New to HAL

minimom5

So we are booked on the Westerdam Alaska cruise this summer.  We've never cruised on HAL before and just wondering how it all works on this line.  We're used to Norwegian Freestyle cruising so this will be a new experience for us.  So, I guess we are booked for anytime dining but I'm not entirely sure what that means...do you have to make reservations ahead of time and where can you eat ?  Also wondering about entertainment.  I'm having a hard time finding info about what is available on this particular ship and if reservations need to be made ahead of time for that?  I would just appreciate any and all info or advice on how the HAL system works.  It's a little intimidating to be stepping out of our comfort zone and trying something new!

only Surcharge specialty restaurants  normally require reservations, on Westerdam, these are Pinnacle Grill  ( US Northwest coast influenced cuisine, with focus on Steaks ) and Canalleto, serving  ( more or less) Italian food.

Anytime dining is only for your principal dining venue: the Main Dining Room, and you do not need reservations, you can come indeed anytime. ( reservations can be made however, but only for a limited timeframe).

Why on Earth would anyone need or want to make reservations for entertainment while on Holiday...go see what you like, when you like and without having to pay for it is part of the destress therapy 😉

On Westerdam, you have BB Kings All Star Band, playing in the Queens lounge almost every night. Normally 3 sessions of 45 minutes. Mainly blues, jazz, soul and they are fabulous. Best bands at Sea.

also, Billboard on Board with dual pianos and players. 3 sessions per night. Sing along piano tunes, duelling pianists and a happy atmosphere. 

The Showroom at Sea has daily performers, normally 2 shows per night.

Best entertainment though: the attraction of the Sea, sky and fact that you are on a real ship instead of a floating money pinching circus with poor sea-keeping qualities ( read NCL)

Edited by Despegue

For anytime dining, you just show up when you want to. You can make reservations, but only for the earlier and later time periods. It varies from ship to ship, but reservations usually can't be made for 6:30 to 8:00.

No reservations for entertainment. What they have varies from ship to ship, and they're in the process of changing the shows. 

One thing you may not be used to is limited hours at the buffet. The buffet is not open all day. It closes down between breakfast and lunch and between lunch and dinner (although there are some snacks available). After dinner ends in the buffet there's no food there until the late snack. No huge midnight buffet.

30 minutes ago, minimom5 said:

So we are booked on the Westerdam Alaska cruise this summer.  We've never cruised on HAL before and just wondering how it all works on this line.  We're used to Norwegian Freestyle cruising so this will be a new experience for us.  So, I guess we are booked for anytime dining but I'm not entirely sure what that means...do you have to make reservations ahead of time and where can you eat ?  Also wondering about entertainment.  I'm having a hard time finding info about what is available on this particular ship and if reservations need to be made ahead of time for that?  I would just appreciate any and all info or advice on how the HAL system works.  It's a little intimidating to be stepping out of our comfort zone and trying something new!

If you are used to NCL you will find a few differences in HAL from what you are used to, the anytime dining, you can dine when you choose, you do not need a reservation.  You simply go the MDR and the Maitre'D will ask if you would like to join a larger table or if you prefer a smaller table, and they will seat you accordingly.  If you are going to one of the specialty restaurants then you should make reservations.  There are sometimes a small wait at the MDR but usually a short period if any.  They also have the lido or buffet open for all meals and many times they have the same dishes as what the MDR is serving that day.  The dress code in the dining room is somewhat more restrictive than NCL has, and they still have a formal night on HAL where NCL doesn't.  

As far as entertainment you will find that different as well, they will have two showtimes each evening and reservations are not required.  The earlier you get there the better the seats.  If you go late then seating may be a little more difficult to find.  HAL does not have the big Production shows like the MegaShips on NCL do.   

I think you find that HAL has more of a the classical cruise ship experience than NCL does, and not all the bells and whistles of the Mega Ships if that is what you had sailed with NCL.  

