Our Carnival Magic Spring Break Review

brookeq

We went up on the top deck and watched the sunset.  

2019-04-04_20-00-52_731.jpg 

Amelia wanted to try to get some pictures.  We got this cute one. 

2019-04-06_22-36-07_963.jpeg

Later there was no line for pizza.  But there were no slices already made. They were doing made to order pretty much.  So I got some quattro formaggio slices.  They were good. 

2019-04-04_20-55-26_877.jpg

I also checked out the desserts at the buffet since I didn’t like mine in the dining room.  They were ok.  Not great but better than the amaretto cake.

2019-04-04_20-55-25_011.jpg

Not sure what we did the rest of the night.   I think everyone was tired. 

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 1

I mentioned earlier that the rest our family decided to do an excursion to Goffs Caye.  We went a few years ago and enjoyed it.  We used Island Marketing and we were the only boat there.  The island was beautiful.   I didn’t get to snorkel because I watched the kids.  My husband did and said it was decent.  Here are two pictures from our day there.

IMG_2852.JPG

you can click the link in my signature (Carnival Dream) to read about our day here.  I am not sure if the pictures are still up.

IMG_2846.JPG

Our one brother in law is very into snorkeling so their family booked Goff’s Caye.  And everyone else followed and booked.   They didn’t do much research.  My mother in law hated it.  She complained how small it was and how boring it was.  And there was no chairs or free food.   I asked her if she even read the description of the tour before she purchased it.  I don’t think she liked that because I didn’t get an answer.  

I guess the water was a bit choppy and after snorkeling in Roatan, it just wasn’t as good.  And they said island was crowded.  There were several tours there.  So I think that didn’t help their experience.   The tour got them back a bit late and they were on the tender before us.  So that was a bit stressful for them.  They also didn’t like having to tender in and then get on another boat to the island.  Then take that boat back and tender in.   I did warn them about that.   I also told them it was not going to be comfortable boat.  Sister in law for some reason seemed to think they would be on some luxury boat?? Also all of the kids were  tired from the other beach days.  So it just wasn’t good a day for the rest of our family.   So just some things to consider when booking Goff's Caye.   Two totally different experiences.   

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 1

Cozumel

I was up early again (I just couldn’t sleep well this trip) and headed to the lido deck for breakfast.  This time I got the huevos rancheros.  

2019-04-05_07-35-36_776.jpeg

The pool deck was covered in towel animals.   I didn’t take a good picture.  I wanted to bring the kids back to see it but I forgot.   I let them sleep as long as possible.  We had another long day ahead of us.  

2019-04-05_07-27-27_634.jpeg

I did a lot of research for what to do in Cozumel.  We have been here many times.  We have been to Tulum and Chichen Itza ( not from cozumel but Progresso).   We have been To Chankanaab.   The last few times we went to Paradise Beach and enjoyed ourselves.  

I would like to try the Secret Underground River but I knew that would be way too much for our family.  Four days in a row of excursions is a lot and this one was a long one again.  So that was out.  I thought about doing one of the choppers/motorcycle tours to the other side of the island.  But my husband and kids didn’t want to do that.  

After talking to family we  were considering Playa Mia.  I thought it would be a good fit for all of our families.   It had inflatables, water slides, food etc.   But food got terrible reviews.  So that was my first hesitation.  The second was the cost.  We could just go to Paradise Beach for much cheaper.  

So for awhile the plan was to go to Paradise Beach.   I have been there three times.  We really do like it there.  But I just didn’t want to do it again.  So I kept researching.   I am on a Disney cruise site still and there was a post about Cozumel.  I often go and  recommend Paradise Beach to families.  A guy happened to mention El Cielo as an awesome place to visit.   For awhile it was known as the star fish beach.   It looked amazing. The water looks nicer than all of the beach clubs.   I then read you had to get there by boat.   The tours I found online got very mixed reviews.   Somewhere in my research for El cielo someone mentioned Fishing with Pedro.  He takes you deep sea fishing.  Then he will take you to El Cielo and to a snorkeling spot.  He doesn’t have a website.  He just uses the social networking site we can’t mention.  He has great reviews on trip advisor.  So I contacted him.

His wife handles all of the communication.  She got back to me very quickly and was very helpful.   I showed the kids a youtube video I found and some pictures.  Hayden really wanted to do it.  In fact that was the only thing he showed any interest in when planning the trip.  Amelia not so much.  But she is pretty easy going. 

So we decided we were going to book the trip.  One of my BIL loves fishing and we did invite everyone to come.  But everyone declined.  My SILs don’t really like small boats.  They get sick.   So they were all planning to go to Paradise beach.  Amelia wanted to go with her cousin to paradise beach but I already paid for her spot.  I offered it one last time to someone else but no takers.  So Amelia came with us.  Not too happily.  

