Packing for LA cruises

Not a “specific to NCL” question I guess, but topical to NCL as they are currently switching to their LA itineraries for the month.

never been on an LA cruise to Mexico before. How should I pack for nights outside on deck? For Floridian Caribbean cruises in the right winter, it can get downright frigid if you get a bad week. But my cruise is showing 20C at night (68F).

Do most of you pretty much leave everything warm at home for these kind of cruises or do you still like to bring a few things just in case?

i usually hang out topdeck at night and it can get pretty cool windy in the Caribbean. But I don’t even know if the LA area cruises are dry or humid heat. 

We have very little humidity in Southern California, except for a few random weird times of year, and those are not this time of year.  Every night be prepared for cool-ish temps when here (although if you are Canadian, it may not feel cool at all to you).  While on the cruise, from Cabo south it is much more tropical, although Cabo can still be a bit cool (compared to the typical Caribbean weather) this time of year.  Someone posted the weather forecast for this cruise and it looked like 80s all around, and maybe upper 70s in Cabo.

We just came thru on the Panama Canal cruise and the last day before getting into LA was very cool. Light jacket, nobody in the pool, and very cool and windy on deck at night. LA weather itself was about 76 when we got in on Sunday. 

4 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Do you guys usually pack umbrellas? That would be one piece of item I would love to hold off on if I could. 

Then hold off on the brelly - if you are using it to ward off rain.

Check with the weather service for a week long forecast for your cruise - unless significant weather is in view

forget the bummershoot.

If you have to take one - get one of the small collapsible type taking up as much space as a rolled up newspaper.

Thinking about using it for rainy shore excursions ?

Bear in mind how do you hold an umbrella and tote your luggage boarding disembarking . 

Used as a sunscreen it is going to be a nuisance - watch were you are poking that thing.!

If you are in a suite - brellys are complimentary.

Probably do just as good with a wide brim hat and lightweight unlined slicker jacket.

Now don't go and do a Mary Poppins on me !  LOL !

Weather takes a shift south of Isla de Cedros about halfway down the Baja to Cabo.

On a map notice the spur projection out into the Pacific - decidedly warmer south of that point.

Cabo is cooler than Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta

In any event do like you would the Caribbean cruises - layer up for the evening coolness and dress down

for the warmer day time - the ship underway into the wind may make you rethink how many layers to wear.

Winter cruises Mexican Rivera are not all that different from the summer ones - perhaps 10 degrees F higher

at the port calls.

Pacific Ocean may be rougher north of that aforementioned Isla de Cedros - cruising out in more open waters.

10 hours ago, marktwothousand said:

Not a “specific to NCL” question I guess, but topical to NCL as they are currently switching to their LA itineraries for the month.

never been on an LA cruise to Mexico before. How should I pack for nights outside on deck? For Floridian Caribbean cruises in the right winter, it can get downright frigid if you get a bad week. But my cruise is showing 20C at night (68F).

Do most of you pretty much leave everything warm at home for these kind of cruises or do you still like to bring a few things just in case?

i usually hang out topdeck at night and it can get pretty cool windy in the Caribbean. But I don’t even know if the LA area cruises are dry or humid heat. 

This time of the year the weather in L.A. is stating to warm up quite a bit. I would pack just like you would for a Caribbean cruse but maybe a little warmer. AS for dry versus humid, remember you are still on the ocean so there will be humidity. Now inland in Los Angeles is dry, but not along the coast. Don't worry about a umbrella but do make sure you have a light weight jacket and or a sweat shirt. I was born and raised in So. CA, the nights are usually nice and cool even in the summer, but you will only be in that part of the cruise for the first day or so. 

I'd take a lightweight rain shell with a hood -- adequate if there's rain and also OK if there are cold evenings.

There are cold winters where I live, and to leave for a winter trip to a warm climate I just add a down-alternative vest under the rain jacket.