Premium Plus Beverage Package Experience

Just got off the NCL Joy an upgraded to the Premium Plus Beverage Package. I can report that:

- every drink on the Starbucks menu WAS included. That includes frappuccinos, nitro cold brew coffee, specialty cappuccinos, lattes, everything.

- Vueve Cliquot WAS included, by the glass at bars and by the bottle at dinner. I would often ask for two glasses at a time when I went up to the bar!

- Whistle Pig Rye and Chimay beer WERE included, with zero issues.

- Bottled water brands varied, but the first couple of days it was easy to get Aqua Panna liters. After that, I was mostly given NCL's private brand water in both small and large bottles.

- Soda was only served from the fountain, NOT in cans. Cans of soda were NOT included.

The only time I was refused a drink was when I wanted a GLASS of Sterling Cabernet in the Taste dining room. They argued with me that it was not included, although the "by the glass" price was $30. I even asked for the food & beverage manager, and they simply refused to pour me a glass of that wine. I have no idea why. There is no mention of a price limit. Anything not included, like the Louis Cognac, is clearly marked as such.

Also, to make the most of your package, make sure when you order a standard cocktail (bloody mary, painkiller, mudslide, margarita, etc.) you ask the bartender to make it with a premium liquor. No problem at all, especially once they saw the Premium Plus Beverage notation on my card.

Hope this helps! I'm happy to answer any questions you may have.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, moviegal said:

Also, to make the most of your package, make sure when you order a standard cocktail (bloody mary, painkiller, mudslide, margarita, etc.) you ask the bartender to make it with a premium liquor. No problem at all, especially once they saw the Premium Plus Beverage notation on my card.

I am on the fence about the upgrade for my upcoming 5 day on the Sun. The Starbucks will be consumed daily, if not a couple of times a day. I know that I would pay the difference for wine by the glass if I wanted something over the $15 limit. Regarding the cocktails, if I wanted a floater of a liquor pour on top of my margarita, for example, what is the cost for that pour? What is the cost difference?

1 hour ago, Kirstys1 said:

If you are going on the sun you need to check terms and conditions as 3-6 day cruises on sky or sun have slightly different conditions. Starbucks except when dining is NOT included on those 2 ships. As such it may not be worth it... 

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/terms/premium-plus-beverage-package

That’s crazy! It’s still $29 pppd, the same prices listed above for other cruises. What does it matter if it is a 5 or 14 day cruise, charge the same amount. Ugh. Thanks for the heads up! 

14 hours ago, Kirstys1 said:

If you are going on the sun you need to check terms and conditions as 3-6 day cruises on sky or sun have slightly different conditions. Starbucks except when dining is NOT included on those 2 ships. As such it may not be worth it... 

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/terms/premium-plus-beverage-package

Actually, I think your link is out of date.

PPBP Terms & Conditions

Anyone know how much a bottle of water is to buy without the PPBP? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the cost of $500 (for 2 of us) to upgrade or if I'm better off just order a case or two of water to the room. I'm a big water drinker but would rather not take it out of the tap. Starbucks will also be consumed daily, if all varieties of drinks are included. We sail on the Bliss in April if that makes any difference.

15 hours ago, HeatherLynne said:

Anyone know how much a bottle of water is to buy without the PPBP? I'm trying to decide if it's worth the cost of $500 (for 2 of us) to upgrade or if I'm better off just order a case or two of water to the room. I'm a big water drinker but would rather not take it out of the tap. Starbucks will also be consumed daily, if all varieties of drinks are included. We sail on the Bliss in April if that makes any difference.

Don't remember what the package price is but a bottle (liter) is about $6. If you want sparkling water, it's not part of the package. I drink A LOT of water too (often 2-4 liters a day) and at least 1 coffee a day. But, it wouldn't have been worth it to upgrade unless we drank the expensive wine and alcohols

On 1/12/2020 at 3:45 AM, kirsten1526 said:

Don't remember what the package price is but a bottle (liter) is about $6. If you want sparkling water, it's not part of the package. I drink A LOT of water too (often 2-4 liters a day) and at least 1 coffee a day. But, it wouldn't have been worth it to upgrade unless we drank the expensive wine and alcohols

Thanks for the info!  Can you also buy smaller bottles of water? I liter bottles seem kind of big to be carting around the cruise while hanging out. And I don't like sharing with each other while traveling in case one of us ends up getting sick at some point. I usually bring reusable water bottles with us on the cruise as well, but I don't necessarily want to carry them around all day. 

I guess I'm leaning toward it probably wouldn't be worth it for us, since our add ons would really be water and coffee. We'd have to drink a lot of it to make that price worth it.

21 hours ago, HeatherLynne said:

Thanks for the info!  Can you also buy smaller bottles of water? I liter bottles seem kind of big to be carting around the cruise while hanging out. And I don't like sharing with each other while traveling in case one of us ends up getting sick at some point. I usually bring reusable water bottles with us on the cruise as well, but I don't necessarily want to carry them around all day. 

I guess I'm leaning toward it probably wouldn't be worth it for us, since our add ons would really be water and coffee. We'd have to drink a lot of it to make that price worth it.

Yes but they aren't at every bar. I think we found some at the Starbucks when we were on the Star in November (for a limited time) and then Topsiders out at the pool deck had the smaller bottles. 

• Like 1

going on Escape next month (Feb).   I am strongly considering the Premium Plus package for the better bubbly and top notch bourbons ... but kind of want to see how the standard drink package works.   Can you upgrade mid-cruise?   do they pro-rate the charge?

Thanks for all the great info.

2 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Debating on the premium. What is the cost of a plain black coffee or latte at Starbucks?

$ 4-5 before gratuity. So more likely 6-7. 

23 minutes ago, hnet999 said:

going on Escape next month (Feb).   I am strongly considering the Premium Plus package for the better bubbly and top notch bourbons ... but kind of want to see how the standard drink package works.   Can you upgrade mid-cruise?   do they pro-rate the charge?

Thanks for all the great info.

No upgrade for whole cruise only.