Jamie's Restaurant chain facing collapse

2 hours ago, orville99 said:

Yes, that’s what it means. Intangible assets have little to no value to a creditor in a bankruptcy auction. 

I think that is a general sentiment but not always true. I believe, for example, that Kodak sold off its patents in bankruptcy. IP can be valuable to a competitor or even to a non-competitor. The Pan Am name lives on as a railroad and as a source of licensing revenue (nostalgic Pan Am Airways merchandise and a short-lived TV series), having been acquired through bankruptcy.

In any event, it's all academic here since Jamie Oliver's licensing business is not in administration and we don't know what the value of the license would be otherwise.

3 minutes ago, Pratique said:

I think that is a general sentiment but not always true. I believe, for example, that Kodak sold off its patents in bankruptcy. IP can be valuable to a competitor or even to a non-competitor. The Pan Am name lives on as a railroad and as a source of licensing revenue (nostalgic Pan Am Airways merchandise and a short-lived TV series), having been acquired through bankruptcy.

In any event, it's all academic here since Jamie Oliver's licensing business is not in administration and we don't know what the value of the license would be otherwise.

Patents are considered tangible assets, and in kodak’s Case were the single largest store of accessible value in the proceedings. Had it not been for those assets, the outcome could very easily have been chapter 7 liquidation instead of chapter 11 reorganization.

2 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Patents are considered tangible assets.

Sorry, have to disagree with you on that point. A patent is a right to exclude others from making, using, selling or importing an invention, nothing more, nothing tangible.

24 minutes ago, Pratique said:

Sorry, have to disagree with you on that point. A patent is a right to exclude others from making, using, selling or importing an invention, nothing more, nothing tangible.

Agree with you to the extent that a patent that exists but has not been implemented in the marketplace is difficult (if not impossible) to value. The patent portfolio that was auctioned off during the Kodak bankruptcy proceedings, however, consisted  largely of live patents that were already in wide use in the market by existing licensees, and available for licensing to future companies (like OLED technology, and the CCD array camera in every smart phone), and were seen as capable of generating significant revenue for whomever held the rights to them.  The final price for the portfolio was actually depressed somewhat because the winning bidders had to take the entire portfolio, not just cherry pick the ones that were already in the marketplace.

On 5/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I haven’t seen any information in the details released by Royal stating that Giovannis  was staying,.  The only mention of that was from the Blog site that is not affiliated with Royal.  I’ve seen the information that was released to TA’s and it did not mention any specialty restaurants.  

Hmmm. Maybe royal had some inside info...