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 1

We were given instructions to catch a cab to the Caletta marina.   We got off the boat and headed to the cab stand.  The marina was listed at the top of the board.  It was an $8 ride for us.   It was a quick ride.  Maybe like 5 minutes or so.  Pedro and Sammy were there waiting for us.  

They took us to their boat.  It was a nice boat and very clean.  Pedro wipes it all day. 

We set sail and headed past all of the beach clubs.   It was a nice day.   Amelia liked riding in the front of the boat.   We just sat in the sun and enjoyed the ride.  She was already forgetting about Paradise Beach. 

2019-04-05_09-57-19_789.jpg

Hayden stayed in the back and watched Pedro prep the lines.  

2019-04-05_09-20-49_184.jpg

2019-04-05_11-59-05_962.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

We trolled for fish while we rode around.  

2019-04-05_10-05-49_348.jpg

We stopped in some deep water and tried to catch some big fish.   The currents were strong and we didn’t have much luck today.  Several boats went by during our time and none of them were having much luck catching the big fish we saw on pedros site (like barracuda, mahi mahi, etc).  It was not from a lack of trying.  Pedro worked so hard.    So did Sammy when he wasn’t driving.   The only fish we caught in the deep area were one of the flying fish we kept seeing.

2019-04-05_11-59-24_492.jpg

2019-04-05_11-59-37_571.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

8 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

How neat to see flying fish!  I've only seen one once.  Nice pictures of everyone!  The kids look like they had a great time.

We saw them all day.   They really do look like birds.   🙂

• Like 1

My husband didn’t like when we stopped because the boat would rock too much and he felt sick.  He gets so annoyed that I don't get sick small boats.  I get very car sick.  I had a hard time on our trip to hawaii (big island) one year.  The winding roads and the up and down of hills.  i was so sick.  But we went on a really rough boat ride (we were the only boat out it was so bad) and I was having a ball and laughing.  He was dying.   Poor guy.  

2019-04-05_12-53-54_656.jpg

He was fine when the boat was moving.  The kids liked riding and hitting some of the small waves.  They laughed when they got sprayed by the water.   Hayden would come up front for that.  Look at that smile 🙂

2019-04-05_10-05-24_430.jpg

Edited by brookeq
photo placement
  • Like 3

Pedro had drinks and snacks on board.  I always pack my own for the kids just in case.  

Eventually we moved to some more shallow water and we started to catch some fish.  We caught some yellow tail first.  

2019-04-05_13-04-36_797.jpg

Then we caught a reef fish and we put it back.  

We caught a few others and then a bunch of trigger fish.   On his last line Hayden caught 2 fish together.  So he was happy.  Here is a video

Edited by brookeq
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, hard_eight said:

Loved the plantains at the ferry in Belize, I wish I could order them!

Love the review

I know.  I bought some at a store called Fresh Thyme when we got home.  Not quite the same.

We were able to jump out and play in the beautiful water.  

The water was shallow and you could stand in the soft sand.  

Here is another video of the area  (click the link).  I don't really do videos so the quality is not the best. 

video

2019-04-05_14-23-10_079.jpg

2019-04-05_14-31-20_253.jpg

2019-04-05_14-27-55_942.jpg

At one point this beach was known for its star fish.  From what I read some storms recently came thru and there aren’t really any starfish anymore.  But there are friendly sting rays that stay in the area.   So I put my snorkel gear on and headed out to look for them.  I didn’t have to go far.  They know the fishing boats feed them so they were hanging out by a boat near us.   I swam and saw three immediately. 

P4050266.JPG

One brushed up against me and it was so squishy.   I then just floated on top of the water and let them go under me.   I liked that much better.  One of them was pretty big.  

P4050263.JPG

Our camera screen was completely fogged so I couldn’t tell how my pictures were turning out.   I just took a ton and hoped for the best.  

P4050275.JPG

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

The sting rays started to head towards our boat. 

P4050288.JPG

I told the kids if they just floated the sting rays stayed below on the bottom. 

P4050351.JPG

Amelia, who hated snorkeling this entire trip , and was scared of every animal and fish we encountered so far…well she put her goggles on and swam right up to the sting rays! 

P4050328.JPG

Hayden also went and checked them out.  

P4050331.JPG

Edited by brookeq
photo placement

4 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I've been following this review for a couple of days now. We went on the same Belize excursion 8 years ago and really enjoyed it.  I was wondering if people could still climb the pyramid.  No net!

Yup.  That is why I chose it.   I wanted the kids to be able to climb one.  It stinks you can't climb Chichen Itza anymore but I can see why they would need to keep it intact. 

We played around some more.  

P4050245.JPG

Everyone loved this place.

P4050237.JPG

Seriously take me back!

P4050378.JPG

I tried to get a picture with a stingray.  This was the best I could get.   Stupid fogged screen.

P4050372.JPG

Here is a photo of our with our boat in it.

P4050379.JPG

And here is another terrible short video I took

el cielo swim video

Edited by brookeq
photo placement