see seals 'playing' by sliding off ice floes and climbing back up---so they can slide off again.

thank you! We did the Stockholm cruise last summer and it was so lovely.

We were on the Eurodam this past September (Ooster's Sister) pretty sure it's on deck 5 forward  - TIP: there is a bench to the left of the door - go early (early bird gets the bench 🙂 if you are going during colder season - make sure you dress warm (hats /gloves / etc can be cold/windy until sun gets higher in sky) - bring the wool blankets they give you - they will also have those wool blankets up on the decks where the towels usually are so you can grab extra to sit on - stay for the duration of the sail in you will not be disappointed!  It's truly amazing and wonderful!  Have fun!

• Like 1