Checking in on Southwest

mafig

It's been several years since we've flown on Southwest.

I know you have to check in at 24 hours to get a good spot.  However, do we check in twice....once for dh and once for me or does being on the same reservation count for us both?

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

As long as both tickets have the name number assigned to both you and your DH.  If they have two numbers, you must check in on each.  

OMG, I just checked and we do have two different ticket numbers.😯  Confirmation number is the same, but ticket numbers are different.  So glad you posted, thank you.

I went on the Southwest site and for checking in they ask for the confirmation number, not ticket number.  

So I would assume one check in is what is required??????

Edited by mafig

confirmation/locator number is what I'm talking about.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.  If you booked DH and your flights at the same time and have the same confirmation number, when you check in with the confirmation number both your flights will show up and you can both checkin at that time.

To clarify, even if booked together each person on a single airline reservation will have their own individual ticket number.  So two people booked together in this situation would have one reservation, or one record locator number, but two individual ticket numbers.  If you check in with the record locator, you can check in both people on the reservation.  The record locator is typically a 6 digit alphanumeric number; the ticket number is a longer one, usually 12 or 13 digits I believe.

The record locator/PNR (name varies from airline to airline) is pretty much a virtual folder that surrounds a ticket or group of tickets bought during the same transaction.  If you know the name of that 'folder'- the 6 digit code- you can use the airline's web site to look inside that folder and see all the tickets in that folder