80s Theme nights

Monorail Orange

I've spotted in the list of theme nights on our cruise, there's an Eighties night. Never seen this before - is it new? Glad to see they're expanding the theme nights a bit more.

Anyone been on a cruise with an Eighties Night?

I'm thinking there should be a lot of neon clothing and shoulder pads - although surely bum-bags and parachute pants are not quite acceptable in the MDR... 😉

Worth keeping in mind that, Black Tie nights aside, the proportion of customers that tend to ‘buy in’ to other themed nights is very low indeed. It amuses us how many people even struggle with the concept of black & white night, given the numbers of brightly coloured outfits you tend to see!

Yeah that is true.

I don't go over the top for the theme nights. An Aloha shirt for Tropical night and a mid-century style shirt for 60s night is about as far as I go.

To be honest, I'm glad they've tried to restrict the fancy dress element.Not opposed to anyone having fun, but some of it goes a bit daft.

13 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Yeah that is true.

I don't go over the top for the theme nights. An Aloha shirt for Tropical night and a mid-century style shirt for 60s night is about as far as I go.

To be honest, I'm glad they've tried to restrict the fancy dress element.Not opposed to anyone having fun, but some of it goes a bit daft.

I agree. Given the well publicised clamp down on novelty clothing, I was very surprised on a 12 night cruise on Aurora last month to see a large group of ladies all wearing pink hen night branded t-shirts. I didn’t notice them again, so guess that somebody pointed it out to them. 

On 4/20/2019 at 1:06 PM, Monorail Orange said:

I've spotted in the list of theme nights on our cruise, there's an Eighties night. Never seen this before - is it new? Glad to see they're expanding the theme nights a bit more.

Anyone been on a cruise with an Eighties Night?

I'm thinking there should be a lot of neon clothing and shoulder pads - although surely bum-bags and parachute pants are not quite acceptable in the MDR... 😉

A lot of people make the erroneous decade assumption.  The theme is based on people dressing up and accessorising like octogenarians. I usually take a zimmer frame as rollators are a bit heavy to take on board. I think the concept originated from Fred Olsen cruises.

Regards John

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, john watson said:

A lot of people make the erroneous decade assumption.  The theme is based on people dressing up and accessorising like octogenarians. I usually take a zimmer frame as rollators are a bit heavy to take on board. I think the concept originated from Fred Olsen cruises.

Regards John

Ha ha...

I will get the bag attached and forget where I am going and start every conversation with 'during the war' ...

Only kidding Octogenarians.

Andy

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Ha ha...

I will get the bag attached and forget where I am going and start every conversation with 'during the war' ...

Only kidding Octogenarians.

Andy

They could have had a 40's theme night on Arcadia as they had Vera Lynn songs and gave everyone a little flag to wave, honest!

6 hours ago, davecttr said:

They could have had a 40's theme night on Arcadia as they had Vera Lynn songs and gave everyone a little flag to wave, honest!

I know that you’re not kidding because I think we’ve had Vera Lynn songs on every one of our 17 cruises with P&O. It certainly feels that way! They do have the odd foray into the late 20th Century (note - we are now almost 20 years into the 21st Century) but the 1950’s holiday camp style still predominates P&O’s idea of what constitutes ‘entertainment’ (“Are you all having a good time?”). Thought we might be able to escape it on Britannia, especially when paying extra to attend Claire Sweeney in the Limelight Club. However, I hadn’t appreciated that she started her career as a cruise ship singer and I almost walked out when she started singing “We’ll meet again.....” encouraging arm waving! 

Please let this be true! After having been on P&O ships where the most recent entertainment reached the 1960s this would be fantastic. On an Aurora cruise we suggested 80s music be played in one of the lounges which up until that point had no takers on the dance floor at all. As soon as Relax by FGTH came on, the dance floor was heaving & the lounge, for once, was buzzing! Not everyone onboard, including the more senior passengers, wants to be stuck back on in the 1930s!

2 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

Please let this be true! After having been on P&O ships where the most recent entertainment reached the 1960s this would be fantastic. On an Aurora cruise we suggested 80s music be played in one of the lounges which up until that point had no takers on the dance floor at all. As soon as Relax by FGTH came on, the dance floor was heaving & the lounge, for once, was buzzing! Not everyone onboard, including the more senior passengers, wants to be stuck back on in the 1930s!

On Aurora in December, the headliners show on the first evening was 'sound of the underground' which started with 2 tribes... It wasn't very well attended, perhaps the wrong ship?

Andy

5 hours ago, Bennybluehat said:

Well far as I know it is true. I'll be disappointed it its a typo in the brochure! 😄

Its a fun decade for the Ents. Department to work with. Plenty of options for dancing and other things, such as quizzes. (Wouldn't it be great to see a P&O version of Blockbusters?)

And hey, I wouldn't mind a 'Thirties Nite' either....

1 hour ago, Monorail Orange said:

Well far as I know it is true. I'll be disappointed it its a typo in the brochure! 😄

Its a fun decade for the Ents. Department to work with. Plenty of options for dancing and other things, such as quizzes. (Wouldn't it be great to see a P&O version of Blockbusters?)

And hey, I wouldn't mind a 'Thirties Nite' either....

Get yourself on Oriana, every night & day is a thirties experience - 1830s 😪

For those who will participate in the theme, what kind of outfit would you go for?

Best I can think of - just on practial ground (constraints of luggage) it'd just have to be the loudest shirt I can find. The more geometric pattern the better. Preferably in neon or pastels. 😉

That sounds 80s right? haha

You need to wear something that would allow you to walk like an Egyptian from the MDR to the theatre hoping you don't have a manic Monday, "call me" if you have problems.

Regards John

Edited by john watson