Anchorage...questions and advice request

caymancouple

So we just booked for July on the Azamara Quest out of Seward.  We booked tickets into ANC for the 15th..... gets in at midnight.  YUK!!!  We plan to rent a car to take us to our AirBnb.  Drive around a few days to see the sights, turn in our car and get transportation down to Seward.  For those of you who have done this sort of thing, would like advice.  I guess, I need to start backwards.  How did you get to Seward?  Where did you catch the ride?  Trying to decide where to rent a car.  Big extra premium to rent at the airport, but have to consider we are arriving at midnight.  What are your you MUST SEE while we are in Anchorage.... since we have a car we can drive out of the area.  Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rental rates fluctuate dramatically and constantly.  If it's costly to rent at the airport, return that car after the first day and get a different one from a different location.  Even after you have the reservation, keep checking for a better deal, up until the day you leave home.  I've rented a few times from Enterprise on Intl Airport Rd .... the savings more than covers the cost of a cab $10. 

As for how to get to Seward , options include :  Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruiseline transfer, HERTZ, various independent transfer companies ( incl AlaskaCruiseTransfer.com)

Since you're willing to drive out of town, consider these scenic drives:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/detail/hatcher-pass

Or in that same web site, look at other SCENIC DRIVES , and THINGS TO DO.

If you look back a few pages in this forum you'll find a thread called '2019 Resources for planning a visit to Alaska".  It has various web sites that will help you.  Incl https://www.anchorage.net/   

There are also 100+ detailed trip reports posted at the top of this forum .... read thru them for ideas.  Borrow Alaska travel books from your library.  Do some research in order to determine what the best options are for YOU and your interests. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

Rental rates fluctuate dramatically and constantly.  If it's costly to rent at the airport, return that car after the first day and get a different one from a different location.  Even after you have the reservation, keep checking for a better deal, up until the day you leave home.  I've rented a few times from Enterprise on Intl Airport Rd .... the savings more than covers the cost of a cab $10. 

As for how to get to Seward , options include :  Alaska Railroad, Park Connection Bus, Seward Buslines, cruiseline transfer, HERTZ, various independent transfer companies ( incl AlaskaCruiseTransfer.com)

Since you're willing to drive out of town, consider these scenic drives:

http://www.alaska.org/guide/turnagain-arm-drive

http://www.alaska.org/detail/hatcher-pass

Or in that same web site, look at other SCENIC DRIVES , and THINGS TO DO.

If you look back a few pages in this forum you'll find a thread called '2019 Resources for planning a visit to Alaska".  It has various web sites that will help you.  Incl https://www.anchorage.net/   

There are also 100+ detailed trip reports posted at the top of this forum .... read thru them for ideas.  Borrow Alaska travel books from your library.  Do some research in order to determine what the best options are for YOU and your interests. 

thanks, great advice.

We are flying into Anchorage, renting from Enterprise for 8 days (was $415, then $248, now got for $210). When we drop back at airport, taking A.C.T. Big Bus to Seward (Alaska Cruise Transportation - $124.12 for the two of us). They pick us up at the arrival terminal of the airport south terminal right across the street.

We came in a day ahead of our group and rented a car at the airport, and drove to Sutton Alaska and spent one night at the Majestic Valley Wilderness Lodge.  So beautiful.  In the morning, we had a three hour glacier trek with MICA guides on Matanuska Glacier.  Hands down, this was the best excursion of our whole Alaska cruise.  $89 for 3 hours on the glacier.  

I've told this before about renting a car in Alaska: If you happen to work for a company that has a contracted rate with a rental company you may be able to use that advantage.  I'm able to use my company contracted rate at a substantial savings over the normal rate.  My contracted rate includes the extra insurances plus extra driver at no additional charge. The typical savings even during peak tourist season is around 60%. Seriously.

On another front: While in Anchorage my favorite place to eat is Club Paris right downtown. It's an older steakhouse that's been there since the 50s and not much has changed. It's not a very big place and reservations for dinner are necessary - they are also open for lunch with a slightly different menu. Their steaks are AWESOME! Pictured is my 16 oz filet (HUGE) from a couple months ago - it has an amazing flavor and is the most tender meat I've ever had.  They have a great appetizer called Cajun Stuffed Mushrooms that I love too.  It's just a cozy place that's way cool. I think Tony Soprano would be a regular. 😎

Club Paris.jpg

Filet.jpg

Mushrooms.jpg

Scotch.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know how far your AirB&B is from the airport or to Downtown Anchorage. But there is an Enterprise Rent a Car about a mile east of the city center whose rates will be substantially lower than their airport location. I would just Uber from the airport to your lodging, then again the next morning from there to that Enterprise location. Probably the two Ubers will be less than a day's rental. 

The train from Anchorage to Seward is pretty much an all day undertaking if you are embarking on one of the days the train diverts to Whittier (where the Princess ships board) halfway down. And the scenery, at least for the first half of the train ride before the Whittier stop, is arguably nicer from the road than the train tracks. If a private car transfer is no more costly than the train you have your answer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fishywood said:

The train from Anchorage to Seward is pretty much an all day undertaking if you are embarking on one of the days the train diverts to Whittier (where the Princess ships board) halfway down. And the scenery, at least for the first half of the train ride before the Whittier stop, is arguably nicer from the road than the train tracks. If a private car transfer is no more costly than the train you have your answer.

Information is not accurate,   "all day"    is not the actual  4.25 hours.    You need to allow 3 for the Seward Highway transit.     Anchorage to Portage,  scenery is the SAME on both the train and Seward Highway.    There is NO "train diverts"  train.    There are 2 SEPARATE,  daily train routes and trains.    Scenery via train-   Anchorage/Seward is superior to the road transit.   

20 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

Information is not accurate,   "all day"    is not the actual  4.25 hours.    You need to allow 3 for the Seward Highway transit.     Anchorage to Portage,  scenery is the SAME on both the train and Seward Highway.    There is NO "train diverts"  train.    There are 2 SEPARATE,  daily train routes and trains.    Scenery via train-   Anchorage/Seward is superior to the road transit.   

OK, OK. I know the train I was on from Anchorage to Whittier was continuing further south after nearly an hour's layover in Whittier due to the tunnel schedule. So it only goes as far as Grandview. And there is a train leaving Anchorage each morning that goes directly to Seward. At 6:45 AM, arriving Seward 11:05 AM. Two hours or more before one can board their ship in many cases. So unless one has other plans for the day in Seward the near-unanimous advice upthread of travelling by road still seems best.

And I stand behind my observation that those on the highway had better views of Turnagain Arm in general, and of eagles and wildlife specifically, that I did on the train. Especially as they could pull over at the various lay-bys as they wished.

Edited by fishywood

3 hours ago, SkeeterPilot said:

There is also a train that leaves the Anchorage airport at 12:30pm that arrives in Seward at 5:00pm.  Our ship does not depart until 9:00pm so that works great for us.

This is a cruise contracted train,  which has to be booked through the cruise line and costs more.   Verify,  "you"  have no interest in touring Seward.   It can be a disadvantage to consider this,  if,  any touring interests.   Not any time in either Anchorage or Seward for much of anything.    www.seward.com       Especially excellent if wildlife and glaciers are a priority.