Cruise Norwegian App

CruiseWizz

My husband and I have cruised many times but this will be our first NCL cruise. We will be sailing on the Escape at the end of June with a group of 17. We have all downloaded the Cruise Norwegian App and it works great from home to make dinner reservations and book shore excursions. We are thinking of purchasing the Phone and Messenger Package so we can keep in touch with our group while on board as well as make phone calls home if needed. 

My question is... how well does this app really work while on board, particularly on sea days? Does it work as advertised?

Thank you for your help. 

Edited by CruiseWizz

My DH & I have used the app on two cruises.

1. South America 2017 (so prior to the update) and we had no problems

2. Panama April 2019 -a few times messages between my DH & I didn't get through. I spoke to the tech guy and he told me it was our location on the ship that caused the glitches. Since my DH & I don't live in each others pocket when we cruise, we rely on it to ensure we can catch up with each other. I definitely think it is worth the $10.

55 minutes ago, GrammyLove said:

We were on the Breakaway last week and it worked pretty well. The deadest spot we had was in our Aft cabin near the balcony. Four of us texted and called at various times of the day.

Once you purchase the Texting feature.  Are you assigned  a temporary phone number or do you use your normal phone number?

On 5/14/2019 at 3:54 PM, CruiseWizz said:

We are thinking of purchasing the Phone and Messenger Package so we can keep in touch with our group while on board as well as make phone calls home if needed. 

I don't believe calling home is included in the price. I think it's just calls to other passengers that also paid for the service or rooms while you're on the ship.

I presume if we have the internet package we do no have to pay the $10/week?  I can't seem to find this in the FAQ, but other questions are answered there.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-faq/what-cost-phone-and-messenger-package

2 hours ago, GrammyLove said:

You are assigned a random phone number. We texted each other and then set up our address books. You can do individual and group texts. You can also call.

Thank you so VERY MUCH.   It sounds like it's worth it to try to keep in touch with our group.  Like hearding Cats. 

• Like 1

Thank you all for the info.

The web site mentions being able to make off-ship calls from within the app to the US for $0.79/minute. If we need to call home for some reason, it's less expensive than $4.99/minute from the stateroom phone.  Has anyone tried that feature?