Arabian Gulf holidays

Good morning, 

We are thinking of doing the Dubai to Malta cruise next March, we have never been to this area and I have read all the advice on what to wear, no holding hands etc, but wonder if anyone has any experiences they could share re this area. 

My husband lives in shorts and I wonder whether he would need to wear trousers all the time ?

I have read several reviews but none seem to cover ‘clothing’ 

Any experiences re the cruise or the culture would be welcome.

Happy cruising!

Edited by Canberra forever !
Added a sentence

Try the forums on Trip Advisor, CC's sister site.  I have seen a lot there in the past.  From what I remember it depend where you are in Dubai - stolling along the beach is fine, but in the shopping malls could be a bit insulting to the locals, and it would be air conditioned anyway.  It is more a matter of manners in Dubai as they see tourists regularly, but I would feel much happier dressed appropriately.  I think other places are less laid back then Dubai about dress though.  Have you tried to get him to buy some trousers that finish just below the knee - must admit I have tried that with mine and no go, he prefers to wear full length pants even in really hot climates, though he does have some thinner cotton ones.

I do not think it will be that hot in the middle East in March so I suggest you look up the expectations for temperature then.

Edited by tring

We were in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for 10 days in Dec/Jan and 'lived in shorts' too...not a problem. In Dubai especially, you will see women wearing everything from full veiled burka to halter top and shorts, so don't worry too much. The only places you have to be careful is if you visit a mosque, where, of course, you have to be respectfully dressed (men & women). Long sleeves, legs covered and women with a head covering (scarf or similar).

Simon

10 hours ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Good morning, 

We are thinking of doing the Dubai to Malta cruise next March, we have never been to this area and I have read all the advice on what to wear, no holding hands etc, but wonder if anyone has any experiences they could share re this area. 

My husband lives in shorts and I wonder whether he would need to wear trousers all the time ?

I have read several reviews but none seem to cover ‘clothing’ 

Any experiences re the cruise or the culture would be welcome.

Happy cruising!

We have cruised 3 times from Dubai around UAE.

No problems for men wearing shorts.

Women might feel a bit uncomfortable away from the beach wearing shorts as the Arabian men and boys tend to stare at women dressed this way.

Do not drink alcohol in public and do not take co-codamol with you as it is banned in Dubai.

If you visit a mosque you must cover up knees and shoulders.

Edited by grapau27

P&O will send you info about dress code for each port. There is info also everyday in Horizon. My OH just wore jeans on the days we went to mosques. Some mosques will lend ladies a clean abaya ( but not the Grand Mosque in Abu Dhabi). We were there in March and the weather was only really hot on one day as the breeze other days kept the temperature down. I wore long shorts and short sleeve t shirts on non mosque days. I wore long trousers or maxi dress in the mosques and took a long sleeve plain shirt( Linen in my case) and scarf to wear

Cathy