Sky Princess or Caribbean Princess?

cherrytwist

17 hours ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Our first Princess cruise, which made me love cruising again, was on the CB.  I think it is a great ship and it has been through a big dry dock or two so I cannot imagine why anyone would not be happy to sail on her.  We are also booked on the first transatlantic on the Sky and I know I will be equally happy about that ship as well.  The new ship experience is exciting, but I've been on older Princess ships and they were all great!

Perhaps if you got stuck in a cabin that had extremely poor air conditioning & they told you that there was noting that could be done to solve the problem and that they couldn't change your cabin either, you might feel differently about the older ship. 

The DR food was OK but we also though that the presentation of the food in the buffet was totally different then other Princess ships & didn't enjoy it at all. ie. pre-cut selections of main courses, cold desserts when they should be hot, food served in cardboard containers with condiments already placed on it. Comparatively to the other older Princess ships their change was a step backwards and not an improvement although the floor plan layout of the buffet was nice.

If you did enjoy food on the CB, you'll be thrilled with the Sky I'm sure. 

On 4/28/2019 at 1:46 PM, cherrytwist said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just a little more info in case in makes a difference...our Sky Princess booking is over the week of Christmas. We have young kids so we need a time when they're off school, plus I want to have a good amount of other kids on the ship (and avoid cruises where adults go to get *away* from kids). I don't love the idea of cruising during cold and Norovirus season, so the summer seems appealing for that reason as well. We live in Southern California so getting away from winter weather isn't much of an issue. The Sky would be like $1800 a person and the CP would be like $1000 a person, so for the four of us, plus with airfare being more expensive in December as well, that's the big thing. We could take a whole other vacation with the money we'd save! But my son (11) loves the idea of a new ship and he's obsessed with having a Medallion so we're not even looking at non-Medallion ships right now, so our choices are kind of limited. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about this all the time, so I figured I'd come on here and ask you experts. 🙂 Thanks!

Is it worth spending over $800.00 per person so an 11 year old can have his obsession over a Medallion fullfilled.  Only you can decide that.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Potstech said:

Is it worth spending over $800.00 per person so an 11 year old can have his obsession over a Medallion fullfilled.  Only you can decide that.

Actually, Caribbean Princess also has the Medallion.

On 4/28/2019 at 12:46 PM, cherrytwist said:

Thanks everyone for the replies! Just a little more info in case in makes a difference...our Sky Princess booking is over the week of Christmas. We have young kids so we need a time when they're off school, plus I want to have a good amount of other kids on the ship (and avoid cruises where adults go to get *away* from kids). I don't love the idea of cruising during cold and Norovirus season, so the summer seems appealing for that reason as well. We live in Southern California so getting away from winter weather isn't much of an issue. The Sky would be like $1800 a person and the CP would be like $1000 a person, so for the four of us, plus with airfare being more expensive in December as well, that's the big thing. We could take a whole other vacation with the money we'd save! But my son (11) loves the idea of a new ship and he's obsessed with having a Medallion so we're not even looking at non-Medallion ships right now, so our choices are kind of limited. I'm driving my husband crazy talking about this all the time, so I figured I'd come on here and ask you experts. 🙂 Thanks!

Based upon the details you mention, I would take the cruise on the Caribbean Princess.  We spent 28 days aboard her in January and February and loved it.  The only advantage to sailing on a new ship, in my experience, is that if the new ship is of a significantly different design from the ships you are used to sailing on.   My only concern with taking a summer cruise in the Caribbean sea would be the chance of a hurricane causing you to miss the ship or changing the itinerary.

I have replied once to your post; but feel I can chime in again.  Caribbean Princess will be a great ship for you and your family.  Lots for kids to do.  The Worldplace buffet was great;  good layout and food was good. They run different theme nights;  the pizza at slice pizza was very good.  Ocean Medallion worked well for us in Feb which is pretty recent.  Staff on ship was very good and attentive.  

• Like 1