Anybody here cruised out of Tokyo (Yokohama) ??

Baz,

Look up when golden week is next year, it is in early May, if you are going when that is on air fares go through the roof because of it, I got caught this year as our cruise finished when golden week started, so we had to plan our holiday different so as to get airfares at a good price.

5 hours ago, qbay46 said:

Baz,

Look up when golden week is next year, it is in early May, if you are going when that is on air fares go through the roof because of it, I got caught this year as our cruise finished when golden week started, so we had to plan our holiday different so as to get airfares at a good price.

Yes, those vacation weeks can be killers to the bank balance.

15 hours ago, bazzaw said:

It will be in May next year - so 12 months away. I am not too sure about your assertion about booking early to get cheaper flights - Qantas are quoting around $700 one way in July this year ( by booking now) and $1400 for April next year.   

There's an oversupply of flights in/out of Australia currently. As a result, prices are low right now, but there are capacity cut backs through this year as they cut supply to match demand.

If it works as planned, prices will be higher next year.

We have just come back from touring Japan for two weeks. All done with the help of Google Maps and public transport. Also, in 2015, we spent five days in Tokyo and then travelled by train to Yokohama to get on a repositioning cruise on Diamond Princess. So I'm happy to help with the details if you want.

The airfares to Japan are going to be quite high next year as the Summer Olympics are being held there see https://www.olympic.org/tokyo-2020. Here 's a link to the events schedule https://footstepsofadreamer.com/the-tokyo-2020-summer-olympics-schedule-an-in-depth-guide/

Given the proximity to the Olympic games, I'd say the majority of 2020 is going to be very busy there, in fact even busier than what we found it to be in April 2019.

Both times, we've arrived at Haneda airport rather than Narita, from Melbourne. We flew Qantas from Melbourne to Sydney and Sydney to Haneda on premium economy. The flight direct from Melbourne to Narita is on A330 and these planes only offers economy or business. If you intend on spending a few days in Japan and you wish to see some of Tokyo, then it's far better to stay in Tokyo rather than in Yokohama and commute each day. Haven't really spent anytime at Yokohama as we only just went there to get on the ship.

I suggest getting Suica cards as soon as you arrive at the airport and load them up with some cash. I think 1,000.00 yen is the minimum load amount and you can purchase and load the cards at the machines near the light rail at Haneda and I'm sure there are machines at Narita airport as well. The machines can be changed to English.

The Suica doesn't provide you any discounts, but it allows you to travel across all of their trains, buses and light rail without having to constantly buy tickets. Here's a link to some information on Suica cards https://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/suica.html#suicaMap The Suica cards can be used at all sorts of places, including vending machines, 7-11 etc. You can then use the Suica card to get from Tokyo to Yokohama and then return the card for a refund at the station. We purchased ours in 2015, and reused them April 2019, and we still have them with us; but they do have an expiry date.

Tania

I usually "budget" a couple of thousand Dollars each for return trip by air to anywhere overseas ( mostly Europe) - I remember our first trip to London about 25 years ago, I am sure that we paid $2500 each for Qantas return from Heathrow - last year we paid $1600 each return by Emirates. Anyway, I can "relax" now because I just booked a one way flight Qantas to Narita for $690 each and got it for $976 total after using some old Qantas FF points which had been in my FF account for quite a while 🙂 There is a "Limousine Coach" https://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/areas/bus_stop/nrt/ycat/dep/23/via3  to Yokohama which stops outside of three hotels near the port area - as well as stopping at a bus terminal in that area also. It will be dark by the time we get there so getting dropped off at the hotel appeals to me 🙂  Thanks to everybody for all the assistance here to help me decide what was best for us.