World Stage on Koningsdam

ScottC4746

22 hours ago, JRG said:

If Lincoln Stage Musicians get time on the World Stage,   Let Adagio and B.B. King Players get time.   

Don't forget about the Rolling Stone Rock Room.   Let them all alternate segments in the World Stage.

When the B.B. King All-star band, then known as the B.B. King Blues Club band,  first started on HAL ships back in March 2013, they would play four nights in the B.B. King Blues Club, plus one night in the main showroom. That main showroom gig, "Live from the B.B. King's," started off with the musicians walking on stage one at a time pretending to initiate a jam session a la Beale Street in Memphis, and then developed into a full concert. Around 2015 or so, that "Live from" concert in the main show lounge was taken out and replaced with a fifth night back in the B.B. King's Blues Club. I heard it had something to do with their contract

Edited by Copper10-8

Its always something in the contract.  Like maybe wanting to be paid headliner rates.

"Live from"  the concert in the main show lounge sounds like what I was talking about.   

The bigger issue might be what is up with the "Production Shows" taking a no-show for current cruises,  if that is really happening.

Edited by JRG

23 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

When the B.B. King All-star band, then known as the B.B. King Blues Club band,  first started on HAL ships back in March 2013, they would play four nights in the B.B. King Blues Club, plus one night in the main showroom. That main showroom gig, "Live from the B.B. King's," started off with the musicians walking on stage one at a time pretending to initiate a jam session a la Beale Street in Memphis, and then developed into a full concert. Around 2015 or so, that "Live from" concert in the main show lounge was taken out and replaced with a fifth night back in the B.B. King's Blues Club. I heard it had something to do with their contract

YES!!! That's the part I remember. I know it was all rehearsed, but it felt spontaneous and natural. 

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:09 AM, VMax1700 said:

It is a stage with a 270 degree LED screen behind and around it. Where the shows take place. 

What shows?  According to recent posts all the production shows have been eliminated.

Hank

On 4/20/2019 at 1:30 PM, mcrcruiser said:

Then explain how Holland America who knows their on board capacity can only have seating that is to handle all pax evenly divided  into 2 shows .It is not just my observation but many other pax   .it is like saying we built the ship for 2700 pax but in reality we have room for only 2500 

Another issue is HAL is weak in their efforts of main shows vs their sister cruise lines . They rarely have live music  with their main stage shows  these days & on our recent cruise (March 2019 )on Koningsdam they had a maximum of 6 dancers  for all shows 

I'm sorry but with all due respect, I have to observe that while our experience in February confirmed that it was necessary to arrive some time ahead (perhaps as much as 30 minutes, but I can't confirm personally) in order to snag a seat at the 7:30 show, we invariably (five or six instances) found a comfortable array of available seats for the later one.

We enjoyed almost all the shows on the World Stage but certainly noticed the lack of any of the usual song-and-dance production-number shows. One evening had a comedian who just couldn't find and keep his focus, but in a subsequent show he seemed to have recovered his mojo. There was a stride jazz pianist who was a brilliant and engaging showwoman who also performed twice. The BBC film with the live musicians (including the absolutely top-notch Lincoln Center Stage quintet!) was magnificent. The one show that just blew us away, however, was a dance troupe (about 6 superb young dancers) who performed a multi-media presentation that took full advantage of the three screens where the images frequently spilled over onto the walls of the auditorium (thanks to laser technology); they were even able to simulate an elevator that appeared to take the dancers higher and higher up a skyscraper.

By far this cruise offered the best entertainment experience we've experienced on a HAL ship.