First solo cruise

hladygirl

I just booked my first solo cruise on the Gem out of Boston to Bermuda. Last minute. Husband has always gone with me the last 7 cruises. Couldn’t pass up the price. Now I am thinking I am crazy. What will I do with myself for 7 nights? Looking forward to it but a bit nervous that I will be lonely and awkward. Anyone have experience with this situation?

Hladygirl, what would you do with your DH? Having lost my DH, I've cruised several times as a solo and found most of my experiences to be very familiar. Do I miss having my DH, Yes, however, cruising solo can be quite liberating. I sleep until I awaken, I visit ports I want to visit, I book dining when I want to or... I go with the flow and accept other's offers of company as with the solo group meet ups.  My advice would be to not stress over things that don't really matter. Are you going to starve b/c you don't have a partner to dine, NO; are to stuck on the ship b/c you don't have a partner to visit ports with, NO. 

I feel so lucky to be able to travel even though my DH is gone. I don't worry about the ports of call nor do I worry about the fellow pax I'll meet... I always seem to meet great people and have a great time. Relax, put your mind to rest, decide that you'll have a good time and go with the flow. Enjoy.

Edited by All-ready2cruise

12 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Hladygirl, what would you do with your DH? Having lost my DH, I've cruised several times as a solo and found most of my experiences to be very familiar. Do I miss having my DH, Yes, however, cruising solo can be quite liberating. I sleep until I awaken, I visit ports I want to visit, I book dining when I want to or... I go with the flow and accept other's offers of company as with the solo group meet ups.  My advice would be to not stress over things that don't really matter. Are you going to starve b/c you don't have a partner to dine, NO; are to stuck on the ship b/c you don't have a partner to visit ports with, NO. 

I feel so lucky to be able to travel even though my DH is gone. I don't worry about the ports of call nor do I worry about the fellow pax I'll meet... I always seem to meet great people and have a great time. Relax, put your mind to rest, decide that you'll have a good time and go with the flow. Enjoy.

Thank you. That was a nice response. Makes me feel better.

My last solo I met two ladies at the meet & greet and hung out with them often. I went to the solo happy hour and while I didn't really click with the others it was an hour socializing and gave me an option to have a group for dinner. I ate by myself several nights and I didn't really mind - though I'm solo in my real life too so am used to eating alone. I'd bring my kindle and it was nice to eat dinner at my pace. 

I found how alone you were was directly related to how willing you were to start conversations with other people. 

I have never gone solo - maybe semi-solo lol? My sons are older and I am divorced and single so I sail just with my teenage daughter. So we breakfast and dinner together, all port activities... but at night I'm usually on my own. We have done several cruises and I usually meet a few people that I'll meet up with for drinks, dancing, and shows - some we have even done excursions with and hung with after the cruise... It's a different dynamic each time. I used to be nervous and now I just figure I'll find my people, but if I don't I'll be ok with that because I will still enjoy the activities. I do like a balance of alone time and company though in general....

You'll a great time, and generally I meet nice, fun people on board to chat with etc, you'll do fine!

Don't worry.  You'll have so much fun!!  Hit up the rollcall for that cruise and go to the solo meetings as a good way to meet new people and  make some friends.  I'm assuming you're going this Friday.  That price is amazing and I'd be going too if I didn't have to work this Saturday.  Chances are there will be a bunch of other solos hoping aboard for that price.  If for some reason you're leaving on the 3rd, I know there are a number of solos going that week.  They seem like a fun and friendly group so don't be shy.  Other than that...  Load up the tablet with some books or bring some real ones and enjoy some time alone with no responsibilities.