Galveston Departure

karinad

We're considering a cruise departing from Galveston. We've never departed from there or been there! We have to fly into Charlotte, NC for a wedding and after the wedding we're considering going on this cruise the day after. What's the latest time our flight could get into Houston or the other airport? Is there a preference for the airport? There are direct flights into Houston from CLT. What I don't know is how far the port is or how traffic might be on a Sunday. We are considering other ports in Florida, which would probably be better. I just want to have options, plus, we have never been to Texas and would consider a post cruise visit.

Thanks!

15 hours ago, karinad said:

We're considering a cruise departing from Galveston. We've never departed from there or been there! We have to fly into Charlotte, NC for a wedding and after the wedding we're considering going on this cruise the day after. What's the latest time our flight could get into Houston or the other airport? Is there a preference for the airport? There are direct flights into Houston from CLT. What I don't know is how far the port is or how traffic might be on a Sunday. We are considering other ports in Florida, which would probably be better. I just want to have options, plus, we have never been to Texas and would consider a post cruise visit.

Thanks!

Houston Hobby is the closest airport and you can probably fly Southwest from Charlotte to there.  Average time to the port from there is about 45 minutes, barring major traffic problems.  Houston Intercontinental Bush is north of Houston, and probably about 1 hr 15 min, without any traffic issues.  I would recommend Hobby, and arriving in the morning if you can.  Most of the time, you can start boarding the ship around 11am.  Good luck!

If you stay over after cruise . 

Galveston is a  tourist destination. 

See galveston.com 

See  stroag.org 

See galvestonhistory.org

See pier21.com 

Thank you JB and SSB! I appreciate the info about the airports, since I know nothing about it and any info on Galveston is welcome! We'd love to extend our vacation and usually don't do a cruise less then 10 days.

4 hours ago, ssb said:

We live in Galveston so ask Questions 

What is the best thing to do for a family of four with teenagers on a "relative" budget? We are planning to stay after the cruise so on a Thursday!

Enjoy the area ! 

Some of the fun things to do . 

Galveston area is major tourist destination with much cultural  charm , historical properties , many  museums , Nature Tourism , festivals and events . See Moody Gardens , ,Pleasure Pier , Pier 21 ,  Moody Mansion  , Bishops Palace , Train Museum ,  Elissa Tall Ship , Dolphin Tour, La Kings Confectioners, 3 short films at Maritime Museum, Oil Rig Museum , Bryan Museum , Naval Museum , and  some of 2nd largest number of Victorian homes in US , carriage rides , tours , Old Town Strand , NASA , Kemah Boardwalk , 32 miles of beach and on and on . 

See stroag.org and galveston.com and galvestonhistory.org, bryanmuseum.org, moodygardens.org , navalmuseum.org, and others 

Edited by ssb

4 hours ago, ssb said:

Enjoy the area ! 

Some of the fun things to do . 

Galveston area is major tourist destination with much cultural  charm , historical properties , many  museums , Nature Tourism , festivals and events . See Moody Gardens , ,Pleasure Pier , Pier 21 ,  Moody Mansion  , Bishops Palace , Train Museum ,  Elissa Tall Ship , Dolphin Tour, La Kings Confectioners, 3 short films at Maritime Museum, Oil Rig Museum , Bryan Museum , Naval Museum , and  some of 2nd largest number of Victorian homes in US , carriage rides , tours , Old Town Strand , NASA , Kemah Boardwalk , 32 miles of beach and on and on . 

See stroag.org and galveston.com and galvestonhistory.org, bryanmuseum.org, moodygardens.org , navalmuseum.org, and others 

Thank you, SSB, for offering to give info! I like to take advantage of a port city because I do think it's part of the cruise experience. I'm glad to hear there's so much to do! Any suggestions about where to stay? We will not rent a car. My dh is not one to drive around an unknown area and I would hate to hear him moan! What about transportation from the airport/cruiseport and attractions and tours? It's not a vacation if we have to spend limited time getting lost. Thanks so much!!

SEE CALENDAR ON THIS LINK FOR MORE  DETAIL INFORMATION ON EACH EVENT

Special Events!

www.galvestonislandconventioncenter.com/stayandplay/events.asp

Annual Events

January

Battle of Galveston
Chili Quest & Beer Fest
Galveston ArtWalk

February
Mardi Gras! Galveston
Sacred Places Tour

March
SpringFest
Galveston Home & Garden Show
Galveston Artwalk

April
The Grand Kids Festival
FeatherFest
Ironman Triathlon
Galveston Food & Wine Festival
Earth Day
JA-GA Reggae Festival
Texas Adopt-A-Beach Clean Up

May
Historic Homes Tour
Galveston Beach Revue
Yaga’s Wild Game Cook-Off
Memorial Day Ceremony at Seawolf Park

June
AIA Sandcastle Competition
Back Garden Tour
Bands on the Sand
Summer Band Concerts
Juneteenth Celebration
Gulf Coast Volleyball Tournament
Texas Beach Ultimate Festival

July
July 4th Parade & Fireworks
Bands on the Sand
Summer Band Concerts
Texas Race Week Regatta

August
Galveston ArtWalk
Bands on the Sand

September
The Grand 1894 Opera House Season Opens
Galveston Wild Texas Shrimp Festival
Galveston Island Rebirth Race
Texas Adopt-A-Beach Clean Up
5150 Triathlon

October
Bike Around the Bay
Ghosts of Galveston
ARToberFEST
Oktoberfest
Greek Festival
Gritty Goddess

November
Lone Star Motorcycle Rally
Veteran’s Day Salute
Moody Gardens ICE & Festival of Lights
Winter Wonder Island Events
Galveston ArtWalk

December
Dickens on The Strand
Laser, Lights & Magic in the Park
Moody Gardens ICE & Festival of Lights
Santa on The Strand
Santa Hustle
Victorian Homes Tour

Monthly Events: March – October
Movie Nite on the Strand (first Saturday)
Music Nite on the Strand (second Saturday)
Market on Mechanic (third Saturday)

Edited by ssb
  • Like 1

islandpass_header.jpg

HOW IT WORKS

If you haven't been to Galveston lately, now is the perfect time to experience some of the island's unique attractions - at a price you can't refuse. The Galveston Island Pass is your key to adventure and savings while exploring the numerous attractions that make Galveston so special.

Because we want you to enjoy it for yourself, the pass allows you to select attractions that save you 40% off admission prices when you choose to visit four or more participating attractions. The pass must be used within 30 days of purchase.

In addition to our most popular attractions, did you know that you can take off on special kayak adventures with professional artists? Or, have you toured one of Galveston's many historic museums such as Moody Mansion, the Bryan Museum, or the Ocean Star Drilling Rig Museum which is the only one of its kind?

There is so much to explore on Galveston Island and if you haven't seen it all yet, it's island time!