Jamie's Restaurant chain facing collapse

I think this presents an opportunity to move away from co-branding with land based restaurants.  I doubt they would move back to Giovanni's simply because they would want to come up with something newer/innovative.  

The current "trend" seems to be with dinners where the guests are involved in some of the prep and learning about their food.  Perhaps "timed" dinner sessions served family style where people prepare pastas and side dishes in a semi-kitchen environment where the "mains" are prepared by chefs.  A unique, immersive, fun experience that I think lends itself well to Italian cooking and its many varies

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Has anyone ever had a meal in one of the land based restaurants?  I was wondering how they compare to the ships restaurant?

The food is no better, and nowhere near worth the cost onboard. Will not miss them if RCL pulls them off their ships. Would be happy if they brought back Portofino. It's been downhill on quality ever since they left.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Which did you like better?  I like the food at Giovanni's....but thought the set up and service was better at Portofinos.  

I liked things at each, hard to choose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Host Clarea said:

I liked things at each, hard to choose.

Agree.  Maybe RCI could come up with a survey about what features we liked from both...then combine them into a new Italian restaurant of their own ...that is not part of a chain.  

Oh what am I saying...that just makes too much sense for them to do something that simple.  😮😉 

• Like 2

"Jamie Oliver Holdings, which operates Jamie Oliver Limited and Jamie Oliver Licensing Limited, as well as the international restaurant franchise business, Jamie's Italian International Limited, will continue to trade as normal."

No change for RCI ships then

46 minutes ago, sxphil said:

"Jamie Oliver Holdings, which operates Jamie Oliver Limited and Jamie Oliver Licensing Limited, as well as the international restaurant franchise business, Jamie's Italian International Limited, will continue to trade as normal."

No change for RCI ships then

Not necessarily. I presume RCL is one of JIIL's franchisee's. Depending on the terms of the franchise agreement, RCL may very well be able (or even encouraged by JIIL) to terminate their agreement (Franchisors incur significant costs to support their franchisees). Considering that Jamie Oliver has sunk more than $3MM into the parent company to keep his ship afloat, the required franchisor support in the franchise agreement may disappear depending on what happens with the parent company's creditors in the British administration (bankruptcy) courts.

Edited by orville99

From a news source in Uk

KPMG has so far declined to comment, but indicated only the UK side of the business is affected.

Jamie's Italian has collapsed (Photo: Leon Neal/Getty Images)

Oliver has 61 franchised outlets in 25 countries. He also has six on Royal Caribbean cruise ships, and a dozen more pencilled in to open later in 2019.

A group statement said: "Jamie Oliver Holdings, which operates Jamie Oliver Limited and Jamie Oliver Licensing Limited, as well as the international restaurant franchise business, Jamie’s Italian International Limited, will continue to trade as normal. Fifteen Cornwall, which operates under a franchise, is also unaffected."

40 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

I could go for the Portofino seafood skewer right now.  

Speidino di Mare!

Hard to for me to give up the Giovanni's risoto or tiramisu.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I think this presents an opportunity to move away from co-branding with land based restaurants.  I doubt they would move back to Giovanni's simply because they would want to come up with something newer/innovative.  

The current "trend" seems to be with dinners where the guests are involved in some of the prep and learning about their food.  Perhaps "timed" dinner sessions served family style where people prepare pastas and side dishes in a semi-kitchen environment where the "mains" are prepared by chefs.  A unique, immersive, fun experience that I think lends itself well to Italian cooking and its many varies

Would this mean that the guests involved in the food prep would also get a % of the pooled gratuities 😉

dp

• Like 3
  • Haha 1