What now?????

navilady2001

Will the US government grandfather cruises for a certain period of time or does cruising to Cuba come to an abrupt halt on May 1st, 2019?? 

Does anyone have information? I called RCL and they know nothing.... I guess it will take a couple of days to sort this all out? Such a sad situation!

I cannot even put into words how pissed off I am about this.  We had the most amazing trip to Cuba on Azamara in November.  I have thought every day of returning there.  Really the most amazing place I have visited.   We have another trip planned on Virgin in April of 2020.  I watched John Bolton say today that allowing Americans to travel to Cuba has not improved the lives of Cubans.  That is 1000% false.  There are so many entrepreneurial Cubans benefiting from the tourists.  So many paladars (privately owned restaurants), Air BnBs, taxi drivers, tour guides (although most call themselves taxi drivers because tour guide is a special license over there), shopkeepers, etc.  I am so disappointed for the hardworking Cuban people.  Trump's first set of restrictions really made things difficult for the Air BnB people and private tour operators because people just went on cruises and booked excursions through the cruise line to make sure they stayed within the rules. I so hope that you all are able to go on your cruises and see Cuba.  If you do, please look on Trip Advisor for a great tour guide.  We stopped in 3 ports and had wonderful guides in all 3.  The cruiseline excursions are on big, government owned tour buses (it is ironic that Trump's restrictions pushed cruise passengers to government owned tour companies 🙄).  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mac1_131 said:

Yes you are right Aimee they told us over and over what's saving them is us coming down and giving them some income and jobs.

I have a June 10 cruise that I am assuming will be re-routed or canceled, so I am not happy about this.  I have also been there before and heard the same things.  But remember, that is what they are told to tell you.  It uncanny how so many tour guides express virtually the same words and phrases at some point in almost every tour.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

I have a June 10 cruise that I am assuming will be re-routed or canceled, so I am not happy about this.  I have also been there before and heard the same things.  But remember, that is what they are told to tell you.  It uncanny how so many tour guides express virtually the same words and phrases at some point in almost every tour.  

No one expressed that to me.  It was just evident. A doctor in Cuba makes the equivalent of $40 USD per month.  I gave our guides nearly that in tips.  None of the tour guides that we had were all that shy about talking about their government and their thoughts about it. The only thing that I recall all of our tour guides said to us was the explanation of the word "paladar" and why privately owned restaurants are called that in Cuba.  

FWIW travel changes have previously grandfathered those with travel already booked. No date on the travel changes yet, but the other change are in effect May 2. If you can still do it, it might be worth purchasing 'cancel for any reason' insurance. My worst case is they change the port instead and it turns into a generic bahamas cruise. I paid a lot more to go to Cuba.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I cannot even put into words how pissed off I am about this.  We had the most amazing trip to Cuba on Azamara in November.  I have thought every day of returning there.  Really the most amazing place I have visited.   We have another trip planned on Virgin in April of 2020.  I watched John Bolton say today that allowing Americans to travel to Cuba has not improved the lives of Cubans.  That is 1000% false.  There are so many entrepreneurial Cubans benefiting from the tourists.  So many paladars (privately owned restaurants), Air BnBs, taxi drivers, tour guides (although most call themselves taxi drivers because tour guide is a special license over there), shopkeepers, etc.  I am so disappointed for the hardworking Cuban people.  Trump's first set of restrictions really made things difficult for the Air BnB people and private tour operators because people just went on cruises and booked excursions through the cruise line to make sure they stayed within the rules. I so hope that you all are able to go on your cruises and see Cuba.  If you do, please look on Trip Advisor for a great tour guide.  We stopped in 3 ports and had wonderful guides in all 3.  The cruiseline excursions are on big, government owned tour buses (it is ironic that Trump's restrictions pushed cruise passengers to government owned tour companies 🙄).  

26 minutes ago, geekybiker said:

My worst case is they change the port instead and it turns into a generic bahamas cruise. I paid a lot more to go to Cuba.

We did too. We booked a B2B first leg going to Cuba second leg going to the Caribbean and there was about a $200 pp difference in fare. I only booked because it was going to Cuba and I wanted to go before they shut us out again and we wanted the longer cruise so we booked the B2B. Otherwise I would have booked a journeys cruise going to San Juan or the Panama Canal. 

We booked this cruise to go to Cuba, but, also due to the inexpensive price it was.  Was honestly no more than any Bahama cruise we have been on and ours is just a 5 nighter.  Always know an itinerary can change for any reason.  I will be disappointed if it changes but understand the administrations reason for doing it.  

Edited by jmecme
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jmecme said:

...Always know an itinerary can change for any reason....  

