Guest on Escape while in port

Bright1

We’ll be on the Escape in the Haven leaving from Manhattan in September.  Our daughter lives in Manhattan and we would like to have her for lunch and a tour of the ship before we leave. I know it’s an option on Oceania and wonder if it’s possible on NCL. 

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. 

I remember my grandmother cruising twice a year from New York 60 years ago.  She gave elaborate, catered "bon voyage" parties for family and friends on board each time.  My brother, cousins and I used to check out the entire ship.  We had to scramble off the ship with the "all ashore" foghorn blast.  Well-wishers on the pier would then hold one end of paper streamers while passengers on the ship held the other.  The streamers would break and the foghorn would blast again as several tugboats nudged the ship out into the Hudson. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FLAHAM said:

I remember my grandmother cruising twice a year from New York 60 years ago.  She gave elaborate, catered "bon voyage" parties for family and friends on board each time.  My brother, cousins and I used to check out the entire ship.  We had to scramble off the ship with the "all ashore" foghorn blast.  Well-wishers on the pier would then hold one end of paper streamers while passengers on the ship held the other.  The streamers would break and the foghorn would blast again as several tugboats nudged the ship out into the Hudson. 

Those were the days! How wonderful you have those memories!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

Yes ...those were the good old days!

• Like 1

Oh bringing up great memories, we were in England and one of the Blue Star ships was in a port city we were visiting.  I was 5 at the time and my Granny took me to the nursery where there was one of those real rocking horses while my parents and an officer toured the decks.  There weren't any passengers on board as I think she was going into or coming out of drydock.  I don't remember which ship it was, but I do remember the rocking horse! (Similar to this one, but with real mane too)il_570xN.1356542639_dqc6.jpg

Sorry OP ..... not hijacking but remembering long ago days.

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete's Girl said:

I understand where you're coming from.  I am disabled.  I was once a very dedicated paramedic who suffered an on the job injury which ended my career.  Because that injury went undiagnosed...or misdiagnosed, I ended up with a progressive neurological disease that attacks the sympathetic nervous system.  I am stage 4...meaning it has spread throughout my body.  It's called CRPS...Complex Regional Pain Syndrome.  There is no cure.  I am mostly housebound....and I'm not even 50.  I'll never be able to work again.  Travel, for me, requires careful planning.  Cruises work best because I don't have to walk far for a change of scenery.  I sail in the Haven....not because I'm made of money, but because it's the ONLY way for me to travel comfortably without a serious flare.  

I'm sailing on the Escape...in the Haven...in June.  I sailed her last year...in the Haven as well.  It's the only way I can do it....but in doing so, we budget down the the penny throughout the year.  For those who are disabled, staying strong mentally is paramount to survival....and travel is at the top of the list for our mental health.  It is very hard for people who don't live our life to understand that.  It is very easy to pass judgement from behind a computer screen...especially when the whole picture isn't clear....not that you're required to give one when you post a question.  

I understand where you were coming from.  The Escape is a beautiful ship and anyone would want to show their loved ones what they're sailing.....especially those of us who view travel as a treat...a treat that is never guaranteed to happen again.  Having said that, after 9/11, security changed...which made policies change.  It's too much of a risk to allow those who aren't sailing on board to walk around for a while.  I wish someone would have answered you in that way....maybe then some of the answers wouldn't have felt so hurtful.  And honestly, rude and judgmental.  Not all of the answers mind you...but some.  We're all guilty of misreading tone and intent through computer screens at times.  We've all done it.  I'm sure most have not only been on the receiving end...but we've doled it out at times too.  Judgement is a crazy thing....something that's been around since the beginning of time.  It happens with the best of us.  But I loved how you handled it and I hope maybe it'll make someone think twice about how they navigate a question in the future.  🙂 

Enjoy the hell out of your cruise.  Make as many memories as you can.  Take in every second.  Last year, I didn't think we'd be able to do this again....not only because of cost, but because of my health.  But...we're making it happen again. The only person who can decide that this will be your last cruise is YOU.  Mind over matter....that's what I say!!

Have fun!!

- Jay

Thanks so much for your response Jay. You sound like someone I’d love to spend some time with, because you have such a great outlook. It’s interesting how challenging it gets making lemonade or lemon chiffon pie out of the lemons in life. We still had lemons but sure knew what to do with them. 

Here’s to green lights and blue skies for you and yours!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, outbackpaul said:

I saw someone on the Escape on 4/28 with a badge hanging from their neck that said "Guest".  He was going around taking pictures.

Yes. They are invited press, travel agents, or others that can influence travel choices. The cruise line also sometimes invites groups onboard for special occasions (...so long as it gets them some positive press....). 

Bright1, I am so sorry for your situation! But to be fair, you never mentioned your reason for wanting your daughter to tour the ship with you. Had you done so, I'm sure the replies would have been much different. Perhaps you should have just phoned NCL and gotten a definitive answer? At any rate, I wish you the best, and enjoy your cruise!