I enjoy both cruises and although I am platinum on NCL I have been doing more HAL cruises the last few years.  Both have great staff and very friendly service.  With an Alaskan cruise I think you will enjoy your trip with HAL as that is definitely one cruise that is all about the destination.  HAL's smaller ships can go to more places than some of the bigger ships can't get to.     Hope you have a great cruise.

Edited by travelnap

5 minutes ago, travelnap said:

If you are used to NCL you will find a few differences in HAL from what you are used to, the anytime dining, you can dine when you choose, you do not need a reservation.  You simply go the MDR and the Maitre'D will ask if you would like to join a larger table or if you prefer a smaller table, and they will seat you accordingly.  If you are going to one of the specialty restaurants then you should make reservations.  There are sometimes a small wait at the MDR but usually a short period if any.  They also have the lido or buffet open for all meals and many times they have the same dishes as what the MDR is serving that day.  The dress code in the dining room is somewhat more restrictive than NCL has, and they still have a formal night on HAL where NCL doesn't.  

As far as entertainment you will find that different as well, they will have two showtimes each evening and reservations are not required.  The earlier you get there the better the seats.  If you go late then seating may be a little more difficult to find.  HAL does not have the big Production shows like the MegaShips on NCL do.   

I think you find that HAL has more of a the classical cruise ship experience than NCL does, and not all the bells and whistles of the Mega Ships if that is what you had sailed with NCL.  

I enjoy both cruises and although I am platinum on NCL I have been doing more HAL cruises the last few years.  Both have great staff and very friendly service.  With an Alaskan cruise I think you will enjoy your trip with HAL as that is definitely one cruise that is all about the destination.  HAL's smaller ships can go to more places than some of the bigger ships can't get to.     Hope you have a great cruise.

One clarification. HAL doesn't have formal nights any more. They call it "Gala Night." The dress requirement (for the dining room) is pretty easy to meet. Men need trousers (not jeans) and a shirt with a collar. Some men still wear a jacket and tie, and a few wear tuxes. Women's dress code is comparable. Some women dress above the requirements, even a few gowns. But formal wear is definitely in the minority.

3 minutes ago, minimom5 said:

So, may I ask what is the required dress for the MDR?  Just want to make sure we are prepared and appropriate. Thanks!

From HAL's FAQ's 

• Most evenings smart casual attire is appropriate. Shorts, pool/beachwear, distressed jeans and men’s tank tops are best left to the daytime and are not permitted in fine dining restaurants.
  • Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests dress to impress for special events on board, including our five-course gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen, collared shirts and slacks are required in all fine dining restaurants.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.cruise-preparation.is-there-a-dress-code.html

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Do not miss Lincoln Center Stage when you are onboard.  There are five musicians -- four strings and a piano.  Their music selections range from strict classical to movie themes.  Only half hour concerts, so they are easy to "pop into" when they are playing (six days a week, three concerts a day).

We have done a few NCL cruises, the last was a transatlantic on Jade... we find the best in each line we are on.  

While HAL may not have the Lido buffet open 24/7, HAL has excellent no extra charge room service, or as they call it "In Room Dining".  You can order hot breakfasts even on the last morning.  You can order off the MDR menu during dining hours, but if you want to do this, call in the early part of MDR dining hours and tell them when you want it delivered.  They will bring the whole meal at once, not course by course but it is a good option to having the Lido buffet close at 8pm.   

Jeans without holes or tears are allowed in the MDR except on Gala nights; On Gala and Smart Casual nights men are expected to wear a collared shirt and long pants, no flip-flops.  

The later show time in the show room is usually only half full, the early show is more packed.  We were very impressed with NCL's extra-special closing show with magicians, acrobats, waterfalls, dancers...  it's a whole different tier on HAL, but I enjoy HAL's shows because I'm easily entertained and the ship entertainment is something I won't get at home.  Frankly there is no comparison between NCL and HAL for stage entertainment, so enjoy what they have for what it is, then if it's not to your liking you'll know first hand and make your future choices accordingly.   Westerdam is not one of the newest ships, it is medium size and age in the HAL fleet but it is a favorite for many.  Enjoy your cruise and happy planning.  m--  

Edited by RMLincoln