kids 4 and under on Adventure of the Seas

Hi,

We are booked to sail on the Adventure of the Seas next winter. My sister-in-law is thinking of coming with us with her two kids who will be two and four years of age at time of sailing.

I have never been on this class of ship before. Besides the splash park, pools and kids’ camp what is there for the kids to do?  For example is there a climbing structure similar to those on the Oasis Class Boardwalk? Is there an indoor play area in the Adventure Ocean section again like on the Oasis class?

Thanks in advance!

We will be taking our 1 year old on a 12 day cruise on Adventure in two weeks, and so I should have a really good idea for you by the time it’s over.  I did reach out to Royal about what they have since the ship doesn’t seem to have a dedicated Royal Tots & Babies room and they told me that they will have small interactive sessions throughout the day.  I set a reminder to respond back to you after the trip.  Let me know if you want me to look into anything specifically.   

19 minutes ago, Icecoldcranberry said:

ian09 that would be great! thanks!!!

This isn’t the cruise we are going on, but it was an example I dug up of the programs they offer for the Babies & Tots.  

0635EA92-E678-4DE8-AFAF-A7E204638C31.png

Adventure Ocean is 3 and up and must be potty trained.  2 year old would go to the nursery basically and you pay hourly for it. 

With a 2 year old, I wouldn't even sail Royal.  Carnival has full kids club for 2 year old children and will change diapers as well.

To me it would be worth skipping the family cruise and booking Carnival!  Sister in law will need to plan on watching the 2 year old every moment, basically.  I'd rather stay home but I realize people are different. 

• Like 1

I am hoping she doesn’t come lol. She wants to bring her two young kids and I know she is expecting my boys to look after them for her. My kids are finally able to do some of the cools things and I want to enjoy them and their new abilities. I am finished with chasing young kids in a splash yard. But if there are actual things for hers to do then that is a different story.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Icecoldcranberry said:

I am hoping she doesn’t come lol. She wants to bring her two young kids and I know she is expecting my boys to look after them for her. My kids are finally able to do some of the cools things and I want to enjoy them and their new abilities. I am finished with chasing young kids in a splash yard. But if there are actual things for hers to do then that is a different story.

There really isn't much. We have sailed with our kids that age, even on Oasis, which has a lot for them it just wasn't that fun.  Lot of just looking around for things for them to do. We tried Carnival and couldn't pry our 2 year old out of camp! The ships aren't all that great but we had an awesome cruise. 

I don't blame you not wanting her to go. Round the clock 2 year old on a cruise ship is no fun in my experience. 

34 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Adventure Ocean is 3 and up and must be potty trained.  2 year old would go to the nursery basically and you pay hourly for it. 

With a 2 year old, I wouldn't even sail Royal.  Carnival has full kids club for 2 year old children and will change diapers as well.

To me it would be worth skipping the family cruise and booking Carnival!  Sister in law will need to plan on watching the 2 year old every moment, basically.  I'd rather stay home but I realize people are different. 

Unfortunaley the Adventure of the Seas is one of the Royal Ships without a nursery, so perhaps you can use that to convince her to not join you guys. Without a doubt she will need to get a balcony.  Our plan is using that when our daughter is napping/sleeping to have some drinks and get caught up on some shows. If we just had an inside cabin, I’m not sure what we would do.  

Our mindset is that things even though it won’t be as fun with our little one as our cruises without, anytime we don’t have to go to work, cook, clean is a vacation in our books.  Plus we took her to Hawaii for two weeks as an 8 month old and although she won’t remember a thing we have some amazing memories with her that we will never forget.  

We sailed around on the Allure when our younger son was 2years old. He had a blast in Central Park, on the play structure and merry go round on the Boardwalk and in the way play area in Adventure Ocean. He was also fascinated by the diving shows at the Aquatheatre. But none of these features are on the Adventure.

Is there definitely no paid nursery for kids 2 years of age on the Adventure? That definitely might be the deciding factor!

5 minutes ago, Icecoldcranberry said:

We sailed around on the Allure when our younger son was 2years old. He had a blast in Central Park, on the play structure and merry go round on the Boardwalk and in the way play area in Adventure Ocean. He was also fascinated by the diving shows at the Aquatheatre. But none of these features are on the Adventure.

Is there definitely no paid nursery for kids 2 years of age on the Adventure? That definitely might be the deciding factor!

The adventure does not have a nursery.  We just took our 3 now 4 year old daughter on it last Sept along with our 7 year old son.  It was on our blog 

You can read about our whole cruise on a day by day basis here.  It is not monetized and has no advertising.

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/01/canada-and-new-england-cruise-live-blog-day-2/

7 hours ago, rimmit said:

The adventure does not have a nursery.  We just took our 3 now 4 year old daughter on it last Sept along with our 7 year old son.  It was on our blog 

You can read about our whole cruise on a day by day basis here.  It is not monetized and has no advertising.

https://thesmallworldfamily.com/2018/09/01/canada-and-new-england-cruise-live-blog-day-2/

That blog was very helpful for us in deciding if cruising with our little one was in fact a good idea.  You can find plenty of others as well where the parents lived to tell about their experiences which were also very pleasant.  So big thanks to Rimmit for putting all of that together.  

We were going to sail last Summer, but opted not to because our little one was only 2 years old. All of my research gave the impression that the trip would end up not being very fun for me and my wife, or my daughter. So we booked for this summer instead and I think that was the way to go, she will have so much more activities to enjoy now that shes 3 and we can actually put her in Adventure Ocean on occasion.

