On Viking Jupiter - observations on updates from ealier ships

CCWineLover

I was thinking about finally booking my first VO cruise after reading this list of “What Viking Isn’t” in their new brochure.  It definitely lists that they are Non Smoking. 

But then I read this in Cocopico’s post above.  I am confused, VO says they are non smoking yet it appears they are expanding smoking areas?  Is there really smoking allowed on all VO ships?

“A few things I didn’t see on your list:

-expanded smoking area, with extended shelter and more furniture (not sure I was happy with this change)”

Thank you in advance. 

48499EA8-81EA-47C5-8D96-697B3E66EBF3.jpeg

1 hour ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I was thinking about finally booking my first VO cruise after reading this list of “What Viking Isn’t” in their new brochure.  It definitely lists that they are Non Smoking. 

But then I read this in Cocopico’s post above.  I am confused, VO says they are non smoking yet it appears they are expanding smoking areas?  Is there really smoking allowed on all VO ships?

“A few things I didn’t see on your list:

-expanded smoking area, with extended shelter and more furniture (not sure I was happy with this change)”

Thank you in advance. 

48499EA8-81EA-47C5-8D96-697B3E66EBF3.jpeg

I have seen the small designated smoking areas on Star, Orion and Sky - all in the same location on Deck 8 (outside). 

I haven’t been on Jupiter and that area may be larger .. but I am on Sky now and in the past 12 days I have walked past the smoking area a few times and I have seen zero people smoking.

I’m sure the area on Sky gets used, but it has no impact on me and I suspect it will have none on you, regardless of which ship you are on.

Edited by Little Monty
Error
  • Like 1

When we were on the Star last summer we didn't know where the smoking area was as we never saw anyone doing so.  But one day on Deck 8, we wanted to sit outside and be sheltered from the wind.  We saw this nice little area with sofas, chairs and glass screens fore and aft blocking the wind.  When we sat down there, we could smell the smoke so we knew we found the smoking section.  Looking at the 360 photos on Oyster of the Orion, that area does indeed look expanded as well as more protected.  However, how could Viking advertise no smoking if there is a designated smoking area.  Nonetheless, other then actually going into that area, we never smelled smoke so I don't think it should be an issue.

Edited by TayanaLorna
Spelling

Of course I missed the point about ‘no smoking’ in the advertising. I assume there is something in the fine print to clarify no smoking in cabins, public areas etc .. except the designated smoking area.

In any case, we have never been negatively effected and we are not concerned that some passengers do smoke on Deck 8 in the designated area.

The issue certainly wouldn’t stop us booking future cruises (we have 2 booked).

10 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Thank you all for confirming that VO indeed does allow smoking. I do find it unusual that they’d advertise no smoking. I am uncomfortable with that. It’s not a good business model. I appreciate the information.  

Didn't quite follow you.  So you agree there should be smoking somewhere, yes?  Or did I get that backwards?

On 6/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, Little Monty said:

I have seen the small designated smoking areas on Star, Orion and Sky - all in the same location on Deck 8 (outside). 

I haven’t been on Jupiter and that area may be larger .. but I am on Sky now and in the past 12 days I have walked past the smoking area a few times and I have seen zero people smoking.

I’m sure the area on Sky gets used, but it has no impact on me and I suspect it will have none on you, regardless of which ship you are on.

There is a designated smoking area on all the ships, on deck 8.  We've been on 5 VO cruises on four different ships (Star, Sea, Sky and Jupiter) and have frequently seen folks using the smoking area, sometimes as many as 5 or 6 people at a time.  I think as the cruise goes on, the smokers get to know each other and spend some time together there.  In any event, I have never noticed or been bothered by the smoke straying into any of the other areas of the ship.  At first I was concerned it might blow around the corner and down into the pool deck when the roof was open, but so far I haven't experienced that at all.  

Edited by cocopico
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Didn't quite follow you.  So you agree there should be smoking somewhere, yes?  Or did I get that backwards?

Maybe you didn’t see my earlier post regarding this advertisement from VO claiming to to be “no smoking”.   Since they do in fact allow smoking it makes one wonder what else on this advertised list “of what VO is not” that they actually do allow.  They say “ no children under 18”. But do they mean “except in the kid zone”?  

I’m not judging one way or the other on smoking. I’m judging VO on false advertising. It’s pretty blatant. 

I’m disappointed as I would really like to find a line that ACTUALLY was what the VO ad says they are not.  

62595220-B1FA-49ED-A838-0E4FC2F4DB69.jpeg

Well, other then the no smoking mistake, all the other no's are correct.  Should be "no smoking other then in one designated exterior area".  Perhaps for complete transparency it should say "no charge for alternative restaurants other then the Chefs Kitchen" (but that is really an optional excursion not a restaurant).  And to make it perfectly clear, "no entrance fee for the Spa but there are charges for Spa Services".

Kitchen Table is the extra charge restaurant.  And you do eat a meal there, so I would call it a restaurant.  I don't know if you literally eat in the kitchen, or a separate space.

Edited by zitsky

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

Kitchen versionTable is the extra charge restaurant.  And you do eat a meal there, so I would call it a restaurant.  I don't know if you literally eat in the kitchen, or a separate space.

Kitchen Table is more of a meal experience, not a restaurant.  It is a complete immersion in preparing a meal from the selecting the ingredients, preparation and then experiencing the results.  That is listed as an excursion.  Though not listed but reported, they do have another version of this they sometimes offer a cooking class version of this on sea days.  Of course no trip to the market with the chef but you are involved in the preparation and eating the results.  It is also a much more reasonably priced.  There is a short video on Youtube about this and it shows you eating where the meal was prepared and I think there may be room for 8 to partake.  I had my first M&M there.  This is a space on Deck 1 between Chef's Table and Manfretti's.  With your attention to detail, I am surprised you have not found this. 

10 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Hmmm... I'm wondering now about umbrella drinks. 🍹 

I kinda like those from time to time...

Is there a special umbrella drink drinking area on board? 😜

It's on deck 19 but it's very hard to find.  Only certain pax are allowed there.

(There is no deck 19.)  /kidding

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

Hmmm... I'm wondering now about umbrella drinks. 🍹 

I kinda like those from time to time...

Is there a special umbrella drink drinking area on board? 😜

You should bring your own little umbrellas, put one in your drink and confuse everyone.

Ha, we have too much time on our hands...getting silly here.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

You should bring your own little umbrellas, put one in your drink and confuse everyone.

Ha, we have too much time on our hands...getting silly here.

I tried that once but they were confiscated by Viking security.  😞

• Haha 1