There is a difference between an itinerary and a destination. I booked a cruise that was listed as a "Cuba" cruise. It will be like booking one for Alaska and going to Canada instead. It's not what you booked. Now if I booked a Caribbean cruise that goes to St Thomas and they change it to St Maarten instead that's an itinerary change. I may have really wanted to go to St Thomas but it wasn't booked as a St Thomas cruise.  If they have to change the destination they should offer you the chance to cancel without penalty. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cloudninecat said:

There is a difference between an itinerary and a destination. I booked a cruise that was listed as a "Cuba" cruise. It will be like booking one for Alaska and going to Canada instead. It's not what you booked. Now if I booked a Caribbean cruise that goes to St Thomas and they change it to St Maarten instead that's an itinerary change. I may have really wanted to go to St Thomas but it wasn't booked as a St Thomas cruise.  If they have to change the destination they should offer you the chance to cancel without penalty. 

Agree 100%! Our Cuba Cruise also goes to Ocho Rios and Caymans.....don’t want to go to either but decided to book anyway to get two ports in Cuba. DH says not interested in changing the ports in Cuba for the Bahamas. Luckily cruise isn’t until Jan 2020 so time to cancel.

• Like 1

Our cruise was in Caribbean, Cuba, and Antilles.  We booked for Cuba as we have spent at least a week's vacation time in Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.  We are looking at CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) travel insurance.  I just made my deposit this week, but the policy I am looking at has to be bought 20 days ahead.  Does anyone have any experience with this policy through IMG?

International Medical Group --- iTravelInsured LX

The iTravelInsured LX plan has excellent coverage, like the iTravelInsured SE plan, but with higher benefit levels and additional coverages. The plan is specifically designed for luxury and adventure trips to exotic locations.

For this reason, the plan includes adventure sports and activities as covered reasons for emergency medical care. This can help to provide emergency medical coverage to you if injured while participating in an adventure activity. It’s excellent coverage for travelers participating in sky diving, extreme skiing or mountaineering; be sure to read the full certificate for the full list of included and excluded sports and activities.

In addition to traditional trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage, the LX plan offers Cancellation for Any Reason and Interruption for Any Reason coverage for all travelers who purchase this plan within the first 20 days of their initial trip payment. This coverage will help to reimburse you up to 75% of the total trip cost if your trip must be cancelled or interrupted for any reason at all.

The LX plan offers a pre-existing condition waiver if your plan is purchased prior to or within 24 hours of final trip payment. Unlike the SE plan, this plan has up to $1,000,000 in coverage for emergency medical evacuations and automatically includes the hospital of choice benefit as well. This may be of interest to you if you are participating in extreme adventure activities with a chance of becoming injured while traveling.

Edited by Cru-Zin
Added policy details

2 hours ago, geekybiker said:

FWIW travel changes have previously grandfathered those with travel already booked. No date on the travel changes yet, but the other change are in effect May 2. If you can still do it, it might be worth purchasing 'cancel for any reason' insurance. My worst case is they change the port instead and it turns into a generic bahamas cruise. I paid a lot more to go to Cuba.

I hope you are right since our cruise is not until August, but how would this work with a cruise ship for cruises still a long ways off?  I am sure some of the 2020 cruises to Cuba are only half sold.  I doubt the administration would allow them to sell the other cabins once restrictions are put into place and I would not think the cruise line would sail a half full boat to Cuba even if the administration said they could.   

We have been booked for nearly a year on a Carnival cruise out of Charleston to Cuba. Literally, Cuba is the only stop - it’s a four-night cruise. Trip is in late November - l’ll be so disappointed if we don’t get to go. 

We are disappointed as we have witnessed first hand the positive changes that tourism in Cuba had on the locals.  We first traveled Cuba by bus a few years before cruises were allowed into Cuba and fell in love with the people and country.  We have since visited Cuba 4 additional times by cruising and witnessed the change brought about.  While tourism did not create all positive  changes what did not change was the hunger we saw first hand over the years by the locals for more freedom, a chance for better lives, a relationship with America, and Democracy.  Sadly the US Government State Department and our Ambassadors will do little to move Cuba forward compared to the positive impact that exposing local Cubans to American Tourist was having.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, mac1_131 said:
17 hours ago, itsmemsgee said:
Where did you see May 1st? My Cuba cruise is TOMORROW  literally. I’m beyond pissed!!

I think you will be fine carry on.

my wayward son...….

Edited by Nymich

41 minutes ago, arasg said:

Well after reading this article it is all up n the air and a better understanding of what will happen. It just might be a change in the rules and there is no date set yet. The May 2nd date is the date Americans can sue businesses & property owners.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2019/04/18/usa-cuba-new-travel-restrictions/

Let's hope this is the case.  This seems like on of the few positive articles I've read since the "announcement."

51 minutes ago, PeaPod1946 said:

Was looking into a cruise to Cuba in January & wondered why I wasn't finding that many, especially on RCI, so thought I'd come here of course - this must be why. 

There's not a lot of cruises to Cuba. I assume this is because they require a passport and a  lot of cruisers cruise with just a birth certificate and DL.  We wound up going on Azamara because the selection of cruises on other lines was not great and most just stopped in Havana.  RCI had a great Cuban itinerary though.