Edited by nanowerx

Last I did AOS, ran into a Splashaway Bay problem. A kid who’s not the minimum height for the big slide has to use the section for kids in swim diapers, but the ship swim diapers don’t got bigger kids in that age range, this is a miserable disappointment and yes it was enforced. Even though the kid in questioned was potty trained. 

If the 4 year old is too short, better bring big ones that fit, or bulky pants so they can’t tell.

The four year old is very small for her age! Does anyone know what the height restrictions are? If she is too short does that mean she isn’t allowed at all in the regular pools?

Thanks so much everyone! You are all giving me a lot of ammo to discourage them from coming.

Q  Are there restrictions for pools, water slides, and Flowrider®?

A

Pools

No diving, running or horseplay

Use handrails and stairways to enter and exit the pool

No glassware or food allowed in pool area

Children must be supervised by an adult at all times

Complimentary swim vests are available in three sizes for children between the ages of 4 and 12. Swim vests can be picked up and returned near the towel station and are only intended for use onboard.

Licensed lifeguards will be monitoring the pools during specified pool hours.

Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, and whirlpool.

H2O Zone℠

Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the H2O Zone.

Flowrider®

Height Restrictions: Guests must be at least 52" to boogie board and at least 58" to stand up surf

Riptide℠

Height Restrictions: 42" minimum (42” minimum for the purple slide and 45” minimum for the yellow slide on Liberty of the Seas®)

Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum

Splashaway Bay℠

Height Restrictions: 42" minimum (42” minimum for the purple slide and 45” minimum for the yellow slide on Liberty of the Seas®)

The Perfect Storm℠ Waterslides (Typhoon℠, Cyclone℠ and Supercell℠)

Height Restrictions: 48" minimum

Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum (220 lbs. maximum for Typhoon℠ and 250 lbs. maximum for Cyclone℠ on Adventure of the Seas®)

The Blaster℠

Height Restrictions: 45" minimum (guests under 48" must ride with an adult)

Weight Restrictions: 400 lbs. maximum per raft (2 people)

Tidal Wave℠ Boomerang Slide

Height Restrictions: 52" minimum

Weight Restrictions:

100 lbs. individual minimum, 280 lbs. individual maximum

200 lbs. total minimum, 450 lbs. total weight maximum

* Hours vary by day and ship. 

** Activities and experiences vary by ship. 

Edited by SciFiGuy1960

Q  Are there restrictions for pools, water slides, and Flowrider®?

A

Pools

No diving, running or horseplay

Use handrails and stairways to enter and exit the pool

No glassware or food allowed in pool area

Children must be supervised by an adult at all times

Complimentary swim vests are available in three sizes for children between the ages of 4 and 12.

Swim vests can be picked up and returned near the towel station and are only intended for use onboard.

Licensed lifeguards will be monitoring the pools during specified pool hours.

Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the pools, and whirlpool.

H2O Zone℠

Due to public health regulations, children in diapers, swim diapers, pull-ups, or who are not completely toilet trained are not allowed in the H2O Zone.

Flowrider®

Height Restrictions: Guests must be at least 52" to boogie board and at least 58" to stand up surf

Riptide℠

Splashaway Bay℠

The Perfect Storm℠ Waterslides (Typhoon℠, Cyclone℠ and Supercell℠)

Height Restrictions: 48" minimum

Weight Restrictions: 300 lbs. maximum (220 lbs. maximum for Typhoon℠ and 250 lbs. maximum for Cyclone℠ on Adventure of the Seas®)

The Blaster℠

Height Restrictions: 45" minimum (guests under 48" must ride with an adult)

Weight Restrictions: 400 lbs. maximum per raft (2 people)

Tidal Wave℠ Boomerang Slide

Height Restrictions: 52" minimum

Weight Restrictions:

100 lbs. individual minimum, 280 lbs. individual maximum

200 lbs. total minimum, 450 lbs. total weight maximum

* Hours vary by day and ship. 

** Activities and experiences vary by ship. 

13 hours ago, ian09 said:

That blog was very helpful for us in deciding if cruising with our little one was in fact a good idea.  You can find plenty of others as well where the parents lived to tell about their experiences which were also very pleasant.  So big thanks to Rimmit for putting all of that together.  

Thank you for the kind words.   We were hoping to keep it more up to date, but life gets in the way.

Cruising with littles ones isn’t nearly as easy as cruising without them.  However, not having to clean and cook is worth the cost of admission alone imo.  The rest is just gravy.

Okay, now that I'm home, here's a link to a thread that gets into the Splashaway Bay problem with potty-trained kids who don't fit the R.C. swim diapers but aren't tall enough to be allowed to use the purple slide. Our kid was 4 at the time, she's just slightly on the short side of average, and was about an inch shy.

Basically, a kid like that isn't allowed to use the purple slide. So, she has to use the section for little kids, with the little yellow slide (a lot less fun), that's for kids who need swim diapers. Right?

Ah, but she doesn't have swim diapers, because she's potty trained!

But she can't be in there unless she's wearing a swim diaper. Which we had no advance notice of. And the ones the ship had didn't fit her.

Overall we like the Royal Caribbean product, but they really crapped out badly on this point. A number of other people have posted that they were affected, too.

Forewarned is forearmed.