New to NCL, just a few questions.

bichonandon

Hi there, this will be our first NCL cruise and we are excited to be booked on the Sun in a Sail Away balcony,  but of course there are some differences I've noticed right away during the booking process which makes me curious.

We like to enjoy a drink at night on our balcony, so we usually pre-order during booking a small bottle of bourbon or something. This wasn't an option during booking this time, so I was wondering if it's possible to order a bottle through room service?

We've heard that the specialty dining on NCL is awesome. Do I need to buy a package prior to sailing or may we reserve a table while we are on the ship? Since we will be on the Sun, if you have had a chance to try any of their specialty restaurants, I'd love to hear about your favorite.

Are there any adults only areas of the ship or quiet areas we could purchase access to during the day? My spouse will be using some of the time at sea to do some studying while I hang out at the pool, and we don't want to be in the steward's way. 

Thanks for any answers to the above questions, and any other advice you think someone new to NCL could benefit from.

7 minutes ago, bichonandon said:

We've heard that the specialty dining on NCL is awesome. Do I need to buy a package prior to sailing or may we reserve a table while we are on the ship?

You can make reservations in advance whether or not you have purchased the package, and can then either buy a package afterwards (either online or onboard) or just pay for the meals individually. You tell them how you are paying for them when you eat.

The only problem you could have if you don't have the package is that when booking meals at restaurants that have a fixed cover charge (ie Teppanyaki or Moderno) then you have to pay that cover charge at the time of booking, unless you have got the dining package at that point. So, if you want to book those places without paying up front you have to either buy the dining package or wait until you board.

They don't release all tables for reservation online, so you can wait until boarding and still get decent times (as long as you don't wait too long).

The most beautiful the dining room on the SUN is the dining room formerly known as Il Adagio  (La Cucina).  I thought the food was good, but the decor is just lovely.  This is the designated suite dining room for breakfast and lunch.

There is something known as a Bar Set up, you have to call about this or purchase on board.  Someone has posted the price list so it might pop up if you search this forum.

3 hours ago, bichonandon said:

We like to enjoy a drink at night on our balcony, so we usually pre-order during booking a small bottle of bourbon or something. This wasn't an option during booking this time, so I was wondering if it's possible to order a bottle through room service?

We've heard that the specialty dining on NCL is awesome. Do I need to buy a package prior to sailing or may we reserve a table while we are on the ship? Since we will be on the Sun, if you have had a chance to try any of their specialty restaurants, I'd love to hear about your favorite.

Most restaurants are a la cart. Like a McDonalds at home, you pay for what you order. If you purchase a dining package, you can use it at a restaurant to pay for a complete meal (multiple appetizers, one entree, multiple desserts). 

Or, line other cruise lines, you can dine in the complimentary restaurants every night. We do that often. There is no need to pay a penny more for a specialty restaurant. 

image.thumb.png.983641b686c8d90d728279f45556410a.png

image.thumb.png.6180087b67c978f9dc611a1b944848df.png

Great info, thanks everyone. I like the a la cart idea for the specialty restaurants.

As for alcoholic beverages in my room, I guess I'll carry on a couple bottles of wine and gladly pay the corkage fee.

Obviously food preferences vary, but our favorite restaurant on Norwegian is Le Bistro.  IMHO it has the best steak onboard and the mushroom soup is delicious. 

Sauerkraut is right (as usual) about La Cucina (oh for to still be il adagio with 40 garlic chicken and that veal chop)-it’s just a lovely place to have a romantic dinner. I really like the Osso Bucco there. 

Don’t wait until the end of the cruise to discover The Great Outdoors. This is a shaded venue on the stern. Enter through the Garden Cafe (buffet) and find our favorite place to have breakfast and lunch and to enjoy sailaway. There is a buffet station right over there, a bar in the center and an ice cream machine at the port side buffet station.  What more could one want? LOL

Hope you have a great cruise on what remains our favorite Norwegian ship. 

Edited by Clay Clayton