Where have all the flowers gone?

Just back from a family cruise on the Ovation of the Seas from Sydney and quite a different experience from our cruise on her sister ship, Anthem of the seas in the US late last year.

Never saw a fresh flower or carved watermelon  ( or any carved fruit or ice creations for that matter) on the Ovation but still at about half the cost of our cruise on the Anthem last year what is there to complain about (except no coffee bags available in the cabins).

The way things are going, am just a little concerned that we shall have to pack our own food on our next cruise!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bpos said:

Just back from a family cruise on the Ovation of the Seas from Sydney and quite a different experience from our cruise on her sister ship, Anthem of the seas in the US late last year.

Never saw a fresh flower or carved watermelon  ( or any carved fruit or ice creations for that matter) on the Ovation but still at about half the cost of our cruise on the Anthem last year what is there to complain about (except no coffee bags available in the cabins).

The way things are going, am just a little concerned that we shall have to pack our own food on our next cruise!

Things have seemed to slip a bit on Royal Caribbean this last season, a few people noticed.

The food ,the mixed cocktails and especially the entertainment and the ovation is one of Royal’s most profitable ships.

Actually all the Australian based ships are their most profitable in their class.

I don’t think I have ever seen coffee in the cabin ,only tea bags and I’ve heard resent reports of no kettle ,people have had ask for one.They only have kettles for Australian and English sailings.

one thing I noticed and other people commented on was all the crew were very happy,must be the profits they are making.

There will always have some food but the specialty dining will me more attractive and even that has declined to the quality of what the MDR was.

They have to pay for those new ships somehow.

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of real flowers on HAL.

Each table in lido buffet has an orchid.

Bathroom has amenities, bathrobe & also a fruit bowl in cabin.

Of course no waterslides & few kids.

Exercise around the wide teak decked promanade.

Westerdam orchid.JPG

Fruit bowl.JPG

westerdam prom deck.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I am not sure I care too much about the flowers and ice carvings but I do get your point that these things are just some of the cut backs that have happened and will continue to happen on the cruise ships.

Love the photo of the padded deck chairs going all the way up the promenade deck.

A rare sight these days on the ships I sail on.

I must give HAL a try on a future cruise, maybe the one that goes to Norkfolk Island and the west coast of NZ.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, sewgood said:

Love the photo of the padded deck chairs going all the way up the promenade deck.

A rare sight these days on the ships I sail on.

I must give HAL a try on a future cruise, maybe the one that goes to Norkfolk Island and the west coast of NZ.

When I first sailed on Pacific Eden in 2016 she still had the deck chairs with Statendam stamped on around the promenade deck but on my next voyage they had all been replaced by horrible metal and fibreglass ones.  Didn't look at all right and were most uncomfortable.  Sad.

59 minutes ago, Ondine said:

When I first sailed on Pacific Eden in 2016 she still had the deck chairs with Statendam stamped on around the promenade deck but on my next voyage they had all been replaced by horrible metal and fibreglass ones.  Didn't look at all right and were most uncomfortable.  Sad.

It seems that more ships are getting the non padded steel/mesh chairs that I would be cheaper to maintain.

21 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I really enjoyed my 3 weeks aboard the Maasdam.

Thanks Mic for your comment.

I am considering booking my next cruise on this ship and just are little bit worried about the shows of a nightime.

As we are from a small country town we do look forward to the entertainment.

But the ports of call are luring me